Golden, CO Clear Creek WW Park- couple Qs

I'm going to be in Golden next month to honor BigKuba as he commits himself, before God, to the institution of marriage, and was thinking of renting gear and checking out the park. It has been probably 10 years since I last paddled at all, and maybe 15 since I ran anything other than the tidal rapid near our house, but back in the Pirouette S days I was fairly competent. Everyone else wants to go ride bikes, but I can do that at home; conversely, I don't have a boat or easy access to whitewater, plus kayaking is fucking fun.

So... is this pretty cool? Will it be absolutely packed on a Saturday afternoon in August? Where should I rent? Are there ops that run shuttles or is it an easy/short portage back to the top of the course? Is there even gonna be water in this thing given the dry conditions? Does anyone post in this forum? Will this thread get zero replies? Finally, would anyone want to meet up and boat for a couple hours?

For better or worse, I think I'm the only CO kayaker around these days.

It's a good park. It is more like an enhance Class 2/3 river than a couple dedicated play features. It is a really good place to practice. It is probably a half mile long with a trail along it.

The chance of me being in the city in August are about zero. If I was there I'd go to the park with you however. For all thinks whitewater in Colorado check http://www.mountainbuzz.com/ It is currently flowing 300cfs and should hold at boatable flows all summer. It is designed for low water.

If you've got more time or can convince some of your crew for a day outing, I'd suggest getting your beer drink ducky party on at the Upper Colorado (Rancho to State Bridge) https://www.coloradorivercenter.com/rentals.html A pretty classic activity.

Congrats to Kuba. I didn't know you ran in the same crowd. While Golden is very cool, the best think is the proximity to the mountains. Get outta town!

Yes it will be busy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=983Ph9ZCcKI in August but there really is only one little beach section that can be over run.

Stuff can be rented at http://www.goldenriversports.net/ws/...g-sup-services I'd think you could probably negotiate if it were just for a few hours.

Not a kayaker, but I've tubed both the golden ww park and Rancho to state bridge. Both were fun in a tube, and I'd imagine a playboat would be really fun on either (judging by kayak friends opinions on similar water). Super easy walk back up for clear creek.

Sweet info, thanks F_G- too bad you won't be around, would be cool to put a face with a name. That is pretty mellow looking (pretty sure I spotted a 10 year old in a Crossfire), but that's OK as I'd likely be by myself. Getting out of town and into the mountains would be rad, for sure, but that'll have to wait until next time- schedule is something like get in latish on Friday, probably get bombed, blessed event on Saturday, definitely get bombed, 10 AM flight back to SF. So, as you can see, I am on a very tight schedule of drinking.

Thanks again!

edit: Thanks Zartagen! Yeah, the one worry is the tuber traffic- I feel bad running those little guys over. Then again I've been stuffed under a 12-person raft on the Kennebec River enough times that I've paid my own dues.

So this was super fun. Hot day meant lots of tuber traffic but I got out early enough that the first two laps were fairly collision-free. Of course, now I really want to pick up boating again, just mellow suburban dad weekend warrior type shit, so... yeah. Look for my gear swap post in three years where I unload a bunch of barely used kayak equipment.

Thanks foggy and Zartagen, really glad I did this.

Damn, I was gonna post that you'll shoot your eye out. Too late. Glad you had fun.

/mellow suburban dad boater longing for the good 'ole days