Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ireland/Scotland Trip Recs

The wife and I are finalizing the details for a 10 day trip to Ireland at the end of September/first part of October. Our schedule and location will most likely be as follows:
    September 24-25- Galway
    25-26- Doolin
    26-28 – Kinsale
    28-29- Kilkenny
    29th- depart for Scotland
    29-October 1st- Inverness
    1-2- Edinburgh
    2-3 Dublin

I will be researching over the next few weeks, but I am hoping some of you may be able to give me a heads up on some cool shit to do. Outdoor related suggestions are always favored, but I know weather will likely be an issue. Otherwise she is a huge foodie, and I am generally up for whatever as long as there is booze involved.

Any can't miss stuff in those areas?

Really a compressed and hurried schedule. But if you have already arranged things....GLTY.

I did just southern Ireland a couple Novembers ago and felt like 9 days was a whirlwind and I had a car and tend to move fast.

in scotland

Glenmorangie distillery tour
    https://glenmorangie.com/us/experiences#distillery-tour

if you can spare a couple of days for a drive, drive up to Thurso & drive west and then south along the coast to

(and apparently the tourism board has it branded now)
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...hes-ruins.html

stay at B&Bs -- but have limited expectations for tasty or interesting breakfast
    back when i did it, google maps was waayy off on timing since the roads were single wide w/ turnouts every so often

I'd do a day in Edinburgh, and take your other Scotland day for driving around the Highlands. You've got Inverness, so hike around Glencoe/Fort William, or go over to the Cairngorms and do the same. The Trossachs/Loch Lomond are sweet too.

For Galway, Connemara is great. (Quiet Man Bridge was cool to drive by.) Aran Islands are super cool, but pretty much kill an entire day.

But seriously, one day in Edinburgh (beautiful city, but not huge), and another driving/hiking around the Highlands/distillery touring.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by PaDuKa View Post
    The wife and I are finalizing the details for a 10 day trip to Ireland at the end of September/first part of October. Our schedule and location will most likely be as follows:
    September 24-25- Galway
    25-26- Doolin
    26-28 – Kinsale
    28-29- Kilkenny
    29th- depart for Scotland
    29-October 1st- Inverness
    1-2- Edinburgh
    2-3 Dublin

I will be researching over the next few weeks, but I am hoping some of you may be able to give me a heads up on some cool shit to do. Outdoor related suggestions are always favored, but I know weather will likely be an issue. Otherwise she is a huge foodie, and I am generally up for whatever as long as there is booze involved.

Any can't miss stuff in those areas?
    You're going to Endinburgh and then back to Dublin?

Edinburgh is a cool city/town. Definitely hit Cliff of Moher which I assume you know about. Beyond that I'm not much help unless you want to play golf. Really cool places to play over there.

^^^ Guessing for flight reasons. Lots of direct flights from US into Dublin, but don't think there are many, if any, into Edinburgh. Cheap quick flight from Edinburgh back to Dublin.
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by strawjack View Post
    You're going to Endinburgh and then back to Dublin?
    Yeah, kinda the way plane tickets worked out. It was cheapest to fly in and out of Dublin, but my wife has a very good friend in Edinburgh that she wants to visit. We ended up getting super cheap tickets to fly one way (both ways) to Edinburgh on Aer Lingus.

Otherwise, thanks for the feedback. We are planning on hitting up the Cliff's of Moher and driving around the Highlands near Inverness. The Aran Islands look interesting, but I am not sure we will devote a whole day. Some of the climbing by Doolan looks really cool as well (Ailladie looks awesome but stout), but its not that kind of trip. We will be carrying on so I will have room for trail runners and not much more.

Don't miss Glendalough, one of the most beautiful walks through wild nature I've ever done - truly spectacular. Near Kilkenny www.glendalough.ie

In Dublin, my favorite pubs were away from Temple Bar (although you must visit the iconic Temple Bar pub once), I loved Doheny & Nesbitt, and you must have a drink at the nearby hotel The Shelbourne. Dublin has become a foodie town, I had many great meals there - but it all depends on budget. Chapter One should not be missed.

Have fun, Ireland and Scotland are amazing countries filled with incredibly nice people.

Kilkenny

^^as you wish

^^as you wish
    Gotta like the little "Princess Bride" reference too.

I've been to Ireland a few times, never been to Scotland. Seems like you're trying to cover too much ground in Ireland in the time allotted but it will be fine. You'll see some landscapes and towns that you'll want to see again, all good. When you're in Galway go down to the main square in town and know my family used to own it, and sold it for about $25K in 1950 or so. Thought they scored big. Ooops.

My cousins live just outside of town, if you want some local "colour" they can provide it. Let me know if so.

Aer Lingus
    Besides being a sexual sounding name, I've never been fully comfortable with the concept of Irishmen flying planes. Singing songs, serving drinks, telling stories, horse racing and things relating to sheep I'm down with.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

pfft, they don't let actual Micks fly the planes you moron.

Go to the Spaniard in Kinsale. Damn good authentic old ass irish pub.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Seems like you're trying to cover too much ground in Ireland/Scotland in the time allotted but it will be fine. You'll see some landscapes and towns that you'll want to see again, all good.
    We have been to Ireland and Scotland a few times and both country's are awesome. Your schedule really is very fast (even for me, Mr short attention span) As far as Inverness is concerned, are you flying in there?? Why? Unless there is a reason to be that far north, I would skip it and hit the areas around Edinburgh, Glasgow and Oban for a short trip. If you can swing it, stay at the Balmoral Hotel in Edinburgh for a few nights. Walk up Princes St to the castle and take in the sights. It is an awesome city. Then take the train over to Glasgow and stay downtown. Lots of sights to see, museums, etc. Then rent a car and drive out to Oban. I wish I could remember the name of the place we stayed. It was about a 6 room estate house over looking the ocean to the Isle of Mull. Was really fun drinking Scotch with my step dad and the property owner. Scotland has great food and drink and the Scots are fucking funny people. I love it there. Do your homework and have a great time.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Make sure to get shitfaced in a little pub with a bunch of local dudes and sing this at the top of your drunkass lungs.

I wouldn't stay in Inverness unless you have a good reason to. It does give access to some awesome Highland wilderness. There is a train over to the Kyle of Lochalsh (iirc) which gives access to Skye, which is stunning. But the train also stops at plenty of places which give access to great hill walking (if that's your thing). Or you can head down to Aviemore on a different train for access to the Cairngorms.
    The far northwest of Scotland is stunning and hardly anyone visits (including Brits) so take the opportunity to have a look around (and pray for decent weather)
    fur bearing, drunk, prancing eurosnob

Scotland offers outstanding:
    Atlantic Salmon fishing
    Mountain Biking - Fort William (and other trail centres)
    Sea Kayaking off the west highlands
    Deer hunting/stalking
    Mountain climbing/hiking (cost nothing apart from price of a map)

I'd spend less time in the cities and head for the hills, islands and the coast and do stuff (see above).

This place is a little known gem, fantastic food, so fresh out the sea !
    http://www.lochlevenseafoodcafe.co.uk/restaurant/

As cities go, I think Edinburgh has much more going for it than Dublin, world class museums, art galleries, and the castle all within walking distance amongst great architecture. With the time you have I would give Inverness a miss and spend the time in the Highlands / west coast.

In Ireland head west, fast, Galway and the Connemara's are highlights. I have lived in both countries for most of my adult life and in my opinion Scotland's majestic scenery beats Ireland by a long way, get amongst it.
    Gone fishing

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    As far as Inverness is concerned, are you flying in there?? Why? Unless there is a reason to be that far north, I would skip it and hit the areas around Edinburgh, Glasgow and Oban for a short trip.
    We are renting a car and will be driving from Edinburgh to Inverness, then back to Edinburgh to catch a flight back to Dublin. We picked Inverness because it seemed like a good gateway to exploring the Highlands. We have a placed booked in Inverness for two nights but can always change that. Would we be better off instead driving to the west side of the Highlands region and using a town there as a home base? If so, any recommendations?

Also, does anybody have good a good recommendation for a car rental? I think I have the CDW issue in hand. I am just looking for a good rental company over there. I receive a quote for 54 euros a day form carhire.ie which seems like a good rate.

Here's a current TripAdvisor forum thread on American's renting (hiring) cars in Ireland - different quotes received from different companies: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...ty_Dublin.html

We are renting a car and will be driving from Edinburgh to Inverness, then back to Edinburgh to catch a flight back to Dublin. We picked Inverness because it seemed like a good gateway to exploring the Highlands. We have a placed booked in Inverness for two nights but can always change that. Would we be better off instead driving to the west side of the Highlands region and using a town there as a home base? If so, any recommendations?
    One trip we flew in to Edinburgh, stayed in town a few days (just because I love that city) and then rented a car and drove up to the Whiskey Trail region. So if that is what your after, Inverness could work. We stayed at little B&Bs and I kind of remember staying in Dufftown at a B&B where the proprietors wife was a gourmet cook and he had an incredible selection of Scotch. I wish I could remember the place for you, as it was central to a bunch of distillery's and we had several days fun in the area before driving down to Oban on the west Coast. As other have suggested, Scotland rules. I thing no matter what you decide on you will have a great time.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Don't kiss the Blarney Stone - locals pee on it.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

The last couple of times in Edinburgh we (family get-together) ate at a nice french place in Grassmarket below the castle

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Gotta like the little "Princess Bride" reference too.

I've been to Ireland a few times, never been to Scotland. Seems like you're trying to cover too much ground in Ireland in the time allotted but it will be fine. You'll see some landscapes and towns that you'll want to see again, all good. When you're in Galway go down to the main square in town and know my family used to own it, and sold it for about $25K in 1950 or so. Thought they scored big. Ooops.

My cousins live just outside of town, if you want some local "colour" they can provide it. Let me know if so.
    I might take you up on that. We are going to be in Galway during the Oyster Festival so it should be a fun time, but it would be nice to have some local beta for non-touristy pubs and restaurants (unless the whole town is a shit show that week).