Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: wading boots

Simms Flats Boots

What do people think of these? I have been using "watershoes" or wading barefoot on really clean flats but know I'm pushing my luck towards a piece of stray glass or worse an urchin.. (been lucky enough to get down to the Bahamas for a stray bone fishing trip once a year with the guys)

Option to any other suggestions but want to pull the trigger on a pair for the east coast summer hoping to be better equipped for stripers on the flats season.

Quote Originally Posted by nconzey View Post
    What do people think of these? I have been using "watershoes" or wading barefoot on really clean flats but know I'm pushing my luck towards a piece of stray glass or worse an urchin.. (been lucky enough to get down to the Bahamas for a stray bone fishing trip once a year with the guys)

Option to any other suggestions but want to pull the trigger on a pair for the east coast summer hoping to be better equipped for stripers on the flats season.
    I think they're rip off. I have cheap, neoprene, felt bottom boots I bought for like $30. They work fine.

I am having just the worst goddamn boot luck. The new Simms I bought in feb are already cracking. Both on the top there by the stitching and also along where the toe cap meets the sole. WTF?!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0315211856.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	371566

Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    I think they're rip off. I have cheap, neoprene, felt bottom boots I bought for like $30. They work fine.

I am having just the worst goddamn boot luck. The new Simms I bought in feb are already cracking. Both on the top there by the stitching and also along where the toe cap meets the sole. WTF?!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0315211856.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	371566
    Appreciate it and bummed to hear it. I’ve been wading in the same pair of orvis boots for a long time and while they’re not pretty now they’re getting it done

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I just now noticed that Patagonia has dropped the price of their boots by $150 across the board. Now they’re just really really expensive.

^^^ well, cuz "Danner"
    i have heard people say they like the "tractor" bars

[qualifier: my fishing is like 20-30 outings here in OR, almost always wading/walking.]
    I've had Cabela's ($150) & now Simms ($170) boots, and the fit was the most significant difference between the two. The Cabelas were shaped like blocks {cabelas wader feet are similarly block-like}. Simms are foot shaped and more like a hiking boot (tho not as svelte).
    Re: durability: The Cabelas held up ok for many seasons eventually losing the stitching around the top of the foot where it bends behind the toes. Felt was worn down but not ruined. Simms are rubber sole & only a couple seasons in. They seem to be a superior product in my limited experience thus far. Grippy sole fwiw & makes scrambling banks easier than felt. My frustration with them was constantly replacing studs/stars. I've now learned that they need to be aquasealed in when new (and even then, you still drop a few here and there...but not nearly as often)

I know I'll get blasted by some for saying this, but I prefer buying $50 boots on Amazon that I'll know will fail after 20days as opposed to dropping $$$ on a name brand and inevitably being let down.

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanShocker View Post
    I know I'll get blasted by some for saying this, but I prefer buying $50 boots on Amazon that I'll know will fail after 20days as opposed to dropping $$$ on a name brand and inevitably being let down.
    Booo, just drop 120 and make it last 3 seasons. Not a fan of huge-high end boots, but I ain't going to the 50$ territory
    It's same story as when I've got meh pants for one of the fishing season and then 3 days into the trip my legs would get wet(and that was late Fall, so water is mad cold). After that I've very suspicious of cheap gear hence why I've grabbed Stormr Nano fishing pants from https://gritroutdoors.com/apparel/fi...lothing/pants/ later on same trip. Still have 'em somewhere lying around and it's been like 2 years.
    Last edited by timbro; 08-17-2022 at 12:07 AM.

Well I did it, I bought those Danner/Patagonia with the tractor bars. Only been in them once to fish for baby cutthroats in a tiny creek, but they work really well. I’ll see how they last. You do get an extra set of bars and laces and instructions on how to send them back for repairs.
    So that’s nice.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Well I did it, I bought those Danner/Patagonia with the tractor bars. Only been in them once to fish for baby cutthroats in a tiny creek, but they work really well. I’ll see how they last. You do get an extra set of bars and laces and instructions on how to send them back for repairs.
    So that’s nice.
    Danners are nice, I've got a fresh pair few weeks ago along with some fishing pants at the local store. Prev one lasted me like 3 years and I've been using 'em a lot