Northern Nicaragua surf camp

I have been invited to go to surf camp in northern nic. Never been surfing and don't board. I ski. If you don't know me, I pretty much run things in the padded room and jackson/Wilson.

Anyways this place is called thunderbomb surf or something mildly annoying. It's north of managuna or something.

Any first hand experience? A cursory search of your esteemed domain showed it may be pretty boring and just be a small op with little to do but chase waves.

I guess I'd prefer a more exotic locale with more activities easily available.

So I have never surfed and have swam in the ocean one time in Mexico. The cost of the camp is a bit steep for what is provided.

Wouldn't a surf camp be pretty limiting for a dude who has only been to the tropics one time?
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Nica waves are easy waves. Just watch for da stingrays and sunburns DD.

Do you want to learn to surf or do you just want to go on a sweet central american vacation? If you want to learn to surf than do the camp. I tried to learn on my own/ with friends and I ended up swallowing /projectile vomiting alotta sea water. They'll have the right equipment etc to learn too (although agree that is a stupidly annoying name for their camp)
    Also group trips can be an annoying shit show unless you know it's a good group and everyone's on a similar page so I'd take that into account too

Apr 24, 2015: “Inhospitable to Women and Beginner Surfers”

Well, then that is two strikes for DD.

DD, there is no way you will learn to surf. Better to spend your money at a hedonist camp.

Unless you want to learn. Still, I'd rather go some where else, and cheaper, if you just want to splash around in the surf a bit.

Northern Nicaragua surf camp

What's my first strike?

You surfers are wise. I'd rather go to Peru and surf there with the ancients.

Surfs up dudeClick image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1439265670.045291.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	168747

Each Reply exceeds expectations. Very well crafted
    Zone Controller

Well. You are a self proclaimed newb. And things are inhospitable for beginners. And women. So

I didn't look at your camp, but chances are, you can go some where way more fun, for way less and with plenty to do else where in Central America. No need to go all the way to Peru.

I've limited experience with camps, but have enjoyed my travels much more than any camp. Every camp I've been it ultimately kind of sucks. The more all inclusive, the worse it gets. I dunno, kind of like fascist and shit.

And if you are serious, I'm sure there are folks around here that can point you in several directions.

Oh, and the tropics suck. Way to fucking hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Well. You are a self proclaimed newb. And things are inhospitable for beginners. And women. So

I didn't look at your camp, but chances are, you can go some where way more fun, for way less and with plenty to do else where in Central America. No need to go all the way to Peru.

I've limited experience with camps, but have enjoyed my travels much more than any camp. Every camp I've been it ultimately kind of sucks. The more all inclusive, the worse it gets. I dunno, kind of like fascist and shit.

And if you are serious, I'm sure there are folks around here that can point you in several directions.

Oh, and the tropics suck. Way to fucking hot.
    well being from MN anything south is the tropics

and i was thinking the same thing about camps, restrictive nonsense and borderline passive fascism
    Zone Controller

since it's sounds like you haven't done a ton of travel S of the border I would also rec Belize for super easy tropical-type/ island relaxation vacationing too. The mainland is great- jungley and then they have some excellent little islands you can take a water taxi to and then just chhhhillll.
    http://www.lonelyplanet.com/belize/t...s/caye-caulker

We went a couple yrs ago and I don't think andrew put on shoes for the whole week we were there (and that includes dining out) not much surfing but excellent snorkeling and fishing.
    We also were offered weed the minute we stepped off the boat too which was a nice touch

my name is Andrew

baby bear, come with me to belize and i will finance your trip
    Zone Controller

unfortunately andrew1 would probably not appreciate me running off with an internet acquaintance...but belize is nice

Quote Originally Posted by baby bear View Post
    unfortunately andrew1 would probably not appreciate me running off with an internet acquaintance...but belize is nice
    he may if he knew it was DD taking you

your rep and skill level would increase 2 full points
    Zone Controller

If you're not going to surf then save your money and go somewhere else. A lot of the beaches in Nica are somewhat remote and offer limited things for a non-surfer to do (except possibly San Juan Del Sur). I hear northern Nica is less populated than southern parts, your options as a non-surfer will probably consist of....drink at surfcamp bar (usually not many bars to choose from in the jungle), fish, chill on the beach, chill some more, drink, and watch everyone else get the waves of their lives while you basically do nothing the entire trip.

Surfing? Really? You do know it's Shark Week right?

i never said i wasnt going to surf, just that i never have and probably dont want that to be the activity everyday.

seems overpriced too, as heli runs are 179$ a pop in CO

appreciate all the sage input
    Zone Controller

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    he may if he knew it was DD taking you

your rep and skill level would increase 2 full points
    I'm already up to 11....
    I will let you accompany me to 16BBI if you choose to attend

Quote Originally Posted by baby bear View Post
    I'm already up to 11....
    I will let you accompany me to 16BBI if you choose to attend
    im the guest of honor at 16BBI

everyone will be vying for my attention, what can you offer other than your beautiful white fur coat?
    Zone Controller

An idea would be to find a cheap flight to San Diego or Orange County, take a couple surf lessons over a couple days and see how you like it. I wouldn't commit a week of vacation and a bunch of money to an activity that I wasn't sure I liked. Although, I don't recall meeting many people that don't like to surf, but most find it very challenging to learn and your lack of ocean (swimming?) experience might add to the frustration.

im sure surfing is as dope or doper than skiing

but lacking even a cursory knowledge of the ocean, surfing or tropical locations i will pass

better off hitting belize and getting some snorkeling done

i doubt id sing up for a "camp" of any kind, i aint no kiddie
    Zone Controller