Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Sliding doors are one of the easiest ways to break into a house. Got rid of mine and replaced with a regular door and large window both which are much moar secure.
    watch out for snakes

Have you considered what size back-hoe the job will require or can a bulldozer do the job?

I'd say hire a bunch of well meaning amigos from the Home Depot parking lot to do the job but I think that would just earn you the scorn of the local craftsmen. To be safe pick em up like Pio in your Pontiac Aztek just so the union guys know you're on their team.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    Exterior doors should ALWAYS swing in. Tough to seal and keep weather out, otherwise.
    I thought outswing doors were better for keeping weather out (drafts and water have a tougher time making it through the interior threshold+whatever gasket) but less secure because of the exposed hinges. Maybe not though.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven S. Dallas View Post
    I thought outswing doors were better for keeping weather out (drafts and water have a tougher time making it through the interior threshold+whatever gasket) but less secure because of the exposed hinges. Maybe not though.
    If there's a decent amount of snow in front of it, it can keep you in.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

^Surely true.

Converting Sliding Door to French Doors

Out swing doors tend to get rained on, etc. and all those exposed edges suck up moisture. You'll end up with more swollen members than a TGR Flowing Alpy stagfest drooling over the neighborhood jailbait.

Other than Benny, never seen a door or a maggot that can take that kind of abuse.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven S. Dallas View Post
    this is correct
    (the point about exposing the door in the outswing is also correct)
    the security thing tends to overrule the improved weatherability since the seals do a pretty good job with an inswing door

I would also guess that sliding doors, which are designed to be continuously supported on the bottom, may not have the structural strength to all of a sudden be hung in space from one stile. But what the heck it is only a large piece of glass that is flexing and bending. Really what is the worst that could happen?

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    maybe you could turn the slider into a garage door to get the open feeling you want.

This would be very kool and would truly phuck with the provincial assholes on the board.

OR

Get yourself appointed to the board, alter the regs to suit your needs, then quit the board.
    Worked for me.

Doors swing in unless your using it as a dedicated fire exit.

A good painter paints the top of the door as well as the returns to "seal" the door. (BG winkie-winkie)
    Be sure that the bottom of the door has been properly sealed if the door was cut when it was set.
    Doors done right won't swell and chafe as much from summer to winter and back.

Converting the existing could be done by a journeyman, with the kinipalling pin being the glass frame is substantial enough to support the glass from hinges. Could put a spring loaded bearing on the bottom of the door to help support the weight and take some of the load off the door hinge and hinge side stile. Just fly in WAG and ply him with food and drink. More than likely this turns into a boondoggle.

My experience with the frogs has always been very good

I'm a double spacer - f this editor

Thank you everyone for the responses. The door frame is wooden, but great points on the strength of the actual door...would be a three hinge job I am sure. I will check tonight, but the door may have a wood core on the frame...I just really hate the sliding door...I just know they are going to be annoying about all the doors of the building not matching.

After thinking more about the track, I also came to the conclusion that it is probably folded aluminum rather then molded, therefore, I would need to replace the entire bottom sill. As for weather...there is a balcony above and then my balcony below, so the door rarely gets direct rain and frankly, it seals like shit right now. As for safety...third floor balcony with a first floor that is more like 1.5 stories...and the doors don't lock now as it is.

As far as my overlap comment...there is no post in the middle of the door opening...it is just two doors that overlap in the middle...so together they are approximately 2 inches wider then the door frame...therefore, to get both of them to swing in while not finding a way to get an inch on each side (brick building as well)...would have to leave them overlapped and use a special hinge on the one side. Maybe I should take some pictures for this to make sense.

Anyone in Denver want to covertly tackle this project in LODO? I pay in cash and beer....
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Your persistence is to be admired, but you do realize this project as currently laid out will only end in tears and a complete fucking mess?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Thank you everyone for the responses. The door frame is wooden, but great points on the strength of the actual door...would be a three hinge job I am sure. I will check tonight, but the door may have a wood core on the frame...I just really hate the sliding door...I just know they are going to be annoying about all the doors of the building not matching.

After thinking more about the track, I also came to the conclusion that it is probably folded aluminum rather then molded, therefore, I would need to replace the entire bottom sill. As for weather...there is a balcony above and then my balcony below, so the door rarely gets direct rain and frankly, it seals like shit right now. As for safety...third floor balcony with a first floor that is more like 1.5 stories...and the doors don't lock now as it is.

As far as my overlap comment...there is no post in the middle of the door opening...it is just two doors that overlap in the middle...so together they are approximately 2 inches wider then the door frame...therefore, to get both of them to swing in while not finding a way to get an inch on each side (brick building as well)...would have to leave them overlapped and use a special hinge on the one side. Maybe I should take some pictures for this to make sense.

Anyone in Denver want to covertly tackle this project in LODO? I pay in cash and beer....
    No offense man, but this sounds like a terrible idea. I highly doubt it will ever work or look right...and come inspection time when/if you sell it's going to be an issue I'd guess and you'll be stuck replacing it anyhow. Abort mission!
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

You should probably start off with something easier like fixing kitchen maid mixer power cords then work your way up to transgenderizing patio doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

This is not a situation where I have never worked construction or built anything in my entire life. I have just never seen someone put hinges on a sliding door and was curious if any of the creative maggots had seen such a thing. I will abort mission and approach the HOA about approving a door design...
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    You should probably start off with something easier like fixing kitchen maid mixer power cords then work your way up to transgenderizing patio doors.
    Definitely use the word "transgenderize" in your application. HOA dare not deny you for fear of legal and negative PR repercussions. Caitlyn could work to your advantage.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Maybe I can approach it from a safety standpoint, along with efficiency...the current doors do not come close to sealing out the cold or heat...and frankly, the balconies would fee 10 times larger and more useful with french doors.

I also got a good laugh from the transgenderized comment...

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    Definitely use the word "transgenderize" in your application. HOA dare not deny you for fear of legal and negative PR repercussions. Caitlyn could work to your advantage.
    Wow. Jer is crying tears of joy somewhere. Finally, a way to beat the HOA had been found.

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Maybe I can approach it from a safety standpoint, along with efficiency...the current doors do not come close to sealing out the cold or heat...and frankly, the balconies would fee 10 times larger and more useful with french doors.

I also got a good laugh from the transgenderized comment...
    I'm curious - how would French doors make the balcony larger? Sliders are the most unobtrusive doors there are next to pocket.

Sliders are the most unobtrusive doors there are next to pocket.
    Wow, nice code words for trans and gay doors there. Homophobe.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Wow, nice code words for trans and gay doors there. Homophobe.
    Buh? I'll have you know I happen to have pocket French doors in my house. They are beautiful and I love them (Simpson doors). No homophobe here!

I'll use more winkys next time. love me some pocket doors.

Replacing a existing slider with French doors can be easily done in a day
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

me too (both the winkys and the pocket doors)

I'm curious - how would French doors make the balcony larger? Sliders are the most unobtrusive doors there are next to pocket.
    Wondered this myself. My guess is that the part of the slider that doesn't open "impedes" the open feeling of being on the balcony. Inward open french would allow 2 to sit on balcony with open space behind.

Seems a bit OCD but please continue and take pics. Lots of pics.

Making exterior pocket doors would require a bit of framing modifications
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”