Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I'm a big fan of 1x for everyday riding and enduro racing but for xc racing I haven't decided on a one setup fit all gearing. I switch out gears or bikes depending on the terrain and length of the race.

After this past weekends race I think Im going with 30t. I found myself using the small ring a bit towards the end, and I hope to race more.

They (LBS) are switching out my cassette for a SRAM because my cassette does not let all the cogs come off, they come off in groups. And because Im going with a 30t they suggested a 40t in the back not a 42t. Does that sound right?
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Ditch my front derailleur..

I put a 30t raceface n/w on my SC Tallboy last year. Best upgrade I've ever made. No bashguard just make sure you have a clutch rear derailleur.

I have a 30t up front and a 42t in back. It's great, especially on long steep climbs.

I've run a race face narrow wide 32tooth this year on my 1x9. I'm sure the clutch rear derailleur would help, but I just have a X9 short cage and haven't had any issues. Maybe 1 chain drop in 1500 miles. I probably had more chain drops when I was running an outside bashquard and jumpstop on the inside.