Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Converting Sliding Door to French Doors

I know this is an odd question and it would be much easier to install a new set of doors...however if that was not an option due to restrictions, etc....how difficult would it be to convert a sliding door into french doors? I know they would not be truly french doors since they would still have the overlap...so I guess the question is...how hard would it be to hinge the two doors? the fixed one would most likely have to swing out and the sliding door swing in...but has anyone ever seen this done? I did some googling, but everything is related to replacing the doors.

Thank you.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

I've seen it done on DYI shows. Check out these links:

Edit: Guess I'm not quite awake - did not read that you wanted to convert the slider to the french not REPLACE the slider WITH a French. Can't imagine that would work. Just buy the French and put it in. Jury-rigged doors and windows is only going to lead to headaches like drafts, water intrusion and sagging.

Convert Sliding Doors to French Doors

4 Reasons to Replace Sliding Glass Doors with French Doors

All About French Doors

You will be replacing the whole frame, just like any door. Why does each side have to swing different directions? If that's even possible it's sounds custom & therefore expensive. I don't see how it's possible to convert the existing doors but I'm no expert.

Replace is your only option.
    Reconfiguring a sliding door to swing will bring more trouble than you want...if you are even able to do it.

Yeah you gotta buy new doors. You can spend a lot but you can get pretty reasonable ones for fairly short money, Jeld-Wen is a good brand, don't know anything about these particular doors but $508. http://www.homedepot.com/p/JELD-WEN-...G15L/204214706

If you have some time to can find them on Craig's list.

I can think of at least a half dozen serious obstacles you'd have to overcome to convert sliding doors to french doors. If it is necessary to maintain the same appearance, you can get french doors that look like almost anything you want, it's just a matter of digging through the catalogs with a building supplier. Having installed french doors myself, in a spot where there had previously been windows instead of doors, I can tell you the job is not all that difficult.

OP,Bringing the funny.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

You can convert them to French pretty easily, but born and breed Parisians will still look down on them.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    You can convert them to French pretty easily, but born and breed Parisians will still look down on them.
    That's funny.
    "Typically euro, french in particular, in my opinion. It's the same skiing or climbing there. They are completely unfazed by their own assholeness. Like it's normal." - srsosbso

I guess I wasn't very clear when I said...I know replacing them would be easier but there are restrictions preventing me from doing that. Sorry about that on first read through.

Was thinking more along the lines of routing out places for hinges, grinding the sliding rails off the door frame and installing locks at the top and bottom in the middle.

The issue is getting the HOA to approve in a historic building that all the doors match. I can't understand why the hell the put in sliders...nice balcony, but on the small side...French doors would make it so much more usable.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    I guess I wasn't very clear when I said...I know replacing them would be easier but there are restrictions preventing me from doing that. Sorry about that on first read through.

Was thinking more along the lines of routing out places for hinges, grinding the sliding rails off the door frame and installing locks at the top and bottom in the middle.

The issue is getting the HOA to approve in a historic building that all the doors match. I can't understand why the hell the put in sliders...nice balcony, but on the small side...French doors would make it so much more usable.
    The seals wont work and will need to be "rebuilt" custom (that product doesn't exist).
    the hardware to lock/close the doors is not available in that configuration with no center post.
    the rails ground out of the sill will make the door opening bigger and the doors don't grow... that will need to be filled with new built-up sill or lots of weather seal.

and other issues depending on door material (wood, fiberglass, vinyl) for being able to be supported by hinges instead of glide rollers. sliders generally have narrow stile/rail

prove me wrong...i'll buy the beers to wash down my apologies

Quote Originally Posted by Jamespio View Post
    Having installed french doors myself,
    On your boat?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

What kind of frames on the existing doors? Most sliders are aluminum framed or aluminum clad. If clad, this might work, but a lot of the aluminum frames are hollow. Also, there is an engineering issue here. This door was likely designed to sit on top of a track, not to hang from hinges, will the frame and/or its joints fail under the weight of the glass when it's hanging on hinges?

If yhou grind off the tracks, you're likely to end up with holes in the base. And when you install top and bottom locks you might discover that the frame is basically hollow, and the locks are not actually very secure.

This does sound dumb. But the HOA usually only cares about appearance. What about reusing the same doors but in a french door frame? The sizing gets tricky, but a good finish carpenter or cabinet maker can make this work, IF the doors are adequate to the job of carrying the weight on hinges.

I don't think the HOA will mind if you go to french doors if the door style is visually the same...but they aren't always the most sane institutions

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    On your boat?
    Wife of pompous moron: "Honey, I think there's a pilot whale out there!"
    Pompous moron: "Hold on, I'll open the french doors so we can get a better look."
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Honey, I think there's a pilot whale out there!
    Pompous moron... "How can you tell it's a pilot? Is it upside down?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

^That's funny, too.

Quote Originally Posted by philippeR View Post
    That's funny.
    My experience with Parisians was nothing but spectacular of course... il est vrai, non?

This could be done with the proper amount power tools and beer. I would remove the doors, trim, jam, etc... then build a new jam that looked similar enough to make the HOA happy. Pre-hang the doors for this jam and reinstall. You'll have to make the new jam close to the same size as the old one, so you might have to resize the doors as well depending on your ability to adjust the framing in your house. You'll also need some kind of astragal, depending on the hardware you go with

Not sure if this is something you want to tackle yourself, but you should be able to reuse everything but the door jam and the hardware. If you are willing/able to put in the time for this it could save you enough $$$ for a couple new setups on STP right now.

Fair warning: I used to do this for a living, so I have all the necessary tools and unsubstantiated over confidence to cut holes in people's houses

You should get an account on AngiesList ASAP. You could probably do this but it would be like just converting your subaru doors to gullwing. Should be easy right? Just add some hinges.

Replacing the doors with something the HOA can live with is going to be easier, cheaper, and better.

Quote Originally Posted by mcsquared View Post
    Replacing the doors with something the HOA can live with is going to be easier, cheaper, and better.
    What the OP is proposing is sure to look like ass when he's finished. Buy some new doors that jive with the historic look of your pad and call it a day...or leave the sliders in as-is.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

maybe you could turn the slider into a garage door to get the open feeling you want.

I nice balcony, but on the small side...French doors would make it so much more usable.
    Maybe I'm having trouble picturing this, but... unless they open inwards, wouldn't the swing of French doors make it hard to put furniture and stuff on a small balcony?

Exterior doors should ALWAYS swing in (except for maybe submarines). Tough to seal and keep weather out, otherwise.