Thread: eBay irritation

Angry eBay irritation

This is irritating me far more than it logically should.

I bought a pair of snowblades on eBay. Everyone needs a pair for drunken antics, and I found a pair in Denver for minimal money. So I bought them.

I live in Teton Village, WY. Mail is kinda screwy here, as USPS doesn't deliver to my street address. Consequently, we include a PO box on line 2 of the address so that a package will be delivered no matter how it is sent. If it comes UPS or FedEx, it gets dropped at my door. If it comes USPS, I go over to the post office to pick it up. This isn't odd for small, rather snowy locations. My place in Tahoe City way back when was the same way.

The trick here is that when someone looks up my address, USPS tries to autocorrect to the same street address (which doesn't exist) in Jackson, WY, which has a different zip code. Every so often, some jackass says, "This guy can't possibly know his own address, I'm going to ship to the USPS provided address, which doesn't exist in a town that's 30 minutes away from him." When this happens, my shit ends up at the Jackson Hole airport at Hertz Rental Car (a further 30ish minutes away, maybe a little less, but I'm pissed so I'm exaggerating in my favor), as they share my PO box number, but in Jackson. Lots of fun. I try to head these things off when I see tracking with an 83001 destination (Jackson) as opposed to my zip, 83025. Usually that works, but sometimes the bone-head will insist he has the correct address and I have to run to the airport to get the damned thing. I'm usually successful in getting shipping charges refunded in these cases.

Enter this eBay seller. I saw the package was headed to (and then delivered to before I contacted her) 83001. So I write her a note asking what address she sent the thing to, and she response with the correct address. Success! I think. At this point, I'm guessing it's just there for processing and will show up at my post office in a few days.

It doesn't move for a few days, so I call Hertz and tell them that they got another one of my packages. I think turnover there is high enough that they don't remember these things. The guy (totally cool) tells me that they got a package slip, but didn't pick it up. He then leaves on vacation that afternoon, with the mailbox key. He apparently doesn't have a cell phone on him during vacation, which isn't a surprise.

My girlfriend works in town and had to go to the airport one day, so she walks in and inquires about the package. They tell her it's still at the post office, so she ends up picking it up on her way back through town.

I send eBay seller a note with a picture of the shipping label, saying (I'm paraphrasing, I was actually polite) "you fucked up, I (and my girl) spent lots of time correcting your fuckup, please refund shipping and I won't leave feedback." She accuses me of entering the address wrong. I leave negative feedback. She contacts eBay, somehow has it removed. I contact eBay, say "WTF, where did you think this was supposed to go? Where did it go?" They answer correctly, profusely apologize, and agree that feedback should stay or she should refund shipping. *edit* Side note - I either got the same person I talked to last time with the slightly odd intonation, or they have a really good version of Siri, complete with feigned empathy.

Now we wait. I really don't know why this angers me as much as it does.

So, TGR, what should I do? Especially if eBay tells me to pound sand and backs her.
    Last edited by mangle; 08-12-2015 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mangle View Post
    They answer correctly, profusely apologize, and agree that feedback should stay or she should refund shipping.
    Quote Originally Posted by mangle View Post
    So, TGR, what should I do? Especially if eBay tells me to pound sand and backs her.
    Wait, doesn't that statement answer your question? Maybe I didn't read it right, but you said they agreed with you, and then they might back her?

Also, add to whatever actually happens: Find her home address and... feces under the door handles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

It takes you 30min to get from Teton Village to Jackson? You must drive really goddamn slow.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Wait, doesn't that statement answer your question? Maybe I didn't read it right, but you said they agreed with you, and then they might back her?
    Feedback removal is a different department, apparently. The person I talked to couldn't fathom how the feedback was removed. I have little faith in bureaucracies.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    It takes you 30min to get from Teton Village to Jackson? You must drive really goddamn slow.
    Have you seen road construction and tourist traffic recently?! It's usually a little less, but, again, I'm slightly exaggerating in my favor.

The Post Office here is a pain but living in paradise you should not be this angry
    I think you need to go shed the monster
    http://www.peopleforbikes.org/pages/shed-the-monster

Sweet blog

I've determined selling on ebay is a certified pain in the ass. The buyer has (nearly) all the leverage and the seller has to kiss ass during every step in the process.
    Sell a used screwgun that has a nick in the handle that you didn't tell the seller about? Negative reviews for you buddy.

I think the auto correct address thing happens for a lot of shopping sites.

You admit to buying snow blades and you want sympathy here ? Use a easier ship to address(friend, business, dealer, place of employment etc.) or buy shit locally and avoid future problems.

everyone needs a pair?

how do you have a girlfriend?

are teton village posers always this verbose?
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    You admit to buying snow blades and you want sympathy here ? Use a easier ship to address(friend, business, dealer, place of employment etc.) or buy shit locally and avoid future problems.
    Yeah, this. The whole address thing sounds like a pain in the ass for the seller, IMHO. I haven't sold on eBay in a long time but when I did I fucking hated weird addresses for this exact reason.

You eventually ended up getting your snowlerblades, in AUGUST mind you. Leave it alone.

Use a easier ship to address(friend, business, dealer, place of employment etc.) or buy shit locally and avoid future problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by soups818 View Post
    Yeah, this. The whole address thing sounds like a pain in the ass for the seller, IMHO. I haven't sold on eBay in a long time but when I did I fucking hated weird addresses for this exact reason.

You eventually ended up getting your snowlerblades, in AUGUST mind you. Leave it alone.
    So maybe I'm missing something, but why is an address ever a problem when I enter it properly? Do you not just copy and paste it into USPS or whoever you use to send a package? She had to go through some effort to fuck it up the way she did. I've never had this problem with an eBay purchase before.

No quiver is complete without a pair of snowblades for that one day a year.

I always confirm with online sellers of any type what method of shipping they use and give them the appropriate physical or POB.

Also, instead of using two lines, put your POB# after the dash on your zip.

Works 90% of the time.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

you lost me at snowblades...

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I always confirm with online sellers of any type what method of shipping they use and give them the appropriate physical or POB.

Also, instead of using two lines, put your POB# after the dash on your zip.

Works 90% of the time.
    And this is exactly what they tell us to do here but people don't always do it. It's especially helpful for when your grandma sends pkgs but can't remember to use the PO Box #
    OP- seriously- 4 digit box # at the end of the zip will cure all your ills. done and done

or buy shit locally and avoid future problems.
    But there are no snowblades for sale in Teton Village because everyone needs a pair and no one is selling.

If the irritation leads to chapping, I usually reach for some of this:
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

I had the EXACT scenario happen to me (as a buyer) just last month. Initially the buyer said he shipped to correct addy and he won the dispute, eBay closed my request for refund. Wrong. It ended up in Vail 65 miles away. I won in dispute so they refunded me, but I had to call them to prove my correct shipping addy. They tracked the package, saw it was not delivered to me in Steamboat, and reversed the decision.

For shits and grins, I called the PO in Vail, they said they would send someone to pick up the package at the addy it was delivered to. But alas, I never received said free package. Ah well. At least I got my $ back. The lady that helped me on the phone at eBay was actually very cordial.

sheeit, I read the thread title all wrong. I thought the OP was looking for enema supplies on eBay. Shudder. Now I get it. Irritation, not irrigation. Of course used irrigation supplies could lead to irritation I suppose.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

eBay irritation

Don't buy from a vendor who uses USPS, or ship it to your work. Problem solved

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    blah ... blah ... blah. The lady that helped me on the phone at eBay was actually very cordial.
    What?!? You actually spoke to a human being at Ebay? I call bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    What?!? You actually spoke to a human being at Ebay? I call bullshit.
    I spoke to a real person today, too. At this point, eBay people are baffled. They've confirmed that I entered the address correctly, and they keep saying that all you have to do at that point (on the seller's end) is click print for the shipping label. They set up a did-not-receive-item thing and said it would work itself out. I'm satisfied I've made my point.

But for the address thing - The TV postmaster tells us to put it on the second line. We never have problems except when the shipper decides to accept the USPS suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by soups818 View Post

Agreed... you got your blades, who cares