Page 4 of 146 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    My wife is from Arizona and can't stand the Seattle heat right now, the window AC unit is needed for the bedroom but I just use fans and freeball in the living room.
    It's the humidity on the west side. I grew up over there and never noticed it, but I feel it's way more uncomfortable over there when the temp pushes into the mid 80s than over here when it's 95+. My kids notice too. It's been over 90 and hovering around 100 for a couple of weeks now and if you're in the shade at midday it's really not bad. Only problem is is that it hasn't been cooling off at night. I can't remember the last time it dipped below 75. On the plus side the humidity hasn't been over 20% since the end of May and runs low teens to single digits during the day.

Quote Originally Posted by NoPostholio View Post
    And ironically the nyt (op ed) fires back against proff mass -
    Seattle on the Mediterranean http://nyti.ms/1dByrHQ
    ?Fires back? What? Are we reading the same words?
    http://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2015/0...t-so-warm.html
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

there was a good back and forth between Lynas and Ridley in November.

http://www.marklynas.org/2014/11/matt-ridley-responds/

It's hot and humid as fuck in Baltimore, but that's par for the course.

Now, the other day we had like 5-6" of rain over a 24 hour period. That shit is just weird. The weather is getting really, really odd. I blame Obama and climate change.
    They think I do not know a buttload of crap about the Gospel, but I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    the comments point out a common theme in these type of discussions -> long discredited studies being thrown around like they have merit by people with a agenda. this has happened with PCB (they were banned because of a flawed study), Vaccines, GMOs, sunscreen...

Quote Originally Posted by Grape_Ape View Post
    It's hot and humid as fuck in Baltimore, but that's par for the course.

Now, the other day we had like 5-6" of rain over a 24 hour period. That shit is just weird. The weather is getting really, really odd. I blame Obama and climate change.
    Wait, it rained hard in the summer, no way. It was in the seventies yesterday and maybe 80 today. You're either weak, fat or both.

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    i dont read anything about climate change-> but here is a article!! lol.
    If it didn't come across in what I posted I meant to say I no longer spend my days pouring over articles on the subject. If it comes on the news I listen but I don't get my panties in a bunch about it. FWIW I didn't read that article past what I posted. I posted it for those who like to read/rehash/accept/reject the subject.

^ you shouldn't be wearing panties if it's triple digits.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    I could have misconstrued, but seemed like the op ed guy was worried about pnw heat sticking around whereas I got the feeling C mass was leaning towards being less concerned of imminent catastrophe. I would rather CM be right b/c I like skiing in Aug.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Quote Originally Posted by skiballs View Post
    Wait, it rained hard in the summer, no way. It was in the seventies yesterday and maybe 80 today. You're either weak, fat or both.
    Neither fat nor weak...but your post was very weak. 5-6" isn't out of the ordinary for you? I perform hydrologic analyses for work. 100-year storm for Baltimore is 7.1". 10-year storm is 5.1". Seems like an excessive rainfall to me. Jackass.
    They think I do not know a buttload of crap about the Gospel, but I do.

It did rain hard last Saturday, what was the high that day 70?

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    I posted it for those who like to read/rehash/accept/reject the subject.
    Unsure how a gloom and doom article sheds any light on the subject. The piece did not include a single bit of evidence, data or sources.

This highlights a big growing issue--> how people/media tend to ignore the experts or even general scientific consensus and take articles like this to heart. Nerdy shit explaining the science does not sell, but possible death and destruction sure at hell do.

thread title constantly makes this go into my head

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    In the shade, 100 yds. from the river, now a wide creek.

How do you wax for 95F? And why?
    Maybe Brazilian bikini wax?

im of the opinion that climate change is a long term threat to not only the survival of humans, but also to the survival of most other plants and animals on earth larger than planckton, ocean acidification probably being the most worrying aspect of it all.

that said, there are certain groups within the climate science community who focus on the threat posed by climate change and yet they sidestep one of the most blaringly obvious causes of the problem - that is the growth of emmissions caused by economic growth in general. no reasonable person believes fossil fuels can ever be 100% replaced as a necessary component in virtually all human logistics and so its disingenuous and self-serving to suggest that the climate change problem can be fixed with something like a carbon tax and technology that hasnt even been invented yet, i.e. 'clean' technology. yet they continue to bang on the carbon tax credit/clean tech/ consume-away drum while they fly around the world funded largely by the system thats causing the problem (likely not wanting to bite the hand that feeds them). nothing discredits the field more than this type of blatant hypocacy, and this type of behavior, planely visible to all, is just as detrimental if not moreso than the oil lobby.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    We average about 3" in June and got over 13" this year. That's a lot of rain.
    It sure is. It's been dry as a bone in Seattle. The total since January 1st is just a hair over 16" at Seatac. But doesn't it rain all the time in Seattle? We've received a whopping 0.23" in June, and the bulk of that was the 0.18" received on June 1st. Since then there has been essentially no precip. It's not all that unusual for that to occur in July/August in Seattle, but is pretty unusual to occur in June (average is about 1.5"). The old joke that summer doesn't begin until July 5th won't be used this year. It's been full-on summer since May.

Unsure how a gloom and doom article sheds any light on the subject. The piece did not include a single bit of evidence, data or sources.

This highlights a big growing issue--> how people/media tend to ignore the experts or even general scientific consensus and take articles like this to heart. Nerdy shit explaining the science does not sell, but possible death and destruction sure at hell do.
    Case in point: http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/eu...-say-1.3137452

"The heat wave analysis, which looked at five European cities, is part of a World Weather Attribution programme led by Climate Central, a U.S.-based science journalism organisation, and supported by scientists from organizations around the world, including Oxford University, the University of Melbourne, the Royal Netherlands Meteorological Institute and van Aalst's Climate Centre.

The programme aims to use climate and weather data, forecasting and climate models to show how changing weather patterns are linked to climate change."

it's just keeps on rolling back east, 76 with low dew point, currently.
    it was 46 when i woke up.
    same everyday!
    gonna be a big winter, i can feel it.
    maggots are going to be moving east at some point, it's so nice here!
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by BCMountainHound View Post
    Case in point: http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/eu...-say-1.3137452

"The heat wave analysis, which looked at five European cities, is part of a World Weather Attribution programme led by Climate Central, a U.S.-based science journalism organisation, and supported by scientists from organizations around the world, including Oxford University, the University of Melbourne, the Royal Netherlands Meteorological Institute and van Aalst's Climate Centre.

The programme aims to use climate and weather data, forecasting and climate models to show how changing weather patterns are linked to climate change."
    I don't follow.

One could say your article is better than KQ's simply because it mentioned having data--> but it still seems kinda cherry picked. Why only use only 5 cities? And how did they figure the probability of a heat event happening? Id love to see evidence and not just a summary of some NGO's press release

I linked an obviously poor piece of journalism to support your argument above. For all the reasons you just mentioned. There may be good science being employed in the NGO endeavour but that is not the point of the article IMO.

damn Im dense sometimes. apologies.

is it your contention that human interest articles talking about the effects of climate change on a particularly vulnerable population should also contain nerdy science stuff to lend them legitimacy?

There's plenty of data out there to show that the Marshal Islands are fucked. Sea levels *are* rising and will continue to do so. Probably more rapidly as time goes on and things like the antarctic ice shelves disappear and all that ice they've been holding back gets really rolling down into the ocean. It doesn't take a genius to figure out how that's going to affect some atolls that are only a few feet of above sea level at their highest points.

In short, I don't think that article was so terrible - it wasn't meant to be a technical discussion of the causes of global warming, it was meant to bring to the attention of the masses the negative affects of what's occurring. People can argue about the causes all they want, but anyone who denies what's actually happening is simply willfully ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Plainview View Post
    it was meant to bring to the attention of the masses the negative affects of what's occurring. People can argue about the causes all they want, but anyone who denies what's actually happening is simply willfully ignorant.
    then they should present the facts on what's occuring. according to the IPCC the earth has warmed by 1.53 degrees F in the last 100 years. But thats not all our fault--> IPCC attributes only half that to man. Even so the last 17 years have been flat with virtually no warming. Now take a look back at the dire IPCC predictions from 2007 and look at how far they were off. This is because the water vapor greenhouse theory has never been proven, yet they still use it in the models.

Also overall warming is not necessarily bad -> 14% increase in green vegetation over the last 30 years.

and that gets to the bottom line-> 88% of scientists agree that climate change is influenced by man. this does not mean that they think its dangerous.

Why does a human interest article about rising sea levels have to be chock-full of scientific facts to be relevant?

Sea levels are rising. This is fact. Landlocked ice is melting and contributing to this as is, to a smaller degree, rising ocean temperatures. There is plenty of data corroborating that. Just because a fluff piece about what this is doing to the Marshal Islands doesn't present an in-depth analysis of why sea levels are rising doesn't make the article irrelevant and says nothing one way or the other about causes or the quality of global warming research.

Or, are you one of these people that believes the melting of Greenland's ice sheet and the break up of the Antarctic ice shelves which hold back massive amounts of landlocked glacial ice don't/aren't having any effect?

Quote Originally Posted by skiballs View Post
    ^ you shouldn't be wearing panties if it's triple digits.
    Ha! that's funny shit

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    it's just keeps on rolling back east, 76 with low dew point, currently.
    it was 46 when i woke up.
    same everyday!
    gonna be a big winter, i can feel it.
    maggots are going to be moving east at some point, it's so nice here!
    Shhh! You're not supposed to get them thinking like that. Dumbass