Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: wading boots

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    In these threads I know we all end up recommending whatever we have that hasn't seriously pissed us off, but has anyone had any issues with Patagonia boots?
    Nope. Over a year later and still happy with mine. The only issues is the laces fell apart but I don't think that's really something to bitch about. Haven't had to replace the bars on the bottom yet and they've definitely got quite a few miles on them. That said, I'm looking forward to not putting them on again until sometime in September.

what do you wear to wade wet? I wear my normal boots, just sans waders.

Keens

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    what do you wear to wade wet? I wear my normal boots, just sans waders.
    Yeah, same here except that adding neoprene booties lets me go June(ish) to November(ish) without waders. I love seeing all the assholes wadering up in the middle of August here in CO. Fucking zombies.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    I love seeing all the assholes wadering up in the middle of August here in CO. Fucking zombies.
    ^^ Spoken like someone who only fishes one day a week.

Try wet wading every day from June(ish) to November(ish), then take a picture of your feet and post it here.

edit - i know what you mean, though

Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    Yeah, same here except that adding neoprene booties lets me go June(ish) to November(ish) without waders. I love seeing all the assholes wadering up in the middle of August here in CO. Fucking zombies.
    I know right, what fucking assholes! The only thing that pisses me off more is seeing all the assholes who aren't man enough to just wear sandals and they have to put neoprene booties on first. Can you believe that shit? Fucking pussies.

You would love it even more if you come to Tennessee sometime and fish a tailwater in August. Air temp is 90 with a 95+ heat index, water temps are between 65-70 and most of the folks in the river are wearing waders. "By god, I bought this $400 pair, so I'm getting my use out of 'em before I get too fat to fit in 'em."

Water temps on the upper Delaware hover around 55 in the summer. You can wet wade but you'll have to do it 15 minutes at a time.

Chotas are still holding up nice BTW. Seen a decent amount of salt this year too.

The Arkansas is in the 50s. Nippley after an hour or two.

Not surprisingly my old boots fell apart when I pulled them out recently. I probably won't ever use them enough to bother replacing.

What was the reason for the push OP mentioned by manufacturers to get felt outlawed? Felt lasts too long, so not enough profit?

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Not surprisingly my old boots fell apart when I pulled them out recently. I probably won't ever use them enough to bother replacing.

What was the reason for the push OP mentioned by manufacturers to get felt outlawed? Felt lasts too long, so not enough profit?
    Aquatic invasive species transport.

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    Aquatic invasive species transport.
    pretty sure that has been shot down. IIRC felt soles were outlawed in Vermont for a time and they recently retracted the law. I could have my states mixed up, somewhere in the NE this happened

BUMP.

Been having boot issues. Had some freestones. Maybe lasted 2 years and the soles came off. Bought Patiguchi ultralights. Fell apart (Patagonia gave me full credit). Thought I'd try Redington. Bought the Forge boot. One year in (maybe 40 days) and they fell apart.

Patagonia obviously gave up and now only offer the $10,000.00 Danner option. And fuck the Redington boots. Is it worth going with the G3 or G4 or are the freestones going to give me about the same life?

Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    BUMP.

Been having boot issues. Had some freestones. Maybe lasted 2 years and the soles came off. Bought Patiguchi ultralights. Fell apart (Patagonia gave me full credit). Thought I'd try Redington. Bought the Forge boot. One year in (maybe 40 days) and they fell apart.

Patagonia obviously gave up and now only offer the $10,000.00 Danner option. And fuck the Redington boots. Is it worth going with the G3 or G4 or are the freestones going to give me about the same life?
    I have a 5 year old pair of the old all leather G3 guide boots, I have had to slap some shoe goo in a few spots but they are still going strong, I cant speak for the new G series but if they hold up like the old ones I would say they are well worth the extra coin!
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

The Orvis Pro is hands down the best wading boot I've ever had, starting my 3rd year of 150+ days/y and they look/feel like new.
    Last edited by adipose; 02-08-2021 at 03:53 PM.
    "and not when I come to die, discover that I have not lived"
    H.D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by adipose View Post
    The Orvis Pro is hands down the best wading boot I've ever had, starting my 3rd year of 150+ days and they look/feel like new.
    I too am using Orvis. I have no complaint. Disclaimer, I'm not a many decades seasoned pro. Perhaps wading boots are like Skis and ski boots, there are half dozens manufacturers that you cannot go wrong with, it's mostly personal preference.

I bought some from concretejungle 5 years ago and they have been bombproof.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...s-Wading-Boots

I guess older model g3's? Anyway. Bomber. Don't know their current offerings. I did cleat them, but that is personal preference.

Edit to add the new version I guess: https://www.simmsfishing.com/g3-guide-boot-s18

I can take a picture of them, but it wouldn't really do you any good because it appears they are different from the new ones.

Scored some g3's. Sending the Redington's back. I was one month over warranty- they said the may honor it. We'll see.

IMO there is a massive gaping hole in the market for good wading boots right now. Right now it's which one sucks the least with least amount of trade-offs and there isn't one good option. Kind of crazy considering how good every other little piece of fishing gear has gotten

Quote Originally Posted by sierraskier View Post
    IMO there is a massive gaping hole in the market for good wading boots right now. Right now it's which one sucks the least with least amount of trade-offs and there isn't one good option. Kind of crazy considering how good every other little piece of fishing gear has gotten
    I agree. My current most-used pair I got free from Reddington when I bought their waders. They're not bad, but still falling apart in spots. I don't ned the boots to be big and burly like Everest climbing boots, I just need them to not fall apart after a season. Mostly with mine the stitching fails first, which I then show goo or aqua seal.
    My first "real" pair were from Danner a thousand years ago, and a guide had the same pair, and he just said he considered them disposable.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I agree. And it seems a gaping hole between the $100-150 and $150-250 ranges. I'm guessing they know they can sell shit boots to tons of newbies who will fish 5 times and quit or 5 times in 5 years. And for people who fish 40-50 days a year, they'll just take the loss if I send them in. My buddy has the new Patagonia/Danner boots. The look bomber, but we'll see. I kind of agree with them being pretty much disposable, but I need to get at least 3-4 years out of them.

I have never been a brand loyalist (other then Scott rods) but I got a shit ton of days out of my Simms G4s and they didn't dry rot like some other boots I have had. I finally had to replace them this last fall and when with the newest G4s. They are pretty darn nice and no complaints so far. They did widen the boot a bit from the old ones, which I don't like as much, but I have very very narrow feet (Lange LV boots are too wide for my toe box).

Boots seem to kind of be river depended for me. I wet wade a lot...but I also fish for an hour or two and then am on to the next thing (lunch, kids nap, etc.). The Frying Pan I could wade in flip flops, but the Roaring Fork is slick bowling balls and no chance I am wading it in anything but full wading boots and either waders or neoprene socks...and aluminum cleats. You want to wade it in sandals...be my guest. Let me know how many toes you break or how many times you fall.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

I purchased the Simms flyweight version light hikers about 5 years ago. The last couple of years the rubber hasn't gripped as well so I did get some LL Bean Streamcleats. Cool contraption. fits over your boot like kahtoolas with a boa closure. easy on and off and they work great. And I have a brand new pair of G3 Guide boots still NIB that I think I will have to break out this season. Bought on sale 4 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by guide View Post
    I purchased the Simms flyweight version light hikers about 5 years ago. The last couple of years the rubber hasn't gripped as well so I did get some LL Bean Streamcleats. Cool contraption. fits over your boot like kahtoolas with a boa closure. easy on and off and they work great. And I have a brand new pair of G3 Guide boots still NIB that I think I will have to break out this season. Bought on sale 4 years ago.
    FYI...I had a pair of Simms (not G3) that I bought on sale for raft boots. They didn’t get much use because I didn’t really like the fit and they dry rotted. Rubber peaked, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by sierraskier View Post
    bump . got a pair of nicer Patagonia boots and they are basically the same as all the others I've ever had. Anyone have any great ones?