Page 16 of 146 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post

Nuclear winter of something similar. I'm starting to believe that we're headed for a legit revolution if the current administration doesn't pull us all in to a major global conflict before we can remove them, vote them out, or prove they're rigging elections even more than just the massive voter suppression on the surface.
    I find your posts super funny.
    You don’t want a revolution. Nobody in their right mind would.

To paraphrase Naomi Klein in her 2014 book "This Changed Everything," major change is coming whether we like it or not. We can either take drastic action now to have some say in how things are going to change or we can do nothing and deal with the consequences of having change forced on us.

Major changes to our economic systems will occur and we may as well have some say in what that will look like. It doesn't mean we need revolution, but the changes we need seem revolutionary.

The below photo breaks my heart. I am ashamed to say I really don't give a shit about what happens to humanity from this, but watching animals die really makes me sad.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture 3.JPG 
Views:	123 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	261677
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    The below photo breaks my heart. I am ashamed to say I really don't give a shit about what happens to humanity from this, but watching animals die really makes me sad.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture 3.JPG 
Views:	123 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	261677
    Aaaand, one Inuit's perspective on the photo:
    https://thewalrus.ca/the-problem-wit...ar-propaganda/
    "Like Ootoovak and Attitaq, Arnalukjuak is skeptical of links made between polar bear health and the effects of climate change. It’s more likely, he says, that bears are just a convenient and effective fundraising tool for environmental groups. He won’t deny that some bears do get sick, orphaned, or maimed fighting each other, making them unable to hunt. “That’s [the] normal cycle,” he says. But there’s no indication that polar bears are in any way endangered. “We don’t have starving polar bears, we don’t have polar bears facing hard times because of ice. As long as we have four seasons—spring, summer, fall, winter—nothing’s going to change.” And, he says, when something does change, Inuit will be the first to notice and raise the alarm."

Even Nat Geo walked back the original caption a bit, saying they couldn't say if it was due to global warming, sickness, or old age. I'm not saying climate change isn't making life harder for certain bear populations, BUT the second I saw your photo I couldn't help but wonder if the bear was just old and sick. Even during the best of times, you'll have wildlife that looks like crap.

It's always tough to take any photo at face value these days. I could also easily find the healthiest elk or deer herd on the planet and find that one loner who's bony, starving, and on the verge of death and use that image to make whatever point I want. Again, not saying that global warming ISN'T the problem with that poor bear, but I'm also not one to get my heart strings pulled very easily. Always ask questions, even when something fits what you may believe.

Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

So now the folks in traditionally snowy and cold parts of the country are getting a taste of why there have traditionally been so many wrecks when it snows even just a little bit down south thanks to slightly warmer, wetter winter. When most of your recent precipitation is rain, all the sand from the past snow event gets washed away. Plus, the surface temps are above freezing when the snow starts to fall making the pavement wet, then frozen wet as it gets cooled. Now you've got ice with no sand under it.

Back in the good old days it stayed mostly below freezing from November through February so the sand didn't get washed away so some was usually already under the new snow and ice events. Way easier to drive on that week in and week out than this rain, rain, rain, rain, SNOW...rain rain rain SNOW cycles.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

OSU STUDY
    Snowpack in Cascades likely to diminish

Researchers at Oregon State University have found that natural variability in the weather patterns of the Pacific Ocean have largely offset the effects of climate change on snow in the Cascades. That variability is probably going to change soon, the researchers said, and snowpacks in western mountain ranges could be decimated. “The western U.S. has received a big assist from natural variability over the past 35 years,” Nick Siler, an OSU atmospheric scientist and lead author on the study, said in a statement. “That’s been great for us so far, but it’s bad news for the future.” Siler’s findings were published in the journal Geophysical Research Letters. Despite the fact that western states have seen about one degree of warming since the early ’80s, snowpacks have remained largely robust in many places, according to the study. “At first glance, this result might appear to indicate that the snowpack is quite resilient to warming,” the authors wrote. “The contribution of global warming to western U.S.
    snowpack loss has in reality been large and widespread
    since the 1980s, but mostly offset by natural variability in
    the climate system.”
    That natural variability looks a lot like the El Niño/La
    Niña phenomenon that most Pacific Northwesterners are
    familiar with, but on a much longer timescale. Whereas El
    Niño/La Niña changes year-to-year, Siler looked at discrepancies in sea-surface temperature over 35 years or longer.
    That variability has trended toward more snow for western mountains for the last three decades, but it isn’t likely
    to last.
    “There has to be a reversion to the mean,” Siler said.
    We’re not sure how long it will last, but we know it can’t last
    forever.”
    To isolate the impacts of natural variability, Siler and
    his co-authors identified natural-occurring circulation
    patterns that affect fluctuations in winter snowpack on a
    yearly basis. They then removed the contribution of the
    variables to snowpack trends since the early 1980s, when
    reliable monthly snowpack observations began in the West.
    In Oregon specifically, the authors, who included
    researchers from the University of Washington and Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, found that Cascade snowpack measured annually on April 1 would have
    declined by 18 to 54 percent since the ’80s without the help
    of natural variability.
    Once that variability goes away, if sea surface temperatures change so that the West isn’t blanketed in extra snow,
    water managers in the region will be left with even less of
    an important and dwindling resource.
    There also remains the chance, Siler said, that when
    the variability changes, it won’t simply go to neutral, but
    instead could serve to exacerbate the impacts of climate
    change.
    “But in the next few decades, I think we’re more likely to
    see natural variability amplify, rather than offset, the loss
    of snowpack due to global warming.”

Blue gauges. S60R? V70R? XC90 V8 sport??

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    Is this the thread where we post pics of the dash?

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    So now the folks in traditionally snowy and cold parts of the country are getting a taste of why there have traditionally been so many wrecks when it snows even just a little bit down south thanks to slightly warmer, wetter winter. When most of your recent precipitation is rain, all the sand from the past snow event gets washed away. Plus, the surface temps are above freezing when the snow starts to fall making the pavement wet, then frozen wet as it gets cooled. Now you've got ice with no sand under it.

Back in the good old days it stayed mostly below freezing from November through February so the sand didn't get washed away so some was usually already under the new snow and ice events. Way easier to drive on that week in and week out than this rain, rain, rain, rain, SNOW...rain rain rain SNOW cycles.
    You must think we never had transitions between the coldest weather and the shoulder season. We deal with icing conditions like that every year. Twice. We always have. Its called Fall and Spring. Not to mention, we drive over mountains on a regular basis. Pretty mundane thing for us to go from slush to ice to powder and then back again on the other side of the pass. And we can do it on a 5-10% grade, in a blizzard, at night. BFD. The big secret is we just spend more on winter tires and 99% of drivers are using FWD, AWD or 4WD when the road is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by ExPowderSnob View Post
    Blue gauges. S60R? V70R? XC90 V8 sport??

XC90 R design.

Doubled the mileage since that post.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Ok, this global warming shit is getting out of hand...

Everybody needs to watch this and share it with everyone you know. The kid gets it.

https://www.ted.com/talks/greta_thun...ce=tedcomshare

So according to this: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/v...ple-to-therapy there are 12 years left to change our ways before it becomes to late to meaningfully change course on climate change.
    While the discussion is pretty doom and gloom, I still find it hard to imagine that society will become so disrupted that the lights go out and mankind is reduced to a state we existed in hundreds of years ago. What am I missing here? Global nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

unbelieveable - here it is the middle of March - 9 days until the first day of Spring and we've got a foot of snow on the ground and 12 degree temp in the valley. WTF? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr or I guess I mean Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

https://www.kxnet.com/news/bismarck-...now/1837947324

and Bismark has had enough climate change. breaks 100 year record for one day snow in march by a couple of inches.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

So according to this: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/v...ple-to-therapy there are 12 years left to change our ways before it becomes to late to meaningfully change course on climate change.
    While the discussion is pretty doom and gloom, I still find it hard to imagine that society will become so disrupted that the lights go out and mankind is reduced to a state we existed in hundreds of years ago. What am I missing here? Global nuclear war?
    some calculation has the rate of CO2 output beyond the tipping point of CO2 in the atmosphere in 12 years. color me skeptical as there are definitely regions in the far east/China where the CO2 pollutant levels would be concentrated enough to simulate that and worse and start showing eefects.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

Have you not seen what happened in Louisiana, Haiti, Puerto Rico, or any number or other places that have been hit by various crises?
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Plus when snowpacks, rivers, and water supplies are damaged or completely altered, that will start a whole new kind of armed conflict in affected areas. No stretch of imagination needed to foresee WW3 resulting from climate change

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Plus when snowpacks, rivers, and water supplies are damaged or completely altered, that will start a whole new kind of armed conflict in affected areas. No stretch of imagination needed to foresee WW3 resulting from climate change
    Russia doesn't think it's a hoax. They planted their flag under the melting artic.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

I agree that is over the top and quite implausible unless we suddenly see a BIG spike in temperatures in a very short time. As far as farming, sure the Midwest may become fallow but Canada? There’s a lot of land up there that is currently too cold for good production. Water will be a problem but as long as the reduction occurs slow enough we can adapt. Don’t get me wrong, I think the climate is fucked but in more of, “this is why we can’t have nice things” way than “we’re all gonna die”.

The most disruptive factor will be the increasing migration of huge numbers of people from places that have become too hot, too dry, or are under water.

Here is an example of the fanatical and incorrect reporting from the disaster industry that really bugs me.

A Heat Wave Tests Europe’s Defenses. Expect More. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/01/c...heat-wave.html

"It is part of an unmistakable trend: The hottest summers in Europe in the last 500 years have all come in the last 17 years. "

I mean, 500 years. Really? 500 years ago was 1519. Was there anybody, anywhere in Europe recording the temperature every day? I don't think so. What kind of instruments did they have? The thermometer wasn't even invented until 1714, so there goes at least 200 years, although doubtful that they were immediately distributed out all over Europe with somebody recording it's readings every day , right? That probably took another 200 years. So, this is just a lie, but, to be polite, an exaggeration. And I see it happen all the time, and read it in "respected" publications like the NYT. Hell, I read somebody blame the Notre Dame fire in that paper on "climate change". Really. This just has to stop. I'm not saying that climate change doesn't exist, but, this Trumpian level evidence reporting is absurd

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GujLcfdovE8

I find what Dr. Judith Curry is saying very disturbing.

If the science is not open to scurtinity then how can it be considered reliable? This Funding is everything approach is concerning. When will it stop. Never again if this is the new approach to science. Mind you I'm not a scientist worrying about keeping my job.

It's a new religion fueled by tenure and academic ambition. "Skeptic" is the new heretic.