Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Shipping skis cheaply

I need to ship a pair of skis and bindings. What service is the most affordable for this?

Thanks

Get an acct I like fedex.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

I believe USPS typically comes out cheapest, but they're all pretty close to the same. I usually just compare UPS, FedEx, and USPS and go from there.

I don't know the weigh of the package so comparing online is not really an option... I suppose I could get a ballpark estimate. If they are all pretty close I will just use USPS

Well, you're gonna need to know the weight to ship it...

Ballpark it. Add about 3-5lbs for packaging over the weight of the skis.

Cutting them into small pieces and put in a flat rate shipping box from USPS.

You asked for cheap, not good

One option is to take binders off and ship in a flat rate box and ship separate from the skis, which can now be wrapped in cardboard, not boxed and goes out much cheaper. Several years ago I shipped mounted skis and bindings, and it was about $80.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I like UPS, but your results may vary. And it is usually cheaper and much easier to ship bindings and skis separately, in my experience.
    JigaRex Universal Ski Mounting Jig

Fedex is always cheapest for me. $30-$40 usually for skis depending where you ship to

Just sent (light and sorry) skis 2-day via USPS insured for $15 from Montana to Utah. Flat, though. Seems to uphold the idea presented of pulling bindings off.

OP, didn't you start another thread on this same topic a while ago?
    Anyway, if you go USPS, you can usually save 30-40% by pre-printing the label and paying online. Just hop on a scale with and without the package to get a ballpark weight.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayItLeo View Post
    ...if you go USPS, you can usually save 30-40% by pre-printing the label and paying online...
    Forgot to mention that. Good call. I think for me it was about 50-60%.

Anyway, if you go USPS, you can usually save 30-40% by pre-printing the label and paying online. Just hop on a scale with and without the package to get a ballpark weight.
    Whoa, nice pro tip. Or, what rock have I been hiding under to not know that.

OP, didn't you start another thread on this same topic a while ago?
    This works if your postmaster isn't a dick. I've had 2 sets of skis returned to my house for more postage (balloon rate) even when I entered the dimensions correctly (even added a few " in each direction and went a few lbs over) online and pre-printed online. To get around this, I now create it on usps and the drop it off at the UPS store.

FedEx is bullshit. They allow you to create a shipment, print everything and then charge you and it always higher than what they quoted when you put in your measurements. If you have a FedEx account, go back and check your invoices - they're fucking you. Customer service blamed it on me saying I wasn't putting enough in for dimensions / weight (as mentioned above - I actually add more in) and that the price they quote is subject to change. Always get charged higher though? I call bullshit. I even swapped out scales for a buddies and still overcharged. Said fuck it and closed my account. Strictly USPS or UPS now.

Feel the passion in those words

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool1080s View Post
    I now create it on usps and the drop it off at the UPS store.
    How does THAT work? Or do you mean you create it on ups?

Ok ... just for a reference point, I hopped into my FedEx account and keyed in the following parameters:

Package: 76 x 6 x 6, 12 Lbs. (assume skis w/o bindings)
    Insured for $350
    Shippng from Colorado to NY City (to a home address)
    Rate for ground is $35.91

Assuming bindings ...

Changing to 75 x 10 x 10 / 19 Lbs / insured for $600 bumps it to $61.40 for ground delivery to a residential address.

Note that if you walk up to the counter to ship the same item, you'd likely pay double or more. If you ship one thing a year, it definitely pays to set up an account and pre-print the label. I assume the same to be true of UPS.

Cheers,
    Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    How does THAT work? Or do you mean you create it on ups?
    The UPS store accepts pre-printed drop offs from UPS or USPS packages. They get a small commission when they take a USPS drop off. Maybe $0.25?

anybody done grey hound bus lately?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool1080s View Post
    The UPS store accepts pre-printed drop offs from UPS or USPS packages. They get a small commission when they take a USPS drop off. Maybe $0.25?
    Wow. I thought it was a typo. I'll have to give that a try! Thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    anybody done grey hound bus lately?
    I had a 6 pound BCA Float 32 shipped from Calgary to Nelson (800 km approx) and it cost me $33.00 - expensive I figured.

How about international heavy package shipping, what's the cheapest way to go? My brother in Louisiana has some bindings for me which hopefully can be flown over with family sometime between now and Christmas but otherwise I'll need to look into shipping options.

In the EU we have a lot of sites that function as brokers for couriers where you always end up getting a much cheaper rate than going directly to a courier without an account. www.parcelmonkey.co.uk, www.interparcel.com, www.ecoparcel.eu, etc. Is there nothing similar in the US, specifically ones which can ship internationally?

I just got a quote from usps counter of $187 for a 10lb ski box of “normal” dimensions. Skis are 161cm + some added box length. Could not convince this dude this was impossible. USPS getting out of the big box game or did I just find a moron?
    Went FedEx Ground for $39 which still felt high but didn’t have the patience to check UPS. Was expecting $30ish so $9 won’t kill me.
    Had to get to work.....
    Confused and somewhat annoying
    Uno mas

I use FedEx ground, create a shipment at home and drop it off at a FedEx store. I haven't been overcharged doing this.

Tip: if you can ship to a business address it's cheaper than home.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I should add I was going MA to CA so coast to coast under $40 didn’t seem redonk
    It was the $187 I can’t get over.
    Uno mas

If you ship to Canadia you'd better hope that god would have mercy on you cuz UPS won't. Pushing $300 last time I tried.