Page 67 of 146 FirstFirst ... 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,675 of 3644
    Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    Attachment 295092

Activists propagandize a child with a variety of mental disabilities (well documented, her mom wrote a book on it) to promote their climate doomsday agenda but god forbid you criticize them for it. Criticism of their actions is tantamount to an attack on her. She is a shield.
    Let's see here.. Make the planet more habitable for everyone but cost a few rich people some money versus exterminate an entire race of people based on their religion? Ya, seems like apples to apples up there LOL
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

The snowflakes are butthurt about a girl caring about something that she should care about. She has the balls to sail across the ocean and make shitloads of speeches. What have you trump- and GW-apologists done lately?
    They think I do not know a buttload of crap about the Gospel, but I do.

Quote Originally Posted by skiballs View Post
    Hypocrisy and vitriol is your stock and trade. How much gas did you burn this year selling your trinkets? How big is the house you live in? Do as I say, not as I do.

Even if there is some level of hypocrisy, asking, no ... DEMANDING cleaner options from our providers is still quite a bit better than just pointing fingers without any action at all on you part. Can we do more? Of course, but doing some is still far better than saying fuck it because Joe over there still has a big house.

Speaking of hypocrisy...

Name:  FFDD6482-4BD9-4E43-A76C-6BFD4F7ABD0C.jpeg
Views: 239
Size:  438.9 KB

I don't believe the world will end in 12 years. I don't believe the USA can control the climate and I don't believe you can change your biological sex. Any other "science deniers" out there?

Quote Originally Posted by WMD View Post
    To those who say we're fucked so why try - Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Scientists say we must try to keep temperature increase to 1.5 or 2 degrees max to avoid worst effects of climate change, but every tenth of a degree matters. 2 degrees is better than 3, 3 is better than 4, etc. A bomb doesn't go off after 2 degrees C of increase. Climate change is more like a dial that keeps getting turned up. Stop turning it up.

Thanks for living a low carbon lifestyle. People protesting are doing more good than those not protesting.

Climate change is a big bold overwhelming problem that requires big bold overwhelming solutions. We can’t solve this problem just by asking people to make better choices, we solve it by giving them better options.

We can’t solve it just by some of us choosing to put solar panels on our houses, or to drive our cars less, or to eat less meat, although those are all good things to do.

We solve it by making sure everyone has clean renewable electricity, electric vehicles, and healthy low-carbon food, even if they don’t care about climate change.
    Nobody said that we are fucked so why try.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Greta Thunberg has a message so morally clear and honest that GOP and climate deniers can't say anything about it. So, of course, they go after the messenger, and when that doesn't go well they go after her parents.

Did you know Greta's parents were not strong environmentalists, and certainly not enviro activists? When Greta was younger she saw some classroom movies about climate change and she couldn't let it go. She didn't eat for 2 months, and she developed selective mutism where she only spoke when she felt she really had to. Her growth was stunted by her lack of nutrition and she was seriously depressed.

Her parents talked to her and she told them she was worried about the climate crisis. She convinced them to change - he mother stopped flying which meant she could no longer perform internationally.

When she decided to start striking from school, her parents didn't support her and said she would have to suffer the consequences. She did it anyway.

Her parents sound like pretty amazing parents to me - worried about their daughter, communicating with her, hearing her point of view, changing their lives to align with her beliefs. Supporting her, not shutting her down. I'd love to have those parents.

At about the age of eight, when she first learned about climate change, she was shocked that adults did not appear to be taking the issue seriously. It was not the only reason she became depressed a few years later, but it was a significant factor.

“I kept thinking about it and I just wondered if I am going to have a future. And I kept that to myself because I’m not very much of a talker, and that wasn’t healthy. I became very depressed and stopped going to school. When I was home, my parents took care of me, and we started talking because we had nothing else to do. And then I told them about my worries and concerns about the climate crisis and the environment. And it felt good to just get that off my chest.

“They just told me everything will be all right. That didn’t help, of course, but it was good to talk. And then I kept on going, talking about this all the time and showing my parents pictures, graphs and films, articles and reports. And, after a while, they started listening to what I actually said. That’s when I kind of realised I could make a difference. And how I got out of that depression was that I thought: it is just a waste of time feeling this way because I can do so much good with my life. I am trying to do that still now.”

Her parents were the guinea pigs. She discovered she had remarkable powers of persuasion, and her mother gave up flying, which had a severe impact on her career. Her father became a vegetarian. As well as feeling relieved by the transformation of their formerly quiet and morose daughter, they say they were persuaded by her reasoning. “Over the years, I ran out of arguments,” says her father. “She kept showing us documentaries, and we read books together. Before that, I really didn’t have a clue. I thought we had the climate issue sorted,” he says. “She changed us and now she is changing a great many other people. There was no hint of this in her childhood. It’s unbelievable. If this can happen, anything can happen.”

The climate strike was inspired by students from the Parkland school in Florida, who walked out of classes in protest against the US gun laws that enabled the massacre on their campus. Greta was part of a group that wanted to do something similar to raise awareness about climate change, but they couldn’t agree what. Last summer, after a record heatwave in northern Europe and forest fires that ravaged swathes of Swedish land up to the Arctic, Thunberg decided to go it alone. Day one was 20 August 2018.

“I painted the sign on a piece of wood and, for the flyers, wrote down some facts I thought everyone should know. And then I took my bike to the parliament and just sat there,” she recalls. “The first day, I sat alone from about 8.30am to 3pm – the regular schoolday. And then on the second day, people started joining me. After that, there were people there all the time.”

She kept her promise to strike every day until the Swedish national elections. Afterwards, she agreed to make a speech in front of thousands of people at a People’s Climate March rally. Her parents were reluctant. Knowing Thunberg had been so reticent that she had previously been diagnosed with selective mutism, they tried to talk her out of it. But the teenager was determined. “In some cases where I am really passionate, I will not change my mind,” she says. Despite her family’s concerns, she delivered the address in nearly flawless English, and invited the crowd to film her on their mobile phones and spread the message through social media. “I cried,” says her proud dad.

Such blunt talk has found a broad audience among people jaded by empty promises and eager to find a climate leader willing to ramp up ambition. Thunberg’s rise coincides with growing scientific concern. A slew of recent reports has warned oceans are heating and the poles melting faster than expected. Last year’s UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change spelled out the dangers of surpassing 1.5C of global warming. To have any chance of avoiding that outcome, it said, emissions must fall rapidly by 2030. That will require far more pressure on politicians – and nobody has proved more effective at that over the past eight months than Thunberg.

The girl who once slipped into despair is now a beacon of hope. One after another, veteran campaigners and grizzled scientists have described her as the best news for the climate movement in decades. She has been lauded at the UN, met the French president, Emmanuel Macron, shared a podium with the European commission president Jean-Claude Juncker and has been endorsed by the German chancellor, Angela Merkel.

No, I am not more hopeful than when I started. The emissions are increasing
    You may think this would put the weight of the world on the 16-year-old’s shoulders, but she claims to feel no pressure. If “people are so desperate for hope”, she says, that is not her or the other strikers’ responsibility.

“I don’t care if what I’m doing – what we’re doing – is hopeful. We need to do it anyway. Even if there’s no hope left and everything is hopeless, we must do what we can.”

In this regard, her family see her Asperger’s as a blessing. She is someone who strips away social distractions and focuses with black-and-white clarity on the issues. “It’s nothing that I want to change about me,” she says. “It’s just who I am. If I had been just like everyone else and been social, then I would have just tried to start an organisation. But I couldn’t do that. I’m not very good with people, so I did something myself instead.”

While she has little time for chit-chat, she gets satisfaction from speaking to a big audience about climate change. Regardless of the size of the crowd, she says she does not feel the least bit nervous.

She seems incapable of the cognitive dissonance that allows other people to lament what is happening to the climate one minute, then tuck into a steak, buy a car or fly off for a weekend break the next. Although Thunberg believes political action far outweighs individual changes to consumer habits, she lives her values. She is a vegan, and only travels abroad by train.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ings-go-i-cant

I'm so old, I remember when the press loved criticizing 16-year-olds.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12ACC825-75A6-4B33-99B9-8B906E713770.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	237.0 KB 
ID:	295094

To those who say we're fucked so why try - Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Scientists say we must try to keep temperature increase to 1.5 or 2 degrees max to avoid worst effects of climate change, but every tenth of a degree matters. 2 degrees is better than 3, 3 is better than 4, etc. A bomb doesn't go off after 2 degrees C of increase. Climate change is more like a dial that keeps getting turned up. Stop turning it up.

Thanks for living a low carbon lifestyle. People protesting are doing more good than those not protesting.

Climate change is a big bold overwhelming problem that requires big bold overwhelming solutions. We can’t solve this problem just by asking people to make better choices, we solve it by giving them better options.

We can’t solve it just by some of us choosing to put solar panels on our houses, or to drive our cars less, or to eat less meat, although those are all good things to do.

We solve it by making sure everyone has clean renewable electricity, electric vehicles, and healthy low-carbon food, even if they don’t care about climate change.

I'm just noticing how the "trying" is a lot of talk without any action. Change starts with each one of us, if you are waiting for corporations and big government to make the changes for you you are doing it all wrong. Make them change with your actions and how you spend your money.

So be the change, destroy your car, have one child per person and stop at that, simplify your lives and stop it with the expensive hobbies like skiing. Until then we are all full of shit at some level.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post

I'm just noticing how the "trying" is a lot of talk without any action. Change starts with each one of us, if you are waiting for corporations and big government to make the changes for you you are doing it all wrong. Make them change with your actions and how you spend your money.

So be the change, destroy your car, have one child per person and stop at that, simplify your lives and stop it with the expensive hobbies like skiing. Until then we are all full of shit at some level.
    This.

A lot of us are driving cleaner cars, continually making our homes greener, recycling more., pushing industry for greener energy. Think I read somewhere that Jackson Hole is close to running 100% renewable. We don't have to give up everything to save the climate, only some pretty BIG things. Quit saying all or nothing. There will never be any such thing as all and you know it... That's your bullshit red herring speak..

I understand this point of view, but disagree completely. We need major structural change. According to the IPCC Report from October, 2018, "limiting global warming to 1.5°C would require “rapid and far-reaching” transitions in land, energy, industry, buildings, transport, and cities. Global net human-caused emissions of carbon dioxide (CO2) would need to fall by about 45 percent from 2010 levels by 2030, reaching ‘net zero’ around 2050. This means that any remaining emissions would need to be balanced by removing CO2 from the air." https://www.ipcc.ch/2018/10/08/summa...y-governments/

If you are believing that a low carbon personal lifestyle will lead to these changes in time to avoid the worst effects of a warming planet, you are doing it wrong.

Bill McKibben was asked the one individual thing we can all do to halt climate change. His answer: "stop being an individual." Join the movement to demand change. Change requires collective action.

We need to stop burning fossil fuels. Some of us choosing better lifestyles doesn't make that happen, at least not any time soon. Protesting, rising up as a mass of people power is our only hope.

Quote Originally Posted by skiballs View Post
    Hypocrisy and vitriol is your stock and trade. How much gas did you burn this year selling your trinkets? How big is the house you live in? Do as I say, not as I do.
    Actually, Zero, and 1850 sq. Feet.
    But thanks for asking.
    And real change will happen with massive disruptions of co2 based energy systems.
    I am ready for that.
    That will happen when politicians are persuaded that people won’t stand for it anymore...Greta is calling them out, taking them to task, and awakening the political clout of millions that were heretofore silent.
    She has more courage and conviction than ANY of you naysayers, ever.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

On a serious note.

Anyone else note that she never says precisely what her 'dream' is that she's been deprived of?

TBH I think she was secretly yelling at her parents for pushing her through this shit show.

Her words implicitly demand consent without thought.

The real tell that this is about power and forced submission was the declaration that technology will not be a solution. That leaves only total surrender to the state.

On a serious note.

Anyone else note that she never says precisely what her 'dream' is that she's been deprived of?

TBH I think she was secretly yelling at her parents for pushing her through this shit show.

Her words implicitly demand consent without thought.

The real tell that this is about power and forced submission was the declaration that technology will not be a solution. That leaves only total surrender to the state.
    On a serious note, wow! Seriously?

Don’t know if this link will work, but if so, it’s well worth a read.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...32846497083173

This.
    Individual choices matter but the biggest impact on greenhouse gas emissions comes from things like mitigating methane, 25x more potent than CO2, from oil drilling operations and coal-fired power plants along with maintaining or increasing average fuel economy standards plus better building codes etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    Individual choices matter but the biggest impact on greenhouse gas emissions comes from things like mitigating methane, 25x more potent than CO2, from oil drilling operations and coal-fired power plants along with maintaining or increasing average fuel economy standards plus better building codes etc.

Then stop buying plastic goods and driving cars.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Actually, Zero, and 1850 sq. Feet.
    But thanks for asking.
    And real change will happen with massive disruptions of co2 based energy systems.
    I am ready for that.
    That will happen when politicians are persuaded that people won’t stand for it anymore...Greta is calling them out, taking them to task, and awakening the political clout of millions that were heretofore silent.
    She has more courage and conviction than ANY of you naysayers, ever.
    Commendable on your part. I still think this child is being used for dramatic effect.
    I find it manipulative and off putting. You ever learn to play Althea?

Yes, the rhythm parts and intro. I’ll never get the solo down, that scale eludes me.

On a serious note, wow! Seriously?
    Well...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0332E7BE-171B-410E-9860-C3A95546D2A1.png 
Views:	64 
Size:	747.8 KB 
ID:	295095

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Yes, the rhythm parts and intro. I’ll never get the solo down, that scale eludes me.
    I hear ya, best base line ever.

I understand this point of view, but disagree completely. We need major structural change. According to the IPCC Report from October, 2018, "limiting global warming to 1.5°C would require “rapid and far-reaching” transitions in land, energy, industry, buildings, transport, and cities. Global net human-caused emissions of carbon dioxide (CO2) would need to fall by about 45 percent from 2010 levels by 2030, reaching ‘net zero’ around 2050. This means that any remaining emissions would need to be balanced by removing CO2 from the air." https://www.ipcc.ch/2018/10/08/summa...y-governments/

If you are believing that a low carbon personal lifestyle will lead to these changes in time to avoid the worst effects of a warming planet, you are doing it wrong.

Bill McKibben was asked the one individual thing we can all do to halt climate change. His answer: "stop being an individual." Join the movement to demand change. Change requires collective action.

We need to stop burning fossil fuels. Some of us choosing better lifestyles doesn't make that happen, at least not any time soon. Protesting, rising up as a mass of people power is our only hope.
    And people getting together holding signs made out of cardboard and paper with written messages made with throw away plastic pens and markers or having a 12 year old cry on television isn't going to make anything happen, that's weak shit. If you wanna protest these corporations and big G then stop driving cars and buying their products. that's a protest.

I'm not sorry for disrupting your folks thoughts on this but people need to sip on some reality soup on climate change if we are going to actually stop this from happening. It sure AF ain't going to happen if you think the answer is electric cars. That's fucking hilarious.

If you wanna talk the talk you better be able to walk the walk. Until then I'm mostly hearing a lot of BS from people that aren't ready to make serious sacrifices to their own lifestyles.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Anyone still voting Republican and getting mad at Greta is stating that allowing a children to be an advocate is worse than separating them from their parents and locking them in cages.
    Go cry me a river snowflake, even Thurnberg said it "I shouldn't be here".
    Go fix shit instead of tearing down anyone that thinks differently than you.

And people getting together holding signs made out of cardboard and paper with written messages made with throw away plastic pens and markers or having a 12 year old cry on television isn't going to make anything happen, that's weak shit. If you wanna protest these corporations and big G then stop driving cars and buying their products. that's a protest.

I'm not sorry for disrupting your folks thoughts on this but people need to sip on some reality soup on climate change if we are going to actually stop this from happening. It sure AF ain't going to happen if you think the answer is electric cars. That's fucking hilarious.

If you wanna talk the talk you better be able to walk the walk. Until then I'm mostly hearing a lot of BS from people that aren't ready to make serious sacrifices to their own lifestyles.
    Ok, you don't agree.

So how do we cut global emissions in half by 2030 and to net zero by 2050? What is your solution?

Then stop buying plastic goods and driving cars.
    Consumption is just a small piece in a much larger puzzle.