Stuck in Flagstaff, AZ

Well i'm 20 years old. About a week and a half ago I left my home at the bottom of Lousiana to go on an adventure alone. I left behind a decent job that I was unhappy with. I went through Texas and New Mexico to get here and I have been having a blast. I've been depressed back at home but when I got away I was a lot happier person. I've been camping at the Grand Canyon, and it was amazing hiking there. So I was on my way back home to my crappy life but in Flagstaff my engine on my truck blows. Don't have much money left. I'm staying at a motel. Any advice? Please and thank you.

You dont have to be a prostitute

Last edited by skialpy; 07-11-2015 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by skialpy View Post
    You dont have to be a prostitute

Well thank you. I wasn't even thinking that!

Get a job, stay in Flagstaff. I'm not sure why there is even a question about this.
    Jesus rides beside me, he never buys any smokes.

call mom
    “THE EDGE, there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.” HST

Wild mushrooms grow in the mountains. Don't eat the ones that will kill you.

Blow all your money on the motel and get some stuff stolen. Start a hardship fund on www.gofundme.com. Promise to blog about your ground breaking adventure. I'm in for a quarter dollar. Good luck.

WTF are you doing in a motel? It's summer! Find the nearest water and camp.
    You shouldn't need anything bigger than a poncho to start. Hang out around the back of restaurants for menial work you can pick up, get by on the throw-aways and then figure out what's next.

Don't spend a nickle unless it helps your situation. Propane stove at the outdoor place to heat the left-overs your hauling home - shit like that.

Going back would not be an option for me.

^^ this. continue your adventure.

Pick up some books by Edward Abbey, sit by a creek and read them, you are in paradise, fuck going home. Get a job.

Just don't get too drunk and end up in the Flagstaff jail like Abbey.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Yeah man, there are waaaaay worse places (you drove through them) to have a truck die than Flagstaff. Cool town.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Find locals in a sport you like. Buy them beer and tell them your story. Don't hit in their girlfriends. Secure low cost housing, find new job in Flagstaff until you figure out what the next step is.
    Success has many fathers, while failure remains an orphan // Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not the fish they are after - HDT

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Yeah man, there are waaaaay worse places (you drove through them) to have a truck die than Flagstaff. Cool town.
    Right? Coulda been Gallup. If this was a troll, that would have been a more successful locale for a tale of woe.
    Jesus rides beside me, he never buys any smokes.

i think it is a sign from the Lard that your truck died, stranding you in such a beautiful spot. Now you've gotta just make it happen.

1) stop blowing money on motels. Camp. Shack up with a cougar. Couchsurfing.com. Make friends on the trail, at the crag, at the river, etc.
    2) get a job, somewhere, anywhere. Don't matter. Fast food. Truck stop or rec center/gym clerk might be a good one 'cause they have showers. Or something more lucrative if you got skills.
    3) buy a cheap bike off craigslist for basic transportation.
    4) sell the truck sans motor, or for scrap, or part it out (depending on value), use proceeds to buy another vehicle
    5) that should take a few months, at which point you decide what you want to do with your life from there. Stay in Flagstaff? Head somewhere else? Or do you really want to go back to Lousiana?

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    1) stop blowing money on motels. Camp. Shack up with a cougar. Couchsurfing.com. Make friends on the trail, at the crag, at the river, etc.
    2) get a job, somewhere, anywhere. Don't matter. Fast food. Truck stop or rec center/gym clerk might be a good one 'cause they have showers. Or something more lucrative if you got skills.
    3) buy a cheap bike off craigslist for basic transportation.
    4) sell the truck sans motor, or for scrap, or part it out (depending on value), use proceeds to buy another vehicle
    5) that should take a few months, at which point you decide what you want to do with your life from there. Stay in Flagstaff? Head somewhere else? Or do you really want to go back to Lousiana?
    This, plus...

6) Find a cool program at NAU and go to school.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.