Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    DPS makes some great skis. I really liked the 120 P3.

I just don't get the whole "We are the only ones who understand powder ski design and build" attitude. Some of the skis are great, some are a little funky, but none are exactly best in class, or justify the price to me.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    DPS makes some great skis. I really liked the 120 P3.

I just don't get the whole "We are the only ones who understand powder ski design and build" attitude. Some of the skis are great, some are a little funky, but none are exactly best in class, or justify the price to me.
    Best in class is highly subjective. I personally think the L138 P3 is the best pow ski I have ever skied by a large margin, and then ofc is best in class. No reason to get offended by their marketing speak.

Kind of want to try the 120 P3 by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveLarger View Post
    Yes, yes you do

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    Yes, yes you do
    Do you have a pair for sale? Dirt cheap?

My favorite pow ski all time, by a thin margin over it's older predecessor the 08 L120 F3. I have been much less impressed with some of the other floppy models with soft flex and mucho rocker they've put out, and have been very meh about the W105's I have. The "lotus 124"doesn't grab me either, or anything with tour1 for that matter, and I can't see ever paying full kit for a pair. I do like that top sheet tho.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Do you have a pair for sale? Dirt cheap?
    Me no sell mine

DPS Lotus 124 - These Look Fun

P3 really seems to bring the power I hear some DPS critics asking for (who I just assume rode softer/earlier built models). "Only" skied 99s and 120s in a P3 but loved both (very different) skis. Each do what they are designed to do precisely well. 120s are shockingly versatile so I am happy to pile on that love train. ...and have TC to thank for my ongoing 99s romance.
    Uno mas

Just a guess, but the 120 is a pin tail design with very little side cut and no tail rocker. With the 124 they have added a fatter tip similar to the 112 which will add more early float, make turn initiation easier and the shorter turn radius. Notice however, the side cut from mid ski to tail is very slight, so it will most likely exit the turn more like the 120 as opposed to the locked turn feel of the 112 with the huge tip to tail side cut. So yeah, it looks like a 120 with a 112 tip to increase early float and help turn initiation. Which I would think would be better groomer and pure pow performance but might snag a bit in mank compared to a regular 120. Nice modification if your choosing between a RPC and a 120

I guess the best COA is for DPS to bring a pair or two of these with demo bindings to the great PNW on one of our softer days.

the 120 doesn't float well enough now?

Quote Originally Posted by shroom View Post
    the 120 doesn't float well enough now?
    Apparently not.

Nah, the L120 floats damn good, excellent for me. It just wants you to be able to accelerate and remain in the fall line to do so. At speed the initiation of these is amazing, dart the eyes the the tips will follow so damn quick, any turn shape and radius is possible. But the now 35M radius (older 43+M) demands you be able to handle the occasional mandatory SG radius turn when it's hard and icy and in tight icy spots they can want to find the fall line which is sometimes exhilarating. The L124 seems geared to someone who may want a little more oomph than the wet noodle Wailer 112 with it's 17M radius will allow but doesn't want the stiffness or can't handle the charge ballzness of a W115 RPC or L120 P3 (now at 122mm with the Spoon:rolleyes) . Better float at slower speed. Tour1 is still a deal breaker for me... but I would demo.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Tour1 construction is the real differentiator from the other products, in my eyes. This is an uber fat ski at 8lbs/pair. Marshal told me about this ski quite some time ago when I asked about a Lotus 120 in Tour1. That was pretty much what he was emphasizing as their goal - uber fat and uber light.

What's the difference between Tour 1 and Powderworks? Has anyone been on the Powderworks 120 that came out last year? This ski is PW, not Tour1. Maybe it's just a difference in marketingspeak, but I don't know. Yeah, they're all kinds of light, but are they cap? Is the construction really the same?

I don't know why I need a fatter tip or that beveled tip (WTF its called) they were hawking cuz the tips are completely out of the snow all the time anyway

https://www.facebook.com/Sharonandle...type=3&theater

photographic proof

but WTF is it a wailer or a Lotus??
    Last edited by XXX-er; 07-10-2015 at 10:59 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Andyski View Post
    What's the difference between Tour 1 and Powderworks? Has anyone been on the Powderworks 120 that came out last year? This ski is PW, not Tour1. Maybe it's just a difference in marketingspeak, but I don't know. Yeah, they're all kinds of light, but are they cap? Is the construction really the same?
    Tour 1 is a new cap construction that will be in production, Powderworks are special edition/new model launches with lighter cores but still essentially a Pure3 layup.

That's my understanding of it

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I don't know why I need a fatter tip or that beveled tip (WTF its called) they were hawking cuz the tips are completely out of the snow all the time anyway

https://www.facebook.com/Sharonandle...type=3&theater

photographic proof

but WTF is it a wailer or a Lotus??
    Are you backseating or mounting the clamps far back? I also keep my tips up most of the time, but nothing like that. Or do the 120 ski like that??

Edit: Not trying to sound rude, I'm genuinely curious. I seem to be more on plane on top of the snow (still with the tips far up)
    Last edited by LiveLarger; 07-10-2015 at 02:00 PM.

It's about how you ski...

and

I have only buried a tip once... and that's my own damn fault.

The powderworks are a special edition ski. The tour1 is a new construction, and you can find more info here (but ticketchecker has it):

http://dpsskis.com/media/pdf/DPS_Catalog_15_16.pdf

If you are a driver, the spoon and rocker do more than just look like some sharks coming out of the water. I really like the spoon on the 120. I ski them in a pure3, and it's a fun ski that can really handle speed well, and arc the radius I need.

I like the look of the 124, as it would be a fun ski, that skis a bit different than the 120.. I haven't had a chance to ski it yet, but I've skied most of everything else now.

If
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    It's about how you ski...

and

I have only buried a tip once... and that's my own damn fault.

The powderworks are a special edition ski. The tour1 is a new construction, and you can find more info here (but ticketchecker has it):

http://dpsskis.com/media/pdf/DPS_Catalog_15_16.pdf

If you are a driver, the spoon and rocker do more than just look like some sharks coming out of the water. I really like the spoon on the 120. I ski them in a pure3, and it's a fun ski that can really handle speed well, and arc the radius I need.

I like the look of the 124, as it would be a fun ski, that skis a bit different than the 120.. I haven't had a chance to ski it yet, but I've skied most of everything else now.

If
    Your pics looks more like how my skis float in the snow. But that's on RPC and L138. I'm just really curious how the 120 ski.

The Gentlemen on your pictures also seems to be a great skier. By the look of it at least.

Too bad he only turns left

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    Tour 1 is a new cap construction that will be in production, Powderworks are special edition/new model launches with lighter cores but still essentially a Pure3 layup.

That's my understanding of it
    Mine, too. The question is then: how does this layup ski? Someone bought last year's white 120s...

When I talked with Marshal a while ago, I think the goal is to bring the 124 to market in a Tour1, eventually. A least at the time he said they were going to make a Tour1 version of the ski (unnamed at the time). I'm sure they'll make a Pure3 version of it too.

I'm still a little confused why they just didn't make the Lotus 120 in a Tour1, but perhaps the market that wants a Tour1 is different from the market that wants a long radius and flat tail? Or perhaps the Lotus 120 doesn't work as well in a softer flex that the Tour1 creates?

I never thought the 190 L120 p3 spoon lacked in the float department.

DPS Lotus 124 - These Look Fun

A bird in the hand...

Making the 120 a bit more manageable perhaps the goal. I love the 120 P3 but literally foot missiles. Stand and hammer. Versatile for their shape but are not effing around. I personally appreciate the commitment give back but not a broad (even by DPS standards) market ski.
    Uno mas

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Too bad he only turns left
    What can i say 😱
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.