Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    just get a big bag of weed and you will have lots of homies
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    sounds like he's in WA, everyone here has a big bag of weed now.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Take it from someone who has spent good money on a pair of skis before they knew anything about them(they're like new and I gave them away)

BUY SOMETHING CHEAP!

You don't have a clue how any skis will perform at this point so there's a very high chance you may not like what you buy.I can tell by reading through this you really want to be a badass by the end of the season. Likely by then you will have a better understanding of how different skis feel. Keith makes great skis. I own praxis skis myself. But, learn to ski beforehand so you develop your own style, then buy a ski that fits that style.

When you get your boots, if you are anywhere near a 307bsl I have a handful of different skis you can try out if you come out to white pass or alpental this winter. Most of us are happy to help.

This ^^ get something used/cheap is the way to go and with the bag of weed even telemark skis will feel pretty good ... until you ruin out

He's already stated that money is no object and he's on his way to stomping AK. Anything else missing?

Leavenworth and all the other 1st class humans who chipped in make this one of those threads that really brings a smile to my face.

As far as bootfitters in the Washington area, I found this reference on user GregL's randosaigai website: http://www.randosaigai.com/profile.html

I've come to respect Greg's opinion, and offer that you could do worse than to have a conversation with Jim Mates' Custom Boot Service. The link to his shop is at the bottom of that URL.

Disclaimer: no affiliation, etc.

Also, please revisit this thread from time to time this Winter. I'd love to hear about your progress.

Cheers,
    Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1439424565.386462.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	229.1 KB 
ID:	168793
    I got that covered bro.

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    Take it from someone who has spent good money on a pair of skis before they knew anything about them(they're like new and I gave them away)

BUY SOMETHING CHEAP!

You don't have a clue how any skis will perform at this point so there's a very high chance you may not like what you buy.I can tell by reading through this you really want to be a badass by the end of the season. Likely by then you will have a better understanding of how different skis feel. Keith makes great skis. I own praxis skis myself. But, learn to ski beforehand so you develop your own style, then buy a ski that fits that style.

When you get your boots, if you are anywhere near a 307bsl I have a handful of different skis you can try out if you come out to white pass or alpental this winter. Most of us are happy to help.
    Either way I'll come to to white pass and ski with you. Thanks for the offer very cool of a lot of people on this thread. I try and get about 10 days a yr away from Stevens.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Leavenworth and all the other 1st class humans who chipped in make this one of those threads that really brings a smile to my face.

As far as bootfitters in the Washington area, I found this reference on user GregL's randosaigai website: http://www.randosaigai.com/profile.html

I've come to respect Greg's opinion, and offer that you could do worse than to have a conversation with Jim Mates' Custom Boot Service. The link to his shop is at the bottom of that URL.

Disclaimer: no affiliation, etc.

Also, please revisit this thread from time to time this Winter. I'd love to hear about your progress.

Cheers,
    Thom
    I too am very stoked at the generosity of complete strangers to me on this thread. I will keep this post updated weekly on my progress so as I'm sure it can help others who are just getting started skiing. Weather they come from boarding or not.

This ^^ get something used/cheap is the way to go and with the bag of weed even telemark skis will feel pretty good ... until you ruin out
    I don't EVER run out. But shatter is what's the preferred thing to smoke these days.

Quote Originally Posted by TomCrac View Post
    He's already stated that money is no object and he's on his way to stomping AK. Anything else missing?
    If I ever get to rip AK, other than my kids being born will prob be the most exciting day of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveLarger View Post
    But a guy who is shredding 60 days a season now, will pick up skiing a lot faster than the random douche. It will be like two/three months and he is likely skiing better than 95% of people on the mountain. Given that he has been shredding 60 days a season for a while and continue to do so.
    Just curious. Have you ever seen this transition happen? From "shredding" a lot to better than 95% of the other skiers in two to three months?

Do you know how to ski? Well?

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Just curious. Have you ever seen this transition happen? From "shredding" a lot to better than 95% of the other skiers in two to three months?

Do you know how to ski? Well?
    Said the guy who gets hurt on the chair.

Nice garden

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    That Don't Make No Sense

People who are athletic who come from snowboarding generally have no problem picking up skiing. It doesn't take long. Generally 3 to five days of decent instruction and practice and they can ski most anywhere.
    People who have trouble picking up skiing are the ones who can't walk in ski boots and want to go in after three hours for hot chocolate.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    People who are athletic who come from snowboarding generally have no problem picking up skiing. It doesn't take long. Generally 3 to five days of decent instruction and practice and they can ski most anywhere.
    Source?

People who have trouble picking up skiing are the ones who can't walk in ski boots and want to go in after three hours for hot chocolate.
    Please, just answer this. Are you a snowboarder, or skier?

IMO, it is easier to transition from skier to boarder than from boarder to skier- just an observation of having taken up boarding after 20+yrs skiing, and giving ski lessons to a freakin' ripping snowboarder (and very accomplished cyclist and supurb athlete) who wanted to transition to AT. Part of it is getting the boots dialed- coming from soft boots to a hard shell and getting the nuance of ankle flexion dialed, and the differences in stance(obviously), alignment, and hand position are the biggest challenges. In any case, people who rip on one or the other generally don't have the fear of going fast or of falling to overcome and will be able to get into advanced terrain pretty quick; it's doing it with fluidity and style that takes more time to learn. Get a few lessons in from a competent instructor and after ~5 days you should have no problem getting into the same terrain you did on a board, doing it with confidence and style takes longer but 1-2 seasons of 60+ days will get you there. Many skiers never do.

I have trashed my knees from decades of skiing and boarding is worse on them; actually it's the left one and riding the chair with the rear foot unstrapped puts stress on the knee that's still strapped in.

my son was originaly taught to ski but was never really into it so he switched to boarding at age 12, now he wants to backcountry so i suggested it would be better to tour on skis than fuck with a spilt IF he could ski and apparently he picked up skiing pretty quick again, the ski gear is a lot better than 20 yrs ago

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    stay the fuck off the high traverse.
    the boarder I'm talking about is a master of the water walk; a select few have the skill to glide all of the high-T.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    a select few have the skill to glide all of the high-T.
    Mofrosbro is one of the best

Quote Originally Posted by Cabinfever View Post
    Nice garden

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Thanks bro, we just spent 15k to upgrade all our lights, new 48000 btu mini split, al plasmas in veg double ended hps in flower.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    praxis Rx
    Think I'm going with the MVPs in a special flex. Keith and I have been talking for a few days now. And also going to buy Leavenworthskier used gear and take him up on the lessons.

Pussies.

Yup, lots of instructor friends have gone from snowboarding to skiing in that short of time. Like Mofro said, hardest thing is ankle flexion, back seat stance and dragging hands.

The toughest thing that often brings all those issues out is them wanting to get on too aggressive of terrain too quickly without having fundamentals down, which causes them to revert to snowboard mode...