Page 128 of 138 FirstFirst ... 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 ... LastLast
Results 3,176 to 3,200 of 3430
  1. #3176
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    12,136
    Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    And don’t forget Suckramento.
    "Sacramento, California may be vulnerable to wildfires, but it could still be one of the safest places to avoid the cumulative effects of natural disasters.

    According to Vivek Shandas, an urban-planning professor at Portland State University, Sacramento ranks among the cities that are least vulnerable to the cumulative effects of hurricanes, sea level rise, tornadoes, flooding, droughts, landslides, and wildfires."

    Utter bullshit article. Wildfire risk is minimal; Sacramento is in lowest risk zone, since it is surrounded by farm land, not chaparral or forest. OTOH it has the highest flood risk of any major city in the US--higher than NOLA pre Katrina--it's just dodged the bullet (barely) so far. While it is less vulnerable to short term drought than many places in CA, it is still just as vulnerable to prolonged drought as the rest of the West and Southwest. And at 30 feet above sea level it should be safe from rising sea levels in our lifetimes, it won't be forever.

    But why worry, we're all going to be dead from rat flu soon.

  2. #3177
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    12,136
    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    BBC News - Study finds quarter of climate change tweets from bots
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51595285
    Great way to tell when your on the wrong side of something? Russians, sock puppets, and bots all agree with you. (Deniers)
    The largest use of fossil-fuel-generated electricity is server farms, so the Russian bots are one of the biggest source of CO2. (And before any of you drag out bs articles from denier websites to prove I'm wrong--I made it up)

  3. #3178
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    cottonwood heights
    Posts
    1,190
    Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Commodity “stocks” are going down because economies are on the rise? Basic economics you say. huh.
    you clearly know nothing about commodities / they rise at the end of an up cycle,and are suppressed during a strong economic cycle..compare a dow chart with oil-and you will learn a little. When commodities go up again,above normal trading range,is when the stock market is getting ready to crash. Rising costs are part of that equation
    Last edited by baron; 02-22-2020 at 01:15 PM. Reason: spelling typo
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

  4. #3179
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    cottonwood heights
    Posts
    1,190
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiCougar View Post
    oh-no, 699 new all time cold records broken; store up firewood now; get in you SUV and start it up !:

    https://www.iceagenow.info/brutal-ar...-next-10-days/

    "Brutal Arctic Cold set to Engulf North America over the next 10 Days"

    "Over the past 7 days alone, the U.S. (CONUS) set a total of 600 new all-time cold records vs just the 239 for heat, according to the official data from filthy warm-mongers NOAA."


    >>ok, for those of you who have been littering this page with insults on me, I will not stop.

    the measures used to record higher temperatures have been questioned.

    meanwhile, severity of hurricanes and tornados have been declining historically as has temperatures in some measuremens.

    the California drought picture posted above is a one year event, squaw had 700 inches of snow last year and claifornia is historically dry anyways.

    the have been ice ages occurring with CO2 levels much higher than they are today.

    the greater influence on climate are ocean currents and solar variance than a change in a percent of 0.004% of the atmosphere

    and all of your of the western worlds screaming about CO2 means nothing with china and india and the developing world increasing CO2 output at multiple levels for every ounce of CO2 it reduces.

    your efforts also mean nothing if you do not include nuclear as the cleanest and most efficient energy.

    and you all intend to bankrupt the country over something which will have no measurable affect, so that makes this a political issue(but it's not in polyass, WTH ?)

    so, i'm going to continue to mock you all; keep insulting me if it makes you feel better.
    Good points/ the world is trying to play America for fools with this bait on climate..while we look to waste manpower and cash, the world is burning coal and oil in record numbers.
    Even if the world is right about change, its not America's fault...we are a world leader in non fossil fuel use.
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

  5. #3180
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Missoula, MT
    Posts
    20,633
    Why lead by example when you can say "but teacher, they're doing it more"?

    Also your simplistic view of commodities is hilarious.
    No longer stuck.

    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

  6. #3181
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Edge of the Great Basin
    Posts
    2,044
    Quote Originally Posted by baron View Post
    Good points/ the world is trying to play America for fools with this bait on climate..while we look to waste manpower and cash, the world is burning coal and oil in record numbers.
    Even if the world is right about change, its not America's fault...we are a world leader in non fossil fuel use.
    None of cougrs points are good. Zero. They've all been debunked in this thread.


    Those fairy tales are mathematically contradicted by physics equations, empirical laboratory evidence, and direct satellite observation of infrared spectra radiated downward from the atmosphere.

    Globally 19 of the 20 overall warmest years on record have occurred since 2001 and the six hottest-ever years were 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019.

    Climate and temperature are affected by a lot of factors but there are no other factors such as El Niño, volcanoes, or periodic variations in solar activity (which is tiny relative to total solar output) that account for the long term increasing temperature trend other than greenhouse gases.

    Temperature oscillates up and down from year-to-year due to those other factors but the bottom line is greenhouse gasses dominate the long term warming trend.

  7. #3182
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    cottonwood heights
    Posts
    1,190
    Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    None of cougrs points are good. Zero. They've all been debunked in this thread.


    Those fairy tales are mathematically contradicted by physics equations, empirical laboratory evidence, and direct satellite observation of infrared spectra radiated downward from the atmosphere.

    Globally 19 of the 20 overall warmest years on record have occurred since 2001 and the six hottest-ever years were 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019.

    Climate and temperature are affected by a lot of factors but there are no other factors such as El Niño, volcanoes, or periodic variations in solar activity (which is tiny relative to total solar output) that account for the long term increasing temperature trend other than greenhouse gases.

    Temperature oscillates up and down from year-to-year due to those other factors but the bottom line is greenhouse gasses dominate the long term warming trend.
    this is not fact..just because you post the same B S over and over ,won't make it true.

    the worlds climate history is millions of years old.. and had extremes far more severe in the past , when there was no mankind to affect it.
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

  8. #3183
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Edge of the Great Basin
    Posts
    2,044
    Quote Originally Posted by baron View Post
    this is not fact..just because you post the same B S over and over ,won't make it true.

    the worlds climate history is millions of years old.. and had extremes far more severe in the past , when there was no mankind to affect it.
    Quote Originally Posted by baron View Post
    Co2 based argument for climate change has not been actually proven

    You and cougr are 100% wrong. If the stories you tell yourselves were in any way true, then fundamental math and fundamental physics would have to be wrong. If your silly stories were true then the foundational physical constants that we rely on for so many things, that make life possible, would have to be wrong. They're not.


    For present Earth conditions CO2 accounts for about a third of the clear-sky greenhouse effect in the tropics and for a somewhat greater portion in the drier, colder middle latitudes; the remainder is mostly due to water vapor. The contribution of CO2 to the greenhouse effect, considerable though it is, understates the central role of the gas as a controller of climate. The atmosphere, if CO2 were removed from it, would cool enough that much of the water vapor would rain out. That precipitation, in turn, would cause further cooling and ultimately spiral Earth into a globally glaciated snowball state. It is only the presence of CO2 that keeps Earth’s atmosphere warm enough to contain much water vapor. Conversely, increasing CO2 would warm the atmosphere and ultimately result in greater water-vapor content—a now well-understood situation known as water-vapor feedback.


    More here: https://geosci.uchicago.edu/~rtp1/pa...odayRT2011.pdf

  9. #3184
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Missoula, MT
    Posts
    20,633
    Baron = twitter bot? Sure sounds like one.
    No longer stuck.

    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

  10. #3185
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    13,217
    My impression in the past was that Baron was a pretty normal poster. I am wondering if his account was hacked.

    @ Baron, post in larger font, that is a sure way to convince people.
    Ooof!

  11. #3186
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Aloft
    Posts
    3,451
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    My impression in the past was that Baron was a pretty normal poster. I am wondering if his account was hacked.
    ??????

    He's one of the biggest kooks on this board. Always has been.

  12. #3187
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    12,136
    Some good news buried in here: https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/fe...ycle/page4.php
    If we can just hold on for 30,000 years we should have another ice age

  13. #3188
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    OREYGUN!
    Posts
    14,135
    Antarctica has a record high temps-> climate change is real!

    Hundreds of record lows-> You know someone's a clueless hack when they think record extreme lows disproves warming.

    😂

  14. #3189
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Edge of the Great Basin
    Posts
    2,044
    Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    Antarctica has a record high temps-> climate change is real!

    Hundreds of record lows-> You know someone's a clueless hack when they think record extreme lows disproves warming.
    U.S. daily record highs have outnumbered lows 5 to 1 since 2010.

    The ratio between warm temperature and cold temperature has increasingly veered towards ever warmer temperatures. Without global warming the ratio between record highs and record lows should more or less even out. But that's not happening.

    Instead, what we’re seeing is increasingly higher average global temperatures. It’s counterintuitive, but the fact that the ratio of daily max high to max low records was increasing, by 2:1 in past decades, or 3:1 throughout the aughts, or 5:1 in the most recent decade, instead of balancing out over time, is one of the strongest indicators that the planet is in fact warming.

  15. #3190
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    662
    Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    None of cougrs points are good. Zero. They've all been debunked in this thread.


    Those fairy tales are mathematically contradicted by physics equations, empirical laboratory evidence, and direct satellite observation of infrared spectra radiated downward from the atmosphere.

    Globally 19 of the 20 overall warmest years on record have occurred since 2001 and the six hottest-ever years were 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019.

    Climate and temperature are affected by a lot of factors but there are no other factors such as El Niño, volcanoes, or periodic variations in solar activity (which is tiny relative to total solar output) that account for the long term increasing temperature trend other than greenhouse gases.

    Temperature oscillates up and down from year-to-year due to those other factors but the bottom line is greenhouse gasses dominate the long term warming trend.
    Couger posts things in here that I don't agree with, but virtually none of the points in his post have been debunked like you claim.

    It is also extreme hubris to claim that there are no other possible factors for the warming trend.

  16. #3191
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    26,928
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    My impression in the past was that Baron was a pretty normal poster. I am wondering if his account was hacked.

    @ Baron, post in larger font, that is a sure way to convince people.
    There is Baron, and Red Baron.
    Forum Cross Pollinator

  17. #3192
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Edge of the Great Basin
    Posts
    2,044
    No surprise ron showed up to prop up cougrs decontextualized ridiculousness. After all he's the one posting conspiracy theories from his favorite fraudster Steve Goddard aka Tony Heller along with other fraudulent sites like notrickzone to argue CO2 has nothing to do with warming, so there must be an unidentified cooling/warming force (lol) and how increasing temperature readings are all part of massive global conspiracy.

  18. #3193
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    13,217
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    There is Baron, and Red Baron.
    Knows what I show.
    Ooof!

  19. #3194
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    12,739
    Shit is totally real now.

    https://www.newyorker.com/news/dispa...=pocket-newtab

    Last week, the temperature in Antarctica hit almost seventy degrees—the hottest in recorded history. It wasn’t a one-day fluke. Famed for its snowscapes, the Earth’s coldest, wildest, windiest, highest, and most mysterious continent has been experiencing a heat wave. A few days earlier, an Antarctic weather station recorded temperatures in the mid-sixties. It was colder in Washington, D.C., where I live. Images of northern Antarctica captured vast swaths of barren brown terrain devoid of ice and with only small puddle-like patches of snow.

    The problem is not whether a new record was set, “it’s the longer-term trend that makes those records more likely to happen more often,” John Nielsen-Gammon, the director of the Texas Center for Climate Studies at Texas A. & M. University, told me this week. “It’s sort of like a forest where trees are constantly growing and trees are dying, but if they start dying faster than they can grow back, then you eventually lose the forest,” he said. “The same thing applies to glaciers. Glaciers flow out to the ocean and break off, but if they break off faster then the glacier retreats and you lose ice—and then the sea level goes up around the world.”

    The iceberg that I watched break off from Antarctica was part of a process called calving. It’s normal and a necessary step in nature’s cycle, except that it’s now happening a lot faster and in larger chunks—with existential stakes. The ice in Antarctica is now melting six times faster than it did forty years ago, Eric Rignot, an Earth scientist at the University of California, Irvine, and a co-author of a major study of the continent’s ice health, told me.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

  20. #3195
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    662
    Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    No surprise ron showed up to prop up cougrs decontextualized ridiculousness. After all he's the one posting conspiracy theories from his favorite fraudster Steve Goddard aka Tony Heller along with other fraudulent sites like notrickzone to argue CO2 has nothing to do with warming, so there must be an unidentified cooling/warming force (lol) and how increasing temperature readings are all part of massive global conspiracy.
    No surprise MV has devolved into the usual attacks and mischaracterizations since he's again unable to make a valid argument.

    You call Tony Heller a fraud, but have never been able to post a valid example. I posted a link to notrickszone once, and after looking further into that site, it appears the site shaming is overblown. I have never claimed CO2 has nothing to do with warming. Yes, radiative forces are what determine the swings in earth's climate - amazing you had such a difficult time with that one. And yes, there are many reasons to question the accuracy of the the temperature record.

  21. #3196
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    662
    Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Shit is totally real now.

    https://www.newyorker.com/news/dispa...=pocket-newtab

    Last week, the temperature in Antarctica hit almost seventy degrees—the hottest in recorded history. It wasn’t a one-day fluke. Famed for its snowscapes, the Earth’s coldest, wildest, windiest, highest, and most mysterious continent has been experiencing a heat wave. A few days earlier, an Antarctic weather station recorded temperatures in the mid-sixties. It was colder in Washington, D.C., where I live. Images of northern Antarctica captured vast swaths of barren brown terrain devoid of ice and with only small puddle-like patches of snow.

    The problem is not whether a new record was set, “it’s the longer-term trend that makes those records more likely to happen more often,” John Nielsen-Gammon, the director of the Texas Center for Climate Studies at Texas A. & M. University, told me this week. “It’s sort of like a forest where trees are constantly growing and trees are dying, but if they start dying faster than they can grow back, then you eventually lose the forest,” he said. “The same thing applies to glaciers. Glaciers flow out to the ocean and break off, but if they break off faster then the glacier retreats and you lose ice—and then the sea level goes up around the world.”

    The iceberg that I watched break off from Antarctica was part of a process called calving. It’s normal and a necessary step in nature’s cycle, except that it’s now happening a lot faster and in larger chunks—with existential stakes. The ice in Antarctica is now melting six times faster than it did forty years ago, Eric Rignot, an Earth scientist at the University of California, Irvine, and a co-author of a major study of the continent’s ice health, told me.
    "Media's Horribly Dishonest Antarctica Propaganda"

    http://www.landscapesandcycles.net/m...ropaganda.html

  22. #3197
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Edge of the Great Basin
    Posts
    2,044
    lol @ ron with his defense of notrickszone and his fraudster friend Tony Heller who was exposed earlier in this thread. They are just two examples of the many fraudulent sources and sites ron has posted here:

    "We rank the claims made by both Breitbart and No Tricks Zone as false, because they dramatically misrepresent the findings of the scientists who conducted the research and utilize poorly-articulated straw man arguments to further misrepresent the significance of the work of those scientists."

    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/sc...-warming-myth/

  23. #3198
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bozeman
    Posts
    1,276

    Ok, this global warming shit is getting out of hand...

    Dr Rob Davies of Utah State gave an incredible presentation at Montana State University this past week, talking about the scale of the climate crisis and the scale of the response we need to mitigate it.

    He stressed our risk management is not aggressive - keeping global warming to 1.5-2C only gives us a 66% chance of avoiding tipping points to runaway climate disaster. "That's playing Russian Roulette with 2 bullets in a 6 shooter. None of us would pull the trigger with those odds."

    Yet we aren't even doing enough to keep warming that low. We are currently on a path to 13degrees F of warming in North America by 2100. That would be catastrophic.

  24. #3199
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    12,136
    Quote Originally Posted by WMD View Post

    Yet we aren't even doing enough to keep warming that low. We are currently on a path to 13degrees F of warming in North America by 2100. That would be catastrophic.
    Not for the dinosaurs. Anyway, it's self correcting. Human population is reduced to a handful of hunter gatherers in Greenland and Siberia and Northern Canada, stop burning massive amounts of fossil fuel, meanwhile plants run rampant and eat up all the CO2. Problem solved.

  25. #3200
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    4,299
    Quote Originally Posted by ron johnson View Post
    No surprise MV has devolved into the usual attacks and mischaracterizations since he's again unable to make a valid argument.

    You call Tony Heller a fraud, but have never been able to post a valid example. I posted a link to notrickszone once, and after looking further into that site, it appears the site shaming is overblown. I have never claimed CO2 has nothing to do with warming. Yes, radiative forces are what determine the swings in earth's climate - amazing you had such a difficult time with that one. And yes, there are many reasons to question the accuracy of the the temperature record.
    shut the fuck up you ignorant cunt

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •