Page 28 of 146 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ron johnson View Post
    I'm not even a conservative. Half my wardrobe is Patagonia believe it or not.
    Hahahaha holy fuck I love this guy now.

I don't view global warming as a major threat, really just for those living at sea level.
    A lot of people who are nowhere near the ocean and who rely on the slow release of glacial meltwater for their survival would disagree with you.

Ruh roh, climate change is getting expensive. The US had 14 separate billion dollar plus weather and climate disasters in 2018. Of course this will only get more and more expensive as the temperatures increase.

But switching to renewables, which are cheaper than fossil fuels anyway, is way too expensive. Best to not do anything.

Name:  https---blogs-images.forbes.com-marshallshepherd-files-2019-02-Map-of-January-to-December-2018-U.png
Views: 245
Size:  642.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by NWFlow View Post
    Originally Posted by ron johnson
    I'm not even a conservative. Half my wardrobe is Patagonia believe it or not.

Hahahaha holy fuck I love this guy now.
    Fucking gold!

WMD,

By this point you should at least be starting to realize that any claims connecting global warming to extreme weather events are rooted in bullshit. Especially anything US centric, the US weather record is indisputable. From that point maybe you might start wondering what other bullshit you are being sold, but....

Choices always were a problem for you.
    What you need is someone strong to guide you.
    Deaf and blind and dumb and born to follow,
    What you need is someone strong to use you
    Like [Al Goreeee],
    Like [Al Goreeee].

"Scientists confirm July set new global heat record"

July was the hottest month measured on Earth since records began in 1880, the latest in a long line of peaks that scientists say backs up predictions for man-made climate change.

The U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said Thursday that July was 0.95 degrees Celsius (1.71 degrees Fahrenheit) warmer than the 20th century average of 15.8 C (60.4 F) for the month.

Because July is generally the warmest month on the calendar, meteorologists say this means it also set a new all-time monthly record for the past 140 years.

The results had been expected after several European countries including France, Belgium and Germany reported that July smashed previous national temperature records. The Swedish hamlet of Markusvinsa recorded a sizzling 34.8 C (94.6 F), the highest temperature measured north of the Arctic Circle.

According to NOAA’s records, 9 of the 10 hottest Julys on record have occurred since 2005 and last month was the 43rd consecutive July above the 20th century average.

The record temperatures notched up in July were accompanied with other major landmarks. Average Arctic sea ice, for example, was almost 20% below average in July, less even than the previous historic low of July 2012.

The July peaks came hot on the heels of a sizzling June, which ended up being the hottest June recorded over the past 140 years.

The year to date is also 0.95 C (1.71 F) above the long-term average, still slightly behind 2016 and on a par with 2017, NOAA said.

Meteorologists expect 2019 won’t beat the current record for warmest year, set in 2016.
    https://www.apnews.com/008f6cf2564c443e8743099a3010911d

ron johnson

This message is hidden because ron johnson is on your ignore list.
    View Post

Remove user from ignore list
    3 clicks.

WMD,

By this point you should at least be starting to realize that any claims connecting global warming to extreme weather events are rooted in bullshit. Especially anything US centric, the US weather record is indisputable. From that point maybe you might start wondering what other bullshit you are being sold, but....

Choices always were a problem for you.
    What you need is someone strong to guide you.
    Deaf and blind and dumb and born to follow,
    What you need is someone strong to use you
    Like [Al Goreeee],
    Like [Al Goreeee].
    Bonus point for the Opiate ref. but immediately rescinded due to argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Bonus point for the Opiate ref. but immediately rescinded due to argument.
    Care to refute the argument? No one has been able to yet...

Neufox's favorite back with a debunking of the hottest July ever:

Neufox's favorite back with a debunking of the hottest July ever:

Gotta hand it to you, doubling down on stoopid takes a special snowflake to keep it going

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    Gotta hand it to you, doubling down on stoopid takes a special snowflake to keep it going
    You've already demonstrated that you aren't informed enough to have any place in this discussion.

Ok, this global warming shit is getting out of hand...

Actually Greenland has been accumulating ice faster than melting the past 2 years, but its not important. If you can't see that a report making headlines across major networks on 1 day of record melt during a summer of melting within the range of normal is propaganda I don't know what to tell you. If, at the end of the summer, they report that there has been record ice loss this year, I'd have no issue, but singling out a single day is nothing but stoking alarm. It's possible to have a record melt day in the summer and still gain mass over the year.

Sea levels have been rising at about the same rate of ~3mm/year since 1850, with no rate increase in recent times. Notice the first 100 years of this rise are before increasing CO2 levels: https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...13002750#f0015

Yes, everyone is saying we need to get to 100% renewables. Just ask WMD, both his NY and Montana plans want 100% renewables. If you don't get close to 100% from non carbon, you don't end up seeing a significant decline in CO2 output. For the 100th time, look at Germany for an example.

Re: cost projections. Obviously this depends on your perspective. I don't view global warming as a major threat, really just for those living at sea level. If you are one to believe that fossil fuels are going to lead to extinction, well there is no cost greater than that.
    No, sea level hasn’t been increasing at 3mm a year since 1850. Again you are dead wrong. Where in that link does it say sea level has increased at 3mm a year since 1850? Does this graph look linear to you?

https://climate.nasa.gov/system/char...Level_left.gif

why even bother? fuck this guy. I hope it comes out what his regular name is, because fuck that guy too.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    why even bother? fuck this guy. I hope it comes out what his regular name is, because fuck that guy too.
    Yep, debating a gaslight is waste. All this online shit is mostly a waste. We are no match for the troll farms.

Getting out and rubbing elbows with politicians and their people is a much more effective way to make a difference. I've been amazed how fired up people are about climate change when I have gone to see candidates speak this summer here in Iowa. A show of force. Put out the gaslight.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    No, sea level hasn’t been increasing at 3mm a year since 1850. Again you are dead wrong. Where in that link does it say sea level has increased at 3mm a year since 1850? Does this graph look linear to you?

https://climate.nasa.gov/system/char...Level_left.gif
    How dense can you be? In the top right of your link it says 3.3mm/year. The study I previously linked said 3.1mm/year. Congrats, sea level rise has increased by 2 tenths of a millimeter per year. Ready the sandbags!!

I can't believe how much you guys appeal to authority and refuse to even try to use your brains. Are you guys able to get dressed in the morning without your mom laying out your clothes the night before?

I can't believe how much you guys appeal to authority and refuse to even try to use your brains. Are you guys able to get dressed in the morning without your mom laying out your clothes the night before?
    That's very nice. My mom is dead.

Katharine Hayhoe: 'A thermometer is not liberal or conservative'

"The award-winning atmospheric scientist on the urgency of the climate crisis and why people are her biggest hope"

This year has hit home how climate change loads the dice against us by taking naturally occurring weather events and amplifying them. We now have attribution studies that show how much more likely or stronger extreme weather events have become as a result of human emissions. For example, wildfires in the western US now burn nearly twice the area they would without climate change, and almost 40% more rain fell during Hurricane Harvey than would have otherwise. So we are really feeling the impacts and know how much humanity is responsible.
    https://www.theguardian.com/science/...st-crisis-hope

Name:  Geological_Timescale.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  86.6 KBName:  395543_1_En_85_Fig1_HTML.gif
Views: 304
Size:  117.8 KB
    Climate change is definitely real and there's no doubt that humans have had an impact. The question is, how much of an impact? What temperature is the Earth "supposed" to be? It is a dynamic system and there will always be extreme fluctuations. Most graphs only show the last 500 years or so, which is very convenient when trying to push the agenda of man made climate change. As you can see by the graphs, large temp swings in short periods of time occurred long before humans started burning fossil fuels. This current warming trend started 20,000 years ago. Unlike previous warming trends, it has actually leveled off instead of spiking.. C02 in the atmosphere also lags behind temp increase... I majored in Environmental Studies for 2 years and my profs were split 50/50 on the effects of man made climate change (to my surprise). Also, my Environmental Economics class came to the conclusion that the most cost effective way to combat global warming was to paint all roads and roofs white... My prof concurred.. This was 3000+ level class. Not a bunch of freshmen..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DTcJ8BYVAAEULtT.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	520.8 KB 
ID:	291463
    I'm from rural MN where temp range over the course of the year is extreme. The amount of energy needed to survive and the style of housing that is required to mitigate these extreme temp swings (while also supporting snow load) is a huge burden (environmentally and economically). If you believe in man made global warming, maybe the question we should be asking is "where are the most energy efficient places for humans to live". Places like rural MN are not very conducive to a single type of alternative energy.. You really need a combination of geothermal, solar and wind. I priced out a system like this for my family's farm and the cost was over $80k (including 3 Tesla batteries) for a 4,000 sq. ft. home, a 1,200 sq. ft. cabin, 4 stall garage (non-heated) and 1,000 sq. ft. barn (non-heated). The property is appraised at $500k for reference... It would have been nearly 100% sustainable with some energy (5%) going back to the grid in summer and some being taken in during the winter (10-20%). The ROI was approximately 12-15 years (depending on future energy costs and weather patterns).

I also believe that climate change gets shoved to forefront of environmental issues, when the more urgent issues are biomagnification of toxins (especially in the ocean) and the decimation of the global insect population (which is a cornerstone for all living organisms). Insects aren't as cute as polar bears, so the general public doesn't really care (exception is bees).

If you have facts and logic to change my mind, I'm all ears. Or just shout me down with emotional responses and 500 year graphs...
    "Skiing is the easy part, Carl."

WMD must be part of a Russian troll farm or paid by the renewables industry at this point.

My mom laid out a great wardrobe for me today. It's half Patagonia! Im ready to go get change for a nickel.

Quote Originally Posted by SlyFoxxx View Post
    I majored in Environmental Studies for 2 years and my profs were split 50/50 on the effects of man made climate change (to my surprise). Also, my Environmental Economics class came to the conclusion that the most cost effective way to combat global warming was to paint all roads and roofs white... My prof concurred.. This was 3000+ level class. Not a bunch of freshmen..
    Did you factor in the surface area of the poles and average winter snow coverage versus that of roofs and roads in your analysis along with the negative impact cloud cover has when the roofs and roads are white?

These folks did

Effects of Urban Surfaces and White Roofs on Global and Regional Climate

White roofs reduce summer air conditioning energy demand and change surface albedo. A conversion of rooftops worldwide to white roofs, accounting for their albedo effect only, was calculated to cool population-weighted global temperatures by ~0.02 K but to warm the earth overall by ~0.07 K. Local ground cooling stabilized surface air, reducing sensible and latent heat fluxes and local cloudiness, increasing local surface solar radiation, resulting in local cooling smaller in magnitude than without the cloud reduction. Higher reflection also increased air heating by black and brown carbon in soot. Feedbacks of local changes to the global scale were magnified over high-latitude snow and sea ice, causing a net but highly uncertain warming effect on global climate. The local cooling due to white roofs may reduce or increase energy demand and thus other emissions as well, a factor not accounted for in these simulations. This feedback should be considered in any final assessment of the effects of white roofs on climate

Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!