Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    Not all of our dental practices are as lucrative as yours buddy. FWIW, most Lamborghini's are AWD too, and would make excellent ski cars for a family of 5

Let's put a couple of the maggot favorites of the 5+ passenger world in order of increasing horsepower:

2017 Audi A4 190hp base, 252hp for the bigger engine
    2015 Audi Allroad 220 hp
    2015 Subaru Outback 175 to 256 hp
    2015 Subaru Furburger 170 to 250 hp
    1994 Chevy Suburban 180 to 230 hp (new from the factory...)
    2015 Volvo XC70 230 to 300 hp
    -->2015 Honda Odyssy 248 hp (near the top end outback, more than the base)<--
    2015 Honda Pilot 250 hp
    2015 Subaru Muffintop (Tribeca) 256 hp
    2015 Toyota Highlander 185 to 270 hp
    2015 Ford Explorer 240 to 365 hp
    2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser 260 hp
    -->2015 Nissan Quest 260 hp<--
    -->2015 Toyota Sienna 266 hp (uh oh, this isn't bad)<--
    2015 Toyota 4Runner 270 hp
    2015 Audi Q5 220 to 272 hp
    -->2015 Kia Sedona 276 hp (impossibru!)<--
    -->2015 Chrysler T&C 283 hp (but they're Chrysler HP, which is like only 70% of a real HP)<--
    2015 Ford Flex--280 to 365 hp
    2015 Ford F150--283 to 385 hp (base model HP same as a minivan? BETTER BUY A RAPTOR)
    2000 Chevy Suburban 285 to 300 hp (new from the factory...)
    2015 BMW X6--300 to 445 hp
    2015 Chevy Tahoe/Suburban 355 hp
    2015 Ford Expedition 365 hp
    2015 Hummer H2--393 HP (but you're a douchbag)
    2015 Porsche Cayenne 240 to 520 hp
    Concept Lamborghini Urus (SUV) 600 hp

So, no. Unless you're going for $75k+ Euro performance wagons from BMW or Merc, and a big dumb 'Merica truck, new minivans have as much or more power than everything else. Old minivans were anemic pieces of crap, but they figured them out a bit.
    Yeah, but that Honda Pilot HP drops to 0 when it's on its roof.
    I still call it The Jake.

Zzzzzing!
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by assman View Post
    I am a single guy and any time the gf and I travel we always arrange to rent a minivan. AWD when possible. Those things swallow bikes, camping gear, skis and are great for sex on the road.
    Any guy that ever had a Westphalia or wanted one should immediately see all the practical applications of a mini van, as Assman was so kind to point out. I want another one to do some traveling in. I have seen guys do so cool conversions to Sienna's, so I am kinda leaning in that direction. Those things are great surf and ski cars.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by dufferdan View Post
    2004 AWD Sienna XLS here. The only real issue with the 2004 and 2005's is the requirement for run-flats.
    You know you don't have to put run flat tires on a car just because it came with them. Buy another wheel and tire so you have a spare, and use regular tires.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    You know you don't have to put run flat tires on a car just because it came with them. Buy another wheel and tire so you have a spare, and use regular tires.
    Which is exactly what I would do if I could afford an AWD. However my wife would complain about it being in the trunk. I would have to stick it on the roof like all those bad-ass Jeep Cherokee owners do. I wonder, and I am way to lazy to Google it, do they make a roof top box for a spare that would make it a little more aerodynamic? Or just plain not worth it, except to keep the snow, ice and road crud out of it, which is worth something.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

get regular tires, forget the spare or just leave it at home. get AAA and have them tow you if you get a flat. I cant stand buying run flats.

Quote Originally Posted by MMP View Post
    get regular tires, forget the spare or just leave it at home. get AAA and have them tow you if you get a flat. I cant stand buying run flats.
    Then you live where there is excellent cell coverage and you do not travel in rural areas? Here in VT I would not want the aggravation. The spare would end up on the roof.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Yeah, I got a flat on Saturday that a can of fix-a-flat wouldn't repair. I had cell service, but was quite a ways away from anything. Being able to just throw the spare on and drive to a tire store was a lot nicer than waiting for a tow. Fuck the trend towards not putting spare tires in new cars.

There's also the slime + small air compressor option. Some car company does this for their cars - - Mini? Can't remember.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

My 2005 Odyssey had run flats, but 2! spaces for a donut spare. One in the way back, and one just behind the front seats in a "hidden" compartment. No space in the Sienna??

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    My 2005 Odyssey had run flats, but 2! spaces for a donut spare. One in the way back, and one just behind the front seats in a "hidden" compartment. No space in the Sienna??
    I don't have the AWD I have the FWD so i haven't looked up close, however I am not aware of a space. Unless you want to put it in the trunk. That would suck for us because we are always stowing the seats to throw bicycles in the back. As it is the FWD stores the spare hanging under the vehicle. I have an outstanding recall notice for my 2011 Sienna to fix something regarding this. Apparently something corrodes and the spare falls off. I just don't get why a vehicle would not have space for a full size spare in the vehicle.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    There's also the slime + small air compressor option. Some car company does this for their cars - - Mini? Can't remember.
    Yeah, my brother has a Mini, and that's what it comes with. Guess what happened when he blew a tire? He had to get towed.
    So fuck that too.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Your list is meaningless until you add data for curb weight and drag coefficient. Get on it! This is important.
    The real meaning of this list is if you compared the minivan HP to those of a decade or more ago. Across the board, new minivans come with around 100 more hp than their ancestors.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

I had a Westy Synchro for many years in Alaska, WA, and HI. It was awesome. I sold it at the right time as it would not have been a good fit in other places I lived since I sold it in Hawaii. That said, as I have two small daughters now, I am always looking at camper vehicle options. I know that I do not want the kitchen and so forth, just sleep space, so there are plenty of options. If you do the research on Westphalia and other modification kits, you can get many types of minivans modified with a tent/camper top. Whoever mentioned the Ford Transit, the affordable van plus cool modification options make it my favorite possibility. Worth checking out. If you are gonna pay big money for a new minivan, go the extra mile and make a sweet camper rig for future family fun and ski trips. Definitely on my wish list, just need to wait another couple years for some more predictability before I can pull the trigger.
    "Girl, let us freak."

See, how hard was that?

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    See, how hard was that?

Except that is the FWD version. The AWD does not have that. That is the issue. Only the FWD has the spare.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

I read that the Japanese version of the AWD Sienna has the full sized spare inside. Lots of guys just find a way to mount them inside the van...apparently there is a decent place for them. Entire threads about this on Toyota forums.

thread drift: which of the mid 2000s mid-size SUVs (Exploder, TrailBlazer etc.) have seats that fold flat for storage and sleeping? While I love the mini-van idea, I'm wondering is I'll be leaving a trail of body parts all over the dirt roads of CO due to ground clearance issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    thread drift: which of the mid 2000s mid-size SUVs (Exploder, TrailBlazer etc.) have seats that fold flat for storage and sleeping? While I love the mini-van idea, I'm wondering is I'll be leaving a trail of body parts all over the dirt roads of CO due to ground clearance issues.
    I could always lay my old 4Runner's back seats down flat (2000)
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    I could always lay my old 4Runner's back seats down flat (2000)
    Yeah, same with my 2003 4Runner. And my ancient (1991) Exploder.

Wait, you have a 24-year-old Explorer?

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Wait, you have a 24-year-old Explorer?
    Had, sold it off on '03. Currently rockin' the 4Runner.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    I read that the Japanese version of the AWD Sienna has the full sized spare inside. Lots of guys just find a way to mount them inside the van...apparently there is a decent place for them. Entire threads about this on Toyota forums.
    So far all of the solutions that I am seeing impinge on other functionality that is key, namely keeping all seven seats usable AND being able to stow the rear seats at a moments notice.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    So far all of the solutions that I am seeing impinge on other functionality that is key, namely keeping all seven seats usable AND being able to stow the rear seats at a moments notice.
    I didn't buy run flats for winter tires/wheels. I'm just wingin' it. No spare. I can't think of where I'd put one if I had it. The roof sucks as an option. Figure out a tailgate option? Maybe something that attaches to the tailgate inside? I agree that inability to fold down rear seats would be a deal breaker.

Good news is, nothing to check, so nothing to slow me down from going off half cocked.
    focus.