Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Siberian Husky, have you raised one?

Doing my research and definitely favoring a Siberian Husky. I live in Bend, so summers are warm, but I have plenty of time to make sure it'd get the exercise it needs. From my readings, it sounds like they aren't the most loyal dog? In the way that it'll befriend anyone and go home with a stranger. Currently i have a 1/3rd acre fenced about 4ft, and it sounds like he'd jump that without a second thought. Currently my wife and I live with a very well trained 4yr old female black lab. We tried the adoption thing and she didn't handle the new dog well at all. So it appears our next dog will be brought in as a puppy. We have room in our house for a second dog as the lab is mostly indoors with us. My biggest concern right now is the dog running off. I read off leash training is possible but their nature is not to return to calling. I really want a winter BC partner out of my next dog. Our lab blew out her knee last year and won't be able to partner with me in the BC hiking. I don't let our dog off leash in city limits unless I'm confident we won't encounter others. I'm also concerned that when I let the dogs into the fenced back that the husky would just take off. Our property backs up to a highway and I would not handle it if there was an accident. I also don't want to have to lock a husky in the house in fear of it running away. Our lab is loyal and won't leave the property, so she goes out around the house and property off leash no problem. We have no kids so this would be our second dog child. I want to be fair to the dog and also make sure I have the capacity to protect it. With that said, would it be unwise to have a siberian husky?

Has anybody had success with off leash training a Siberian husky? Even so are there issues with calling the dog back?

Why do you think your lab will accept a puppy? And if she does, why do you think she will continue to accept it as it becomes a dog?

A husky is not going to just hang out like your 4 year old lab does. Maybe after several years IF you never allow it the opportunity to roam.. never make one mistake and it doesn't learn how fun it is...

The issues you describe are part of why I've never had a Husky. They are very cool dogs but the tendency is for them to be very independent and stubborn. I've had Norwegian Elkhounds which are closely related to Huskies and that was enough of the spitz breeds for me. Spitz mix maybe, but no more Elkhounds and definitely not a Husky. A Malamute, maybe.

I currently have a lab mix (I think he's mixed with cattle dog or possibly shepherd) and he has been a fantastic skiing and outdoor companion. Super loyal, always stays with me, very athletic. The only time the cold has ever bothered him is when it got down into single digits. Hell, it was too cold for me that day too as the wind was really kicking up. I also recently adopted a Shepherd mix puppy. We'll see how he turns out, but he follows me around out in the woods the couple times I've taken him hiking so that's a good sign.

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    Why do you think your lab will accept a puppy? And if she does, why do you think she will continue to accept it as it becomes a dog?
    It's not really a question of whether she will accept a puppy, more so, the 2.5 yr old husky/german shepherd we temporarily adopted had issues with insecurity and separation anxiety so within a matter of hours it created chaos in a well oiled and controlled pack. A puppy is something that will be trained to be part of our pack and thus our lab will more or less have to accept it. It just won't be overwhelming like an older adoption was/would be. I'm not concerned about whether or not our lab accepts it or not, because if they're introduced and integrated correctly into the pack, eventual recognition of each other as pack mates will happen.

And btw, our lab does not just hang out, she has excessive amounts of energy that is required to be burnt off on a daily basis or else she gets anxious and annoyed with us. She swims or runs daily.

Huskies or any type of sled dog mix only run away when you're traveling 200 miles or more from home;have to be somewhere in 30 minutes; really rather be doing something else besides looking for your dog at 11:45 pm . Then there is the occasional mauling of the neighbors cats/lap dog. The chewing the shit outta your brand new landcruiser interior while your at the post office
    The rest of the time they're great dogs!

Quote Originally Posted by Plainview View Post
    The issues you describe are part of why I've never had a Husky. They are very cool dogs but the tendency is for them to be very independent and stubborn. I've had Norwegian Elkhounds which are closely related to Huskies and that was enough of the spitz breeds for me. Spitz mix maybe, but no more Elkhounds and definitely not a Husky. A Malamute, maybe.

I currently have a lab mix (I think he's mixed with cattle dog or possibly shepherd) and he has been a fantastic skiing and outdoor companion. Super loyal, always stays with me, very athletic. The only time the cold has ever bothered him is when it got down into single digits. Hell, it was too cold for me that day too as the wind was really kicking up. I also recently adopted a Shepherd mix puppy. We'll see how he turns out, but he follows me around out in the woods the couple times I've taken him hiking so that's a good sign.

I'm not opposed to another lab, I love the breed. Unfortunately our lab is a mix, and her back legs bow out causing irregular tension on the knee joints. Our Vet told us it's pretty likely she will tear the other ccl in her knee at some point. Regardless, I don't feel comfortable taking her on treks and rides as I fear another injury. I was super disappointed when I heard that news.

Quote Originally Posted by splitinbend View Post
    It's not really a question of whether she will accept a puppy, more so, the 2.5 yr old husky/german shepherd we temporarily adopted had issues with insecurity and separation anxiety so within a matter of hours it created chaos in a well oiled and controlled pack. A puppy is something that will be trained to be part of our pack and thus our lab will more or less have to accept it. It just won't be overwhelming like an older adoption was/would be. I'm not concerned about whether or not our lab accepts it or not, because if they're introduced and integrated correctly into the pack, eventual recognition of each other as pack mates will happen.

And btw, our lab does not just hang out, she has excessive amounts of energy that is required to be burnt off on a daily basis or else she gets anxious and annoyed with us. She swims or runs daily.
    A puppy will be chaos. That particular rescue dog may not have been a good fit but a baby puppy will be way more work/craziness than a suitable adolescent or adult.

You said yourself that your lab will hangout and not run off. All dogs need exercise. You won't be able to tire out a husky on a regular basis for the first three years if not more of its life.

But, like most, seems that you have already made up your mind.

Be prepared to raise your fence and spend lots of time on leash exercising.

How do you guy's exercise a Husky in the summer? Jeff King has his sled dogs drag him around in a boat , because they get too hot doing anything else. That's not very practical for the Everyman.
    I couldn't handle the hair.

I took my Vizsla on a 7 mile mtb ride last night after work in 85f. It's 66f now and we'll probably put in 10-12 this morning as soon as I take a dump.

You should be asking yourself if 1/3 acre is enough for a dog bred to drag sleds around in cold temperatures.

I knew someone who fostered one that chewed through an interior wall, insulation and exterior wall of a garage to escape during a single day.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

Two of our dogs are Bernese mixes, great dogs. Not hyper but very athletic. Super conscious of approval/disapproval, easy to train, absolutely ufazed by cold, happy as a pig in shit sleeping in a snowbank at 10 degrees with the wind howling.

We have to shave them in the summer because they get too hot but once that's done they're fine. I wouldn't get a purebred Berner because of cancer issues with the breed but so far so good with these guys.

Whoozagooboyeee?

Hook's 7 now and doing great.

Siberians are great dogs in the right setting but they love to run in a straight line and they don't come back. Plus they can be killing machines if given the opportunity. Buddy's killed over 100 chickens one time. The farmer was not pleased.
    Last edited by iceman; 07-24-2015 at 07:09 AM.

They're good bear protection, though. My grandfather's malamutes backed down a couple bears, but goddamn, a paper grocery bag of hair every day, each in the summer. It's really not nice to have one unless the climate is nice.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

Had a German Shepherd/Husky mix and used to exercise him by having him pull me on my skateboard. Great dog; actually pretty mellow personality.

If you're getting a Husky, you might consider whether it's a lead dog (alpha) or a follower - followers will have a better chance to meld into a pack, alphas will try to shape the pack.

Mal/G Shepherd mix is good too. I have had a couple and they are laid back, loving and protecting. The hair is just a by product. Take them to the river in summer or have a kiddie pool for them to cool off in, mine was fine with wading and splashing a bit. My one dog loved it when I would partially shave her in the hottest months.
    watch out for snakes

When it gets over 85 here my lab becomes useless. She doesn't even have thick fur, just black. Fortunately we have a swimming hole down the street on the Deschutes where she swims all summer. Towing on a skate board is a great idea. Q

My gf and her brother each have one, and while they can be really fun at times, they are certainly not my favorite personality in a dog. They'll willfully ignore you when being called, seem to have zero desire to please, and if they get off leash or out of a fence, say goodbye to whatever it was you were planning to do the rest of the day. Not too bad around other dogs but definitely see anything smaller than 15lbs as a potential toy/snack.

Stubborn, aloof, sometimes destructive, and only interested in you when they want something. If I wanted that personality in an animal I would get a cat.
    "...no hobby should either seek or need rational justification. To find reasons why it is useful or beneficial converts it at once from an avocation into an industry, lowers it at once to the ignominious category of an exercise undertaken for health, power or profit."
    -Aldo Leopold

If you have to ask you probably shouldn't own a husky.

Yes, they are trainable, but it is very challenging. You will need to refence your whole yard, or at least make a kennel to lock it in.
    There are a shit load of dogs that would make a good BC dog at area shelters, you just need to work with you present dog to see if she will accept any dog, puppy or otherwise.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

the husky raises you
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by splitinbend View Post
    I really want a winter BC partner out of my next dog. Our lab blew out her knee last year and won't be able to partner with me in the BC hiking.
    So many great dogs out there that would fulfill this roll. How about a GSD?

friends had a siberian husky that was trained pretty well. So long as it stayed within sight it didn't run away & generally came when called. But it didn't like other dogs & didn't like people playing with it, patting it etc, definitely had attitude. It was happy exercising then just leave it alone to chill the rest of the time. It coped pretty well with summer mountain biking, would run all day. Skiing touring in the winter was no problem obviously.

I have a Malamute that I adopted at 10 months old. It was nice because I didn't have to go through the puppy stage stuff. When she met my GSD they immediately hit it off, but my wife reminds me in the first few days with us she did growl at the GSD until I told her to knock it off. So maybe in the beginning they will push each other to see who will be the alpha??
    As far as Huskies are concerned, everything I have read indicated they were above my patience level to deal with. Malamutes and Samoyed's are easier to train. You will definitely need a 8 foot fence and if chain link, the dog may still get out. Just read about the breed and take every bad story to heart and ask your self if you can deal with that for 2-3 years before the dog starts to calm down.
    They are cool looking dogs but a ton a patience is needed for them.
    Edit to second a GSD rescue. My guy has a "Plush" coat and is a great winter dog. Then there is a Swiss Shepherd or if you like furry dogs, the Malamutes, Samoyed's or Eurasiers will be way easier than a Husky.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    If you have to ask you probably shouldn't own a husky.

Yes, they are trainable, but it is very challenging. You will need to refence your whole yard, or at least make a kennel to lock it in.
    There are a shit load of dogs that would make a good BC dog at area shelters, you just need to work with you present dog to see if she will accept any dog, puppy or otherwise.
    It'll be a puppy whatever we decide to get. Your probably right though about it being too much. I'm up for the challenge, but I want a loyal partner that gets excited about my company. Not a fan of cats.

Had a husky growing up
    My mom refused to have him fixed
    He needed to be run hard every day
    I managed to get him to heel off leash, but if he was further than leash distance, he would ignore me.
    He was a great snuggler and good ball retriever. We lived in suburban VA (fenced yard) and he would sometimes go out and bake in the sun for an hour in the summer sun, but he always had the A/C to retreat to in the house. He lived to be 14, w/ the last 4 yrs fighting some mysterious thing that gave him seizures. My dad said that dog had better health care than the whole family put together over his final years.

Wanting a dog for a BC partner is a selfish thing, you are probably going to blow out another dogs knee. If you happen to get a dog that turns into a good BC partner and stays healthy, great, you are in luck. If not, and it blows out a knee or two, it seems you will throw it in the backyard with the other injured lab and try again?

I've had limited experience with a husky off-leash, in empty parks late at night with only one way out. it was more for it to be off-leash and finally be happy for five minutes. I wouldn't do it again though. This husky would run into the fence with her head until the wood broke and she could squeeze through a hole she made. There was zero chance of ever finding her driving around when escaped, we just had to wait for the phone call from someone 2-3 miles away that eventually would find her or the dog catcher would call. Based on this I'd be wary of taking a husky in the BC. A friend did this once in the summer camping in the mountains, the dog was found three weeks later just chilling like a wild dog, perfectly healthy and not overly hungry.

Have you considered a Samoyed?

I've had 5 Samoyeds in my life and they offer many of the Husky like traits that you seem to like (Spitz/Northern sled dog, can run with you for days, more comfortable in the cold, etc)

Nice thing is they are waaaaaaaaay more loyal and eager to please than any Husky I've known and easily trainable. They're big sweet teddy bears. Don't get me wrong, some will run as a puppy/tween but if any of ours did they came back after they realized it wasn't a game. Then again, my favorite Samoyed was a tank who wouldn't walk any farther than 10 houses down before she just said fuck it and laid down unless you headed back home. Slept on the deck while 12" of snow would pile up on her and you'd wonder where she went.

Great dogs, I'll find a pic from the dog thread of her.

Here you go: Kodiak.

I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Wanting a dog for a BC partner is a selfish thing, you are probably going to blow out another dogs knee. If you happen to get a dog that turns into a good BC partner and stays healthy, great, you are in luck. If not, and it blows out a knee or two, it seems you will throw it in the backyard with the other injured lab and try again?
    I think you got the wrong idea. My lab sleeps with my wife and I every night. She doesn't live outside. By no means has she been tossed aside. She's definitely not "just a dog". I just want, and have to be more careful with her now to prevent any future injuries. And in regards to a BC partner, it's not just during winter, it would be included in everything we do day in day out. Winter activities are a big part of our life and having my dogs participate with me is an epic thing. Not everyone is a selfish dick. Just to be clear, her injury occurred in the bachy parking lot after jumping down a 6ft snow embankment partially tearing the ccl. All exercise after that made it worse until surgery. And when I said BC partner, I meant in Central Oregon's baby hills not Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Have you considered a Samoyed?

I've had 5 Samoyeds in my life and they offer many of the Husky like traits that you seem to like (Spitz/Northern sled dog, can run with you for days, more comfortable in the cold, etc)

Nice thing is they are waaaaaaaaay more loyal and eager to please than any Husky I've known and easily trainable. They're big sweet teddy bears. Don't get me wrong, some will run as a puppy/tween but if any of ours did they came back after they realized it wasn't a game. Then again, my favorite Samoyed was a tank who wouldn't walk any farther than 10 houses down before she just said fuck it and laid down unless you headed back home. Slept on the deck while 12" of snow would pile up on her and you'd wonder where she went.

Great dogs, I'll find a pic from the dog thread of her.

Here you go: Kodiak.
    g]
    I hadn't even considered the breed but will look into them for sure. Thanks for this bit.
    Last edited by splitinbend; 07-24-2015 at 09:19 AM.