Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Another reason to HATE VAIL!

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingArizona View Post
    This is actually a pretty damn good discussion topic right here. I doubt a neurosurgeon tokes before work, I mean, you would think being a neurosurgeon they would be way smarter than that. I guess though if one were to fuck up and it could be proven that he/she did toke before hand they would likely be opened up to some serious law suits even if in reality it wasn't a factor. I doubt most doctors would be stupid enough to make that mistake, there is just so much about that job involving liability.

Sure, some people can't handle some weed but it's not likely they will make it through school to have such prestiges jobs. I'm sure there could/would be some rare instances but for the most part I'm not worried about that. I know plenty of people that a little toke or two just puts them in a zen state and more than capable doing things that the untrained see as difficult but to them it's just more on point with some weed.

Nothing in life is certain and we can't eliminate every risk and honestly, a world without risk isn't one that I think most of us on here would like to be part of.
    Yeah, but the truth is that I know a doctor who died because he was into the painkillers, and another who got busted and lost his ability to practice medicine for the same reason. Those guys were so out of control, you just have to assume they practiced impaired.

I suppose any doc could show up for work drunk, stoned or on pain meds, we as patients must trust they won't.

I know plenty of guys who went to college and toke, and function really well and are at the top of their game.

Should truck drivers, doctors, pilots, lawyers, etc. -anyone who can crater your life financially or physically- be drug tested? Or not?

My apologies for getting way off topic. Wanna hate Vail? Whatever floats your boat.

What's your point? Why are you posting that as a question?

Having cannabis in your system, which is the only factual determination you can glean from testing someone, has no bearing on one's degree of impairment. The endocannabinoid system is complex and every user's body on earth processes the same inputs differently in terms of rate of metabolization, degree of storage in lipids for later release, degree of intoxication achieved from x dose, etc.

Before you start talking about testing someone for a non-lethal recreational drug, you need to have an effective and accurate method for determining levels of intoxication. If that cannot be achieved reliably, which should be a mandate given the bill of rights, you must exclude any sort of chemical testing from disciplinary action. If a doctor is smoking Headband before brain surgery, his peers and management will spot the issue and either cure his behavior or his place of employment.

What you're doing by engaging this conversation is taking attention away from pragmatic, science based solutions that can increase safety and using that misplaced focus to scrutinize the lives of non-threatening users. It's a witch hunt.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/18/he...marijuana.html

All of these facts lead experts like Dr. Romano and Dr. Kleiman to believe that public resources are better spent combating drunken driving. Stoned driving, they say, is best dealt with by discouraging people from mixing marijuana and alcohol — a combination that is even riskier than alcohol alone — and by policies that minimize marijuana’s risk on the road.

For instance, states that legalize recreational marijuana, Dr. Kleiman said, should ban establishments like pot bars that encourage people to smoke away from home. And Dr. Romano said that lowering the legal blood-alcohol concentration, or B.A.C., to 0.05 or even 0.02 percent would reduce risk far more effectively than any effort to curb stoned driving.

“I’m not saying marijuana is safe,” he said. “But to me it’s clear that lowering the B.A.C. should be our top priority. That policy would save more lives.”

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontana View Post
    I never do important shit stonered. Except Sundays..

Attachment 168705
    Well done, Bro.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1439200627.447988.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	168733

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontana View Post

What you're doing by engaging this conversation is taking attention away from pragmatic, science based solutions that can increase safety and using that misplaced focus to scrutinize the lives of non-threatening users. It's a witch hunt.
    That's a pretty severe synopsis. Remember, you are giving a "witch hunt" label to someone who supports legalization and holds no animosity towards users. Colorado has not unravelled.

I agree with most of the rest of your post. Alcohol is the greatest threat in terms of ruining lives and yet being widely accepted, I partake almost daily. My cop friend says he's had plenty of drunks want to fight him, high people not so much.

However, here's the problem. Alcohol can be quickly metabolized and be gone from your system quickly. Weed remains testable for weeks after use.

So despite my inane ramblings, the same basic question remains:

Testing for some people, or none for anyone? And secondly, if testing for some, where do you draw the line in terms of professional responsibility / danger to society?

If you answer either yes or no, no biggee, not a witch hunt. Just musing.

Quote Originally Posted by itsnowjoke View Post
    Testing for some people, or none for anyone? And secondly, if testing for some, where do you draw the line in terms of professional responsibility / danger to society?

If you answer either yes or no, no biggee, not a witch hunt. Just musing.
    Yes/no doesn't do the issue justice, but at present the only equitable solution is to not test for MJ. Testing for past use is effective and reliable. But there is little to no evidence that past use (not the same as present intoxication) poses a danger to society.

Testing for intoxication is unreliable and falls well short of the certainty achieved in a BAC test. Thus, there is no effective method for testing intoxication, which is the variable we are talking about trying to measure. I don't think banning recreational use of Cannabis is a fair limitation to impose on any profession or activity. If a brain surgeon can smoke a joint on a ski trip, a long haul truck driver should be able to eat a few gummies to decompress after a long shift. 24hour rule seems reasonable, but again, there's no way to know for sure when that threshold has been breached outside of clear visible/audible intoxication.

Another reason to HATE VAIL!

Quote Originally Posted by itsnowjoke View Post
    Well done, Bro.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1439200627.447988.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	168733
    Boom. Had to break down and get $115 in labor to do the wiring and add aux, but did the rest mahself. Almost done with the interior revamp.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1439268963.994784.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	168748