Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Massive El Nino CA 2016

No doubt I will get my balls busted for posting and jinxing, but after two bad years in the region and two bad snow trips to OR over the years no doubt I will take any good news... This shit has to turn...:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...rnia/29921633/

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Thanks LR... Have no idea how I missed that... 3 trips out west this yeas (east coaster wanabe west coaster) and have had 2 back to back bad year trips... Just need one good year...

Fingers crossed out here man. If we have another bad year, the whole country's going to be eating imported produce. And the whole world is going to be out of almonds.
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Ahh, we'll just switch to groundnuts and really annoy the entire world.

On topic: I hope people are remembering that el nino, massive or otherwise, does not guarantee big precip for central CA. Granted, it's a step in the right direction, but Imma just gonna say, "don;t count your chickens before you brush your teeth.

Yeah, was just saying that to a buddy yesterday. 82-83 El Nino had cool water in the NE Pacific. We don't right now.

^ what Bob said

We defiantly need to unjinx against a stymie around here for next winter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

My thoughts are after two absolute shitty years the odds have to be somewhat stacked in your favor... It has to turn eventually and with an El Nino my trip planning for 2016 will be pointed to your area...

How do AK usually hold up in these El Nino years?

Quote Originally Posted by LiveLarger View Post
    How do AK usually hold up in these El Nino years?
    Not a huge correlation, apparently.

http://bestsnow.net/El_Nino.htm
    That says Thompson Pass is mildly favored.

http://bestsnow.net/Neutral_areas.htm
    But that says Alyeska is indifferent.

I wouldn't put a lot into those because we still only have so much data.

2 bad years?
    Where have you been? My count is 4.
    My buddy who has hung out in the Berkeley marina about every day for the past 15 years says this summers marine layer patterns foretell a wet winter. I'll take whatever positive prediction I can get.

The current monsoon pattern is nice too.

This would be disappointing...I'm now used to the current cycle. I guess I'd live...

Fuck almonds.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

14 posts and this isn't here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvmeUStFvz8

they said the same thing last summer about the upcoming winter. how'd that go?

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    they said the same thing last summer about the upcoming winter. how'd that go?
    Sure. And if you do your homework and actually read and look at charts, you'd know how different this year is. But, by all means, continue to think in binary terms.

ETA: Totally different degrees of certainty too. Apparently that doesn't matter though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahoe Bromide View Post
    2 bad years?
    Where have you been? My count is 4.
    My buddy who has hung out in the Berkeley marina about every day for the past 15 years says this summers marine layer patterns foretell a wet winter. I'll take whatever positive prediction I can get.

The current monsoon pattern is nice too.
    I stand corrected... 2 bad years followed by 2 horrific years... As I said I live on the east coast and use all my vaca to travel out west and my money will be on CA, OR and WA for my trips... Hedging my bets that this shit cannot continue and Ullr will pay 10 fold for fucking you all over for so long...!

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    I stand corrected... 2 bad years followed by 2 horrific years... As I said I live on the east coast and use all my vaca to travel out west and my money will be on CA, OR and WA for my trips... Hedging my bets that this shit cannot continue and Ullr will pay 10 fold for fucking you all over for so long...!
    If things do pan out the way people hope, it still might be a good year to plan a Mammoth trip. Elevation.

We'll only know for sure that next winter was good in about 10 months.

I hear 2030 we are heading back to ice age.
    watch out for snakes

^^^
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-european-sci/

My only problem is figuring out how stop the aging process so I can "enjoy" it.

Curious what the effect actually is, given the other stuff going on:
    http://www.theguardian.com/environme...urope-us-study

Here's the latest on ENSO conditions from Dan Swain of WeatherWest (Stanford):
    http://www.weatherwest.com/archives/3277

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    We'll only know for sure that next winter was good in about 10 months.

Quick, somebody take genius to Vegas to bet on the women's world cup!!!! DoH

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0709092955.htm

60% reduction in the suns power will more than cancel out any warming due to climate change.

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    I hear 2030 we are heading back to ice age.
    Impossible. Even if the sun when out the earth would keep warming with all the CO2 emissions. The sun doesn't have anything to do with the earth's weather.