Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Knocked myself out yesterday - still feelin it today

So I cased a pretty big gap yesterday which speared me into the ground head first. Knocked myself out and couldn't walk straight for a few minutes after I got back up. Definitely got some sort of concussion. Have a pretty wicked headache today. Is there any kind of care or therapy I can do to help recover? Or things I should be concerned about?

Do you have a sig other/ gf/wife around that will notice if you keep sleeping or are acting weird (ie asking same question over again etc) Often rip van winkle-like sleep can happen after a concussion
    If not we can make sure you chk in here every 3 hours or so
    Hope you feel better soon
    skid luxury

Avoid bright light, stay well hydrated, and relaxing always seems to help me. Take it easy for awhile. Concussions take time to heal.

Get your brain scanned for fuck's sake. Had a friend in high school slowly die of a brain bleed after a blow to the head. Don't fuck around with head trauma.

I have lots of friends who've had concussions lately... some are taking a year to fully recoop. Go see a doctor.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    Don't fuck around with head trauma.
    Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    . Go see a doctor.
    all that. ^^^^

Yup. As they said. Especially if you had a loss of consciousness.
    Remember Sarah Burke. And Liam Neeson's wife went back to the hotel room after hers. Never woke up.

Good rule of thumb: avoid anything that can cause another concussion for at least a week. You're at way higher risk for causing further more serious injury right now. Take it easy.
    However many are in a shit ton.

What has already been said AND note that THE very worse thing you can do right now IS get another concussion
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Get a CAT scan. Seriously. Do not fuck around with head trauma.

Assuming all is clear after that, chill the fuck out, don't drink, don't do impact sports, and for the love of God don't do anything where hitting your head again is a possibility for awhile.

I was very conservative after a severe concussion in 2009 and I still have lasting effects, and probably always will. Take this seriously.

Sounds good. I seem to be doing ok and yeah, wasn't planning on doing much of anything for at least the next week. Forgot my gf's dad is a pretty conservative neurosurgeon that does lots of head trauma cases, so I just spoke to him and seems to think a scan isn't necessary in this situation, considering its been 24 hours (ie no nausea or significant sensitivity to light). Says to get a scan if anything changes for the worse and says it sounds like some brain bruising. Been staying at the gf's, so she's keeping an eye on me. I do seem to be feeling slightly better throughout the day. Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Forgot my gf's dad is a pretty conservative neurosurgeon
    Not a good sign

if a head injured patient is under the care of a doctor and has been examined you don't need necessarily always need to do the knee jerk 'get a scan' approach. Cat scans involve a lot of radiation to your brain - increases the risk of tumors down the road. The cover your ass approach taken by busy emergency rooms where they scan everyone with a head injury is going to lead to a lot of unnecessary brain tumors decades from now.
    Last edited by bennymac; 02-16-2016 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    Not a good sign
    That's what i was thinking! First sign there might be a problem: forgetting that your gf's dad is a neurosurgeon when you have a possible head injury; instead post question on TGR.
    Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    Come for the poo-slinging, Save a fortune on a plumber.

Apart from the advise to avoid hitting your head again, avoiding TV, computer screens, phones etc for the first couple of days after a concussion is normally good practise.

There is physical therapy specific to improving recovery from concussions. Look into it. It'll probably take much longer than a week for things to be back to normal. You really want to avoid anything that would give you another for quite a while. With anything medical we can't say for sure what will happen, just what increases and decreases risks

you will be fine
    happened to me two years ago, folded the wheel on some wet roots. pile driver into the ground
    knocked out cold, got up started moving and went down again, glad my buddy was there.
    no doctors and no hospital, take it easy for a week
    good to go
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    There is physical therapy specific to improving recovery from concussions. Look into it. It'll probably take much longer than a week for things to be back to normal. You really want to avoid anything that would give you another for quite a while. With anything medical we can't say for sure what will happen, just what increases and decreases risks
    Was going to post this same thing. PT I see has specialized in it to degree. He has worked with many professional athletes and I've seen one (hockey player) of them profess his adoring admiration for the results. Apparently some of the lasting headache issues are due to neck issues that can be treated manually. Also, there are preventative exercises that can be done to mitigate the risk of getting another concussion.

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    you will be fine
    happened to me two years ago, folded the wheel on some wet roots. pile driver into the ground
    knocked out cold, got up started moving and went down again, glad my buddy was there.
    no doctors and no hospital, take it easy for a week
    good to go
    Yeah totally, all head injuries are the same.

I always had neck problems for a few weeks after getting my bell rung.

Lindahl, do you ever go a full season of skiing or biking without a significant injury?

Quote Originally Posted by flowtron's ghost View Post
    Yeah totally, all head injuries are the same.
    Or go and clog up the system, and get an unnecessary scan. just so the professional can tell you the same thing. You watch to much television, guy. Take a lap
    crab in my shoe mouth

I see what you're getting at, and yeah - had many of em. The last 2 years I've had a couple flukes (hidden stumps, wierd tumble) and made a couple mistakes (acl and this head one). Its been a rough go. Prior to that I was completely injury free. This is probably the first one I can chalk up to 'more balls than skill' though. Thought I had the speed but came up short - should've thrown a peddle stroke or two in, coming into it - barely clipped the rear tire on the transition lip.

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Or go and clog up the system, and get an unnecessary scan. just so the professional can tell you the same thing. You watch to much television, guy. Take a lap
    You having untreated brain injuries explains so much, guy.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Lindahl, do you ever go a full season of skiing or biking without a significant injury?
    That thought crossed my mind... Maybe time to dial it back a little?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    You having untreated brain injuries explains so much, guy.
    I was knocked out, it wasn't a brain injury, you fucking pussy.
    Put some mineral ice on your bush hump.
    And then
    Take a lap
    crab in my shoe mouth