Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

You have $1M to invest-how to get a 10%+ ROI?

So as some of you may know, I have been in the mortgage biz since 2004 and frankly the last 7 years hasn't been the greatest when compared to the first 23 years. I am to old to French kiss Realtor assholes for leads anymore and the refi boom of the last 4 years is ending, so what to do now?

I know a few of the maggots work/invested in legal weed operations. Whether that was a grow op, distribution or retail shops, I would appreciate some feed back (via pm is fine) on your experiences and thoughts for opportunities and risks in the industry. As I can't get a 10% return on 30 year T Bills, don't want more tenants and am clueless what else to invest in, maybe moving to Oregon is in my future?

I know asking for advice on the internetz is retarded, but I am obviously bored out of my fucking mind and need to start on a new endeavor one of these days. Your food for thought is appreciated or at least post up something stupid to make us all laugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

jgb@etree Guest
    You should have invested that $1mm into AQXP on Friday AM @ $2.70, and sold it this AM at $46.

Read my signature about hindsight.
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    So as some of you may know, I have been in the mortgage biz since 2004 and frankly the last 7 years hasn't been the greatest when compared to the first 23 years.
    Is that 23 years partly in dog years?

On your Q -- 10% ROI with what level of risk?

This could be an interesting thread...
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

• Start an indie ski company.
    • Buy an old fishing boat, put in sliding glass doors for whale watching and sell it to pio
    • Start a cocaine submarine company
    • Call Bobby's neighbor; become her modeling agent/promoter
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post

you serious?

OP, you serious? you wanna invest 1 million dollars into illegal enterprise posing as legal?

there is no 10% return strategy, if there was everyone would be doing it

your million doesnt make you special, it just makes you a mark

short term gains are for suckers

OP you'd be best off in using that money to get an education about farming and farming methods, then maybe if money left over buy a farm and hire farmhands to reap your 10%
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

edit

10% returns easy

start fulfilling govt contracts
    Zone Controller

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    OP you'd be best off in using that money to get an education about farming and farming methods, then maybe if money left over buy a farm and hire farmhands to reap your 10%
    bootlicker
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

you serious?
    Pretty sure he said he wanted to invest $1MM not $37. This thread is way out of your league DD.

Two chicks at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Pretty sure he said he wanted to invest $1MM not $37. This thread is way out of your league DD.
    this thread is a fucking joke

flip flopper live2ski begging for that 10% return

real market makers go for much higher ROI like 800%
    Zone Controller

property in an up/coming city
    you must know commercial RE folks, right?

real market makers go for much higher ROI like 800%
    Well then, a cocaine sub is the only thing I can think of with that kind of return (tax free). Unless Bobby's neighbor hits it big on the silver screen.

At best, with the indie ski company you're looking at 12%. Pio's flaky, so that's no sure thing either.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Is that 23 years partly in dog years?

On your Q -- 10% ROI with what level of risk?

El Chup, I feel like an old dog and learning new tricks is tough. Level of risk is a tough question. I mean some Redumbcunt gets elected as POTUS, imposes a Federal crack down on states rights and all the legal weed peeps get crushed. It could happen, so that consideration is in the back of my mind. City of San Diego was so retarded on the Medical businesses a few years back, it put me off from trying that down here. So it is a tough call.

Open up an e-cig store.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

10% ROI, YOY, today, means some combination of luck, risk, favorable market returns, or mixing in your own work (e.g. buy/ fix-up/ rent/ manage real estate).

IMHO (and I look at this from the perspective that -- overall -- the stock market always goes up, although there will be short(er)-term losses) -- invest it in whatever mix of low-cost broad-based mutual funds that suits your particular risk tolerance, selected asset allocation, and tax situation. Me, I'd put it something like 80/20 (or 70/30, or 85/15 -- whatever you believe works for you) in a mix of VTSAX/ VBTLX). I don't buy individual stocks or bonds or try to time the market. I expect to see a long-term average of 7-8% with this mix, though some years will be higher and some will be lower -- and even negative. The last several years have been much higher, but who knows if that will continue.

get that twitter stock for 28$ a share

get yourself 35,000 shares of mutha
    Zone Controller

Re: investing in weed. A local (New Mexico) legal medical cannabis shop lost a reported $750,000 worth of plants when the local cops called in feds to "help" with an investigation after a butane fire/explosion in the oil extraction room.
    http://www.sfreporter.com/santafe/ar...ys-no-way.html

Take-away point: risk is significant.

Have you considered investing in real estate?

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Have you considered investing in real estate?
    Yep, I was going to sell a few rentals to get the $1M to invest. The RE gives about a gross 4.8% annual return based on its value. Net return is closer to closer to 4% annual. Appreciation has been strong over the last few years, but there is a good chance that will turn around in the next year or 2??????

You have the expertise in RE, why not accept a more modest return/lifestyle and contract out the rental mgmt you are able to?

If I were you I'd invest in commercial real estate in a soon to be legal state like NV, and then keep half a dozen properties with good cash flow to give you a fall back plan and long term peace of mind. If the residential properties do well, great. If the commercial re does well and you feel like more investment in MJ is warranted, get after it. Splitting funds between those two gives you a somewhat balanced r/r profile, with the possibility of free time to enjoy hobbies/family.

Starting an MJ business sounds like really long hours to start, along with higher risk than being an infrastructure provider to the MJ industry.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Yep, I was going to sell a few rentals to get the $1M to invest. The RE gives about a gross 4.8% annual return based on its value. Net return is closer to closer to 4% annual. Appreciation has been strong over the last few years, but there is a good chance that will turn around in the next year or 2??????
    What is the ROI as opposed to ROE?

Oh, and this....
    Last edited by irul&ublo; 08-10-2015 at 12:45 PM.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

The only real answer is to buy yourself a job. Buy a Jimmie John's franchise or something.

10% annually is impossible without huge risk. If you know real estate stick with that for investment. Buy an apartment building in Oregon or Tahoe Maybe an RV Park.

You in Southern California?
    Contact Vanacker at UBS.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Marry wealth