Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

VHF/UHF Programmable Radio

Recommendations for a hand-held?

Yaesu FT-60R? Baofeng?

I think durability and power are primary factors. Don't know much about the subject.
    Last edited by covert; 07-18-2015 at 10:17 AM.

It is well worth getting quality advice from someone who knows what specs you need to match the application you have in mind.. In the meantime...

1. can be surprisingly expensive
    2. I really appreciate small rather than brick sized in my pocket, but don't let that compromise power
    3. can complicate avalanche transceiver position
    4. get 'field programmable' if you want to jump between professional/work bands and amature bands in different locations.
    5. the specs and settings can be surprisingly complicated
    6. consider speaker volume capability

I got this small icom radio and seldom use it, so I don't really know if it is any good or not. It is not field programmable, so I am restricted to the allocated amature bands.
    http://www.icomamerica.com/en/produc.../handheld/p7a/
    Life is not lift served.

Yaesu.

Motorola and icom would be a good place to start.

As neck beard said, it really depends what you want it to do... do you want to Tx on work bands? If so, you'll need a different antenna and to make sure you can open up the tx range. Also have to remember that these radios that are FCC type certified for Tx on particular bands, so they might work on others but technically you can get fined for it (haven't heard of that actually happening).

Yaesu is durable and cheaply programmable. I might even have a VX-7R + cable + accessories I'd sell you if I can find it. If you want new, get a VX-5R or VX-8R.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Checked out the Icom V-85? More affordable than the Vaesu and has 7w (vs. the Yaesu's 5w)
    Had a few V85s, one crapped out on me but otherwise I've been happy with them.
    Do what you like, Like what you do.

Thanks for the tips. I had to order right away to get it in time.

Went with this

If it's junk, at least I'm not out a bundle. Reviews are good. Vamos a ver.

Becareful transmitting if you are not liscensed. good for emergencies or listening in, but since range is limited to ise of repeater stations people are always listening.

you dont get aviation bands. they are like 100-130, I think the yaesu or one of them do.

copy thanks, the fcc is a few thousand to the north

Quote Originally Posted by covert View Post
    Thanks for the tips. I had to order right away to get it in time.

Went with this

If it's junk, at least I'm not out a bundle. Reviews are good. Vamos a ver.
    These have been reliable so far

Now that you no longer have to learn Morse code to get a HAM license, it's supposed to be pretty easy.

Quote Originally Posted by gwat View Post
    Checked out the Icom V-85? More affordable than the Vaesu and has 7w (vs. the Yaesu's 5w)
    Had a few V85s, one crapped out on me but otherwise I've been happy with them.
    My v85 a slight recieving delay, I always miss the first word of the fast talkers. You experience that? It also somehow melted a battery while off and stored. Scary. Recommend removing the battery while not in use.

That baofeng is cheap! Damn. Report back with how it works for you?

Any updates on how these have been working? Are the Baofengs field programmable? Would be nice to go to new areas and be able to punch in the FSR channel.

Yes on field progamable

Yeah, good results using the baofeng for 6 weeks in SA. Field programmable, solid build. I can't say I put it through the ringer but so far I'm completely satisfied.

The more I look into a new radio, the more I wonder what the technical definition 'field programmable' is.
    Life is not lift served.

Still thumbsup on the BaoFeng? About to order for a backup.
    Drive slow, homie.

Baofeng, Yaesu, Wouxun - all still reliable

Had a Baofeng rattling around in the pack a couple years now. Only had to replace it when it got swept downstream in a river crossing.

Baofengs are nice in that they are so cheap they are almost disposable, and they have very good batteries. With them being cheap Chinese radios, they also don't have the hardware restrictions that a quality radio would, ie they can transmit out of band.

I still question the usefulness of carrying a radio like that, an FRS unit is all you need for group comms without the legal issues and a low powered VHF won't get you far in the mountains. The mobile in my truck outputs 50 watts though a good antenna and can sometimes barely talk over a few ridges, how well is your 4 watt handheld going to do?

If you wanna talk out of a valley reliably you better buy a sat phone. If you wanna use a radio, get up to ridgetop and ideally gain line of sight to the repeater. Buddy of mine was talking 50km away from a parks repeater on a 4w Baofeng unit. Line of sight and ideal conditions, but still. I've got all the parks and lodges repeaters dialed into mine, I ring up the closest one from time to time to check how useful it actually is. Besides skis and boots, it's the only other thing I always bring.

For group comms, don't really use it that much. My buddies who have em seem to forget their radios all the time, the few times I've used seems pretty reliable through whatever within a km or so, so perfectly usable. For logging roads, as soon as you hear some muffled transmission you better start transmitting every km on a handheld for sure.

But that's the whole point of licensing. Using someone else repeater is illegal. If someone starts stepping on my transmissions, I'm calling the Feds.

If you want to talk out of a valley reliably you need to set a retrans site on the top of that valley.

SAT Phones are not as reliable as you would think. Clouds, sat malfunction and Murphy can and will fuck with them.

If you want to geek the fuck out, and know a thing or two about commo, it is possible to bounce your signal off the atmosphere.
    Last edited by XavierD; 01-25-2016 at 04:26 PM.

Well, this conversation is getting a bit heavy for me - but thanks for the info on durability.
    Drive slow, homie.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    But that's the whole point of licensing. Using someone else repeater is illegal. If someone starts stepping on my transmissions, I'm calling the Feds.
    Calling out in emergencies. Not telling your buddy that line totally goes.