Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    the elephant in the room is ... can buddy's busted body physiclay handle skiing
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Probably. When I was working at Stevens I had instructor friends in their 60s and 70s with double knee and hip replacements. Maybe can't pound the bumps or rip off-piste hardpack, but pow, corn/slush, and soft groomers, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Use to be busted, surgery is fixing all of that. I won't let my body fail me.

Quote Originally Posted by TomCrac View Post
    Source?
    Personal observation

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Please, just answer this. Are you a snowboarder, or skier?
    I ski.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Personal observation

I ski.
    I have a few friends that came from skiing to snowboarding and they all caught on within a week. By mid season they could ride anywhere we were. I assume the opposite transition isn't that hard. Beginners have reasons it takes them a long time to progress. We all know what it is. They are fucking scared to death of going fast, and super scared of steeps. So they have to get over all that fear before they can really learn how to ski or snowboard. I have none of that fear. I love going fast in the steeps, or finding sections where you have to be really precise with your turns. I also know the importance of a good foundation. That starts with boots, and a good instructor that YOU feel comfortable with, and that will teach you in a way you can actually learn.

I'm assuming the ankle flexion is much different than snowboarding but you do use quite a bit of ankle flexion in snowboarding. I always had the stiffest boots I could find. Although they are soft, they are very stiff at least for a snowboard boot. Hand positions I'm assuming that's going to be a strange thing since I'll be holding poles. Is there a good or bad pole for a beginner?

Just curious. Have you ever seen this transition happen? From "shredding" a lot to better than 95% of the other skiers in two to three months?

Do you know how to ski? Well?
    I'd say it took my buddy about a week from being a former snowboard racer to skiing better than 95% of the people on the mountain, including me. So yeah I have seen it happen. 95% of the people on the mountain ski like shit anyway.

Not sure what you define as "skiing well" but for what it's worth I can and regularly do ski pretty much any terrain, including no falls zones and mandatories up to 10-15 feet. Unfortunately no big drops. I'm too much of a coward in that regard. And still, this has nothing to do with whether somebody else can quickly pick up skiing. So kind of irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by stickz View Post
    I.Hand positions I'm assuming that's going to be a strange thing since I'll be holding poles. Is there a good or bad pole for a beginner?
    Any poles you hold behind you are not good, if you can see the pole grips in your periphery lookin thru the gogs ... thats good

Quote Originally Posted by whippersnapper View Post
    Wait, this is backwards. Rent skis to learn on, change it up, demo some good ones, and *then* once you can ski fairly well you'll know what general type of skis you'll like. You're gonna learn very quickly, since you understand how snow behaves and you're fine with speed and balance.
    A month ago there were a shit ton of sub $300 skis. I'd pick up a pair in a heart beat. Or buy something on gear swap for $100. Why deal with the hassle of renting. Sure, demo when it is free, otherwise, buy a ski and learn how to ski it

[QUOTE=stickz;4534566] I assume the opposite transition isn't that hard.[/ QUOTE]

I assume you're wrong. I also assume you will discover that on your first powder day, or, even better, your first wind blown or even slushy powder day. That was my first revalation when I learned to ride. Holy shit, difficult snow is easy. Two planks vs one.
    It's why I advise most who want to try "skiing" to snowboard instead, if they are like most, and will only really get, at the most, 15 days a year. It's easier, after those horrible first few days.

You will discover a whole lot more mountain on skis than you did on a board. There are tons of places on large mountains you simply can not get to on a board on a powder day. Like, 75% of the East Wall at ABasin, to start. A whole lot of Jackson Hole, too. Numerous other examples.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Benny Profane; 08-13-2015 at 08:56 PM.

A large cliff in the HBM side country keeps about 99% of the boarders from acessing about 50% of the available chair side runs in or out of bounds, they may do it once but they don't lap the side country

The best poles for a beginner are cheap ones from value village or a garage sale. You will fall on them, step on them and mangle them. You might even manage to bend them. Better start with some poles that can take a beating and be thrown away at the end of the year.

I feel there's a few guys on here projecting there fears or short comings on me. That's cool. New just outta back surgery and I can already feel so much more of my left foot it's amazing.

Sadly no more boarding need skis now

[QUOTE=Benny Profane;4534688]
    I assume the opposite transition isn't that hard.[/ QUOTE]

I assume you're wrong. I also assume you will discover that on your first powder day, or, even better, your first wind blown or even slushy powder day. That was my first revalation when I learned to ride. Holy shit, difficult snow is easy. Two planks vs one.
    It's why I advise most who want to try "skiing" to snowboard instead, if they are like most, and will only really get, at the most, 15 days a year. It's easier, after those horrible first few days.

You will discover a whole lot more mountain on skis than you did on a board. There are tons of places on large mountains you simply can not get to on a board on a powder day. Like, 75% of the East Wall at ABasin, to start. A whole lot of Jackson Hole, too. Numerous other examples.

Good luck.
    You're the only one to say it will be hard for me. I've never heard anyone say try snowboarding first, that's fucking crazy. The first few days on a board are horrible. Most never go back their second day. So why you would recommend that is beyond me. And dude go tell Jeremy Jones he can't get to places on his board.
    Last edited by stickz; 08-14-2015 at 12:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    The best poles for a beginner are cheap ones from value village or a garage sale. You will fall on them, step on them and mangle them. You might even manage to bend them. Better start with some poles that can take a beating and be thrown away at the end of the year.
    Do you have a pair we can include in our deal?

[QUOTE=stickz;4534773]

You're the only one to say it will be hard for me. Not sure why you feel this way but I appreciate the honest feedback. I've never heard anyone say try snowboarding first, that's fucking crazy. The first few days on a board are horrible. Most never go back their second day. So why you would recommend that is beyond me.

Because skiing is harder to learn. Especially powder skiing. And, if this person is like most, they won't be on the hill more than 15-20 days a year. So, take the easy route and snowboard. I warn them about the punishment at first, and tell them to wear body armor.

[QUOTE=Benny Profane;4534794]

Because skiing is harder to learn. Especially powder skiing. And, if this person is like most, they won't be on the hill more than 15-20 days a year. So, take the easy route and snowboard. I warn them about the punishment at first, and tell them to wear body armor.
    Do you even snowboard, from your comments I feel like you don't. Powder riding on a snowboard in the NW is anything but taking the easy route. Do you live and ski in the cascades? Also you seem more negative than anyone else on this thread. All you've done is question everyone's comments, seemingly trying to start an argument. Your starting to annoy me. Take your 19k posts and post somewhere. Stay off my thread. Your input isn't wanted or needed.
    Last edited by stickz; 08-14-2015 at 12:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    Said the guy who gets hurt on the chair.
    Lol.
    Last edited by stickz; 08-14-2015 at 12:17 AM.

Surgery was a success. PT said I was walking and moving better than anyone she's ever seen after the surgery I had. I said the mtns are a very powerful motivation.

Wink

I boarded for 20 years or so before taking up the two-planks....

I really enjoyed the learning process - trying to teach your body to respond differently, taking joy in rocking a green run, then a blue, then a black.

Skiing powder on some ridiculously fat skis was a real joy - find a way to pick up a pair - smearing is in a boarder's DNA after all.

Choosing the right ski out of the gate wasn't much of an issue really - because you'll just end up buying 4-5 pairs by the end of this season, right?

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    I boarded for 20 years or so before taking up the two-planks....

I really enjoyed the learning process - trying to teach your body to respond differently, taking joy in rocking a green run, then a blue, then a black.

Skiing powder on some ridiculously fat skis was a real joy - find a way to pick up a pair - smearing is in a boarder's DNA after all.

Choosing the right ski out of the gate wasn't much of an issue really - because you'll just end up buying 4-5 pairs by the end of this season, right?
    Right you are brother. Are you as stoked at skiing as you were at boarding. I'm already buying two complete pairs of planks from a member here. 80mm underfoot and 106mm underfoot. Included is an all day lesson which is fucking rad.

Right you are brother. Are you as stoked at skiing as you were at boarding. I'm already buying two complete pairs of planks from a member here. 80mm underfoot and 106mm underfoot. Included is an all day lesson which is fucking rad.
    Definitely just as stoked - it was (still is) a brand new shiny toy. Enough so that after the first season of mixing between both I went full on skiing. Although - after a couple seasons off I did pull out the board and take it out on the second half of a powder day at Alpental after the ski legs were toast and the snow went to mush - was a nice way to extend the day. Course, I could have just had stronger ski-legs.

That's the sad part of this thing. Most skiers would drop Jeremy Jones 100 yards past the entrance to most bowl traverses. Of course, Jeremy is dropping out of helicopters in exotic places, so, I guess he's got me. Lucky him.

Dude, really love your optimistic spirit, but, skiing isn't as easy as riding. Just the way it is. Good luck.

That's the sad part of this thing. Most skiers would drop Jeremy Jones 100 yards past the entrance to most bowl traverses. Of course, Jeremy is dropping out of helicopters in exotic places, so, I guess he's got me. Lucky him.

Dude, really love your optimistic spirit, but, skiing isn't as easy as riding. Just the way it is. Good luck.
    I agree, Benny; totally different learning curve. Skiing is easy to begin with, but it's so much harder to get good. Snowboarding is a pain in the arse the first couple of days, then it gets so easy.

To the OP: I'm not here to tell you what board to ride, but do you know why so many boarders ride powder on short little lunch trays (mounted duck stance at 25"), when you can ride a long, rockered swallowtail powder gun? Zero leaning back to keep the nose from diving, just balanced joy. It seems to me that skiing learned from snowboarding and got wise to wide, rockered planks, while boarding went backwards.

Anyhoo, good luck with your endeavours. Be humble, and expect a long, gradual learning process.

Yeah I've heard that am I was just getting out of surgery when I wrote that and was groggy and prob was being a dick. The great part is idc how long it takes to get good at skiing, with a positive attitude and hard work I'll get there quicker than most.