Page 17 of 146 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Here is an example of the fanatical and incorrect reporting from the disaster industry that really bugs me.

A Heat Wave Tests Europe’s Defenses. Expect More. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/01/c...heat-wave.html

"It is part of an unmistakable trend: The hottest summers in Europe in the last 500 years have all come in the last 17 years. "

I mean, 500 years. Really? 500 years ago was 1519. Was there anybody, anywhere in Europe recording the temperature every day? I don't think so. What kind of instruments did they have? The thermometer wasn't even invented until 1714, so there goes at This just has to stop. I'm not saying that climate change doesn't exist, but, this Trumpian level evidence reporting is absurd
    Because there’s no way to determine past temperatures unless somebody was there with a thermometer. Un possible. Without thermometers there can be no temperature. Ipso fucking facto.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by ms ann thrope View Post
    Because there’s no way to determine past temperatures unless somebody was there with a thermometer. Un possible. Without thermometers there can be no temperature. Ipso fucking facto.

So, how are they accurately determined?

Please, no tree rings. Just, don't .

Wha chu gots aginst tree rings old man?

So, how are they accurately determined?

Please, no tree rings. Just, don't .
    study of radiocarbon-dated box core data from marine sediments

examination of mollusc growth patterns

A reconstruction based on ice cores

data from botany, historical document research and meteorology, combined with records indicating prevailing temperature and rainfall

examining spatial patterns of surface temperatures shown in multi-proxy reconstructions

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_Warm_Period
    And tree rings. All independent data sources that reflect similar insights and corroboration of the other independent data sources.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

I said accurately determined.

Quote Originally Posted by ms ann thrope View Post

oye vey.

paleo temperatures are modeled off of co2 percentages in ice cores between the holocene and the pliestocene. i think there are also isotopic analysis and growth rates for coral.

There is no e in oy.

i'm a goy

i feel dirty but i like it

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    So according to this: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/v...ple-to-therapy there are 12 years left to change our ways before it becomes to late to meaningfully change course on climate change.
    While the discussion is pretty doom and gloom, I still find it hard to imagine that society will become so disrupted that the lights go out and mankind is reduced to a state we existed in hundreds of years ago. What am I missing here? Global nuclear war?
    eventually the world will go for geo engineering or a consortium of nations will shove it down the world's throat backed by big fucking bombs

So now we know the answer: If a tree falls in a forest and no one was around to hear it, it didn't make a sound.

Or just read this: https://www.theguardian.com/environm...rature-proxies

Here is an example of the fanatical and incorrect reporting from the disaster industry that really bugs me.

A Heat Wave Tests Europe’s Defenses. Expect More. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/01/c...heat-wave.html

"It is part of an unmistakable trend: The hottest summers in Europe in the last 500 years have all come in the last 17 years. "

I mean, 500 years. Really? 500 years ago was 1519. Was there anybody, anywhere in Europe recording the temperature every day? I don't think so. What kind of instruments did they have? The thermometer wasn't even invented until 1714, so there goes at least 200 years, although doubtful that they were immediately distributed out all over Europe with somebody recording it's readings every day , right? That probably took another 200 years. So, this is just a lie, but, to be polite, an exaggeration. And I see it happen all the time, and read it in "respected" publications like the NYT. Hell, I read somebody blame the Notre Dame fire in that paper on "climate change". Really. This just has to stop. I'm not saying that climate change doesn't exist, but, this Trumpian level evidence reporting is absurd
    Benny--just because you don't understand something that doesn'tmean it's wrong. Just because you only know how to tell temperature with a thermometer doesn't mean other people can't tell temperature other ways. I can't do a backflip--therefore no one can. C'mon, I thought you were smarter than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Satch View Post
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GujLcfdovE8

I find what Dr. Judith Curry is saying very disturbing.

If the science is not open to scurtinity then how can it be considered reliable? This Funding is everything approach is concerning. When will it stop. Never again if this is the new approach to science. Mind you I'm not a scientist worrying about keeping my job.
    Science has always been this way--it is imperfect because it is done by human beings. But science continues to test and reassess and sometimes overturn orthodoxy, maybe not as quickly as one would like but it happens. The pendulum swing of theory is well known in medicine. There is an orthodoxy, nothing that contradicts it is funded or published, until one day someone produces as contradictory theory with evidence so compelling it cannot be ignored. Suddenly there is a new orthodoxy and work supporting the old orthodoxy can't get funded or published--until one day it becomes the new new orthodoxy, and on and on. Practice medicine long enough and you see ideas that you thought were long dead come back to life.

Group think never works.
    Name:  330px-Nagasakibomb.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  34.5 KB

OK, maybe it does

OG I get how new findings can change theories but this "tow the line because this is our new cash cow or else" approach needs to stop
    Shame, like the media it was better when it wasn't about the money but about the work. Taking a claim and working to verify it or to say "at this time we don't know or we can't not verify our sources to give a factual conclusion"
    Politicians want the next wave of Taxation and science too along with multinational corporations that ultimately benefit from the contracts from such monies. What Al Gore started wasn't going away because the plan was to make willing participants pay a new tax. Start them off young because the demographic of millennials with soon out vote even other demographic.
    The trap was set long before the message was politicized and exploited.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Benny--just because you don't understand something that doesn'tmean it's wrong. Just because you only know how to tell temperature with a thermometer doesn't mean other people can't tell temperature other ways. I can't do a backflip--therefore no one can. C'mon, I thought you were smarter than that.

Ok, then, how do you tell temperature accurately "other ways"? Accurately. I say that, because the reporter used two specific numbers. 500 years, and 17 years, so she's not generalising. Tree rings and ice cores are not as accurate as modern instruments. There's a range, right? And how can that evidence ever be proven? It's just speculation, right?

Ok, then, how do you tell temperature accurately "other ways"? Accurately. I say that, because the reporter used two specific numbers. 500 years, and 17 years, so she's not generalising. Tree rings and ice cores are not as accurate as modern instruments. There's a range, right? And how can that evidence ever be proven? It's just speculation, right?
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...-temperatures/

We don't need to know the exact temperature everywhere at every second for all of history to get reasonably, statistically significant estimates of average global or regional temperatures.

It's a new religion fueled by tenure and academic ambition. "Skeptic" is the new heretic.

It’s snowing in Mexico in the summer. 6 fucking feet of it. Something ain’t fucking right.....

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ce/1616199001/

Name:  2CBBA9C3-F8F8-47DF-94D8-361FE098C89F.jpeg
Views: 342
Size:  82.4 KB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	36F073C6-D633-48C7-92D9-D9204B71606F.jpeg 
Views:	338 
Size:	106.7 KB 
ID:	287440

Had to send in the freakin’ army dudes for shovel duty...

Name:  E58D67E8-29C6-4C8F-97B5-880656C18072.jpeg
Views: 341
Size:  53.0 KB

fuck them tree rings though

Ok, but, here's the thing. First, from that:

"trapped in deep ice cores are tiny bubbles of ancient air, which we can extract and analyze using mass spectrometers. Temperature, in contrast, is not measured directly, but is instead inferred from the isotopic composition of the water molecules released by melting the ice cores."

Now, I'm not disputing that we can figure out a general idea of historical climate from this method, although I'm a tad skeptical that's it's valid going back a million years and for an area much larger than the region they take these samples, but, again, what is the range of temperatures that we're talking about, you know, beyond "cool", "cold", or, "warm"? Nobody gives me a number, because, well, they can't. But, we're comparing that data set, if it is a data set, with present day records, which are infinitely more accurate. The person who wrote this article specifically said "It is part of an unmistakable trend: The hottest summers in Europe in the last 500 years have all come in the last 17 years." Those are numbers. And they have no real basis. We have no idea how hot it was in Paris in 1519, other than, maybe, well, "pretty hot", or, "mild", or something.

I don't think that bus is gonna come for a while.

So, everything the science community knows about how elements and laws of physics behave under different temperature scenarios tells us that recent climate is doing things to those elements beyond what the most extreme heats of the past did to those elements. And dating samples tells us when those past extremes occurred. We can infer past extreme temps based on preserved samples of those elements. Are we fishing for another explanation? Or, are we just trying to poison the well with whatabboutism?

Oh, they are definitely trying to poison the well.

What say ye to the fact that the oldest ice core sample ever pulled is 2.7 million years old, yet earth is like 4.5Billion years old...lots of millions in a billion....what was happening before 2.7 million years ago? Could there be answers there too? we dont know what we dont know...

Ok, but, here's the thing. First, from that:

"trapped in deep ice cores are tiny bubbles of ancient air, which we can extract and analyze using mass spectrometers. Temperature, in contrast, is not measured directly, but is instead inferred from the isotopic composition of the water molecules released by melting the ice cores."

Now, I'm not disputing that we can figure out a general idea of historical climate from this method, although I'm a tad skeptical that's it's valid going back a million years and for an area much larger than the region they take these samples, but, again, what is the range of temperatures that we're talking about, you know, beyond "cool", "cold", or, "warm"? Nobody gives me a number, because, well, they can't. But, we're comparing that data set, if it is a data set, with present day records, which are infinitely more accurate. The person who wrote this article specifically said "It is part of an unmistakable trend: The hottest summers in Europe in the last 500 years have all come in the last 17 years." Those are numbers. And they have no real basis. We have no idea how hot it was in Paris in 1519, other than, maybe, well, "pretty hot", or, "mild", or something.
    Just because your cat can't argue back doesnt mean you should come here with MAGA-chud levels of obtuseness.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    So, everything the science community knows about how elements and laws of physics behave under different temperature scenarios tells us that recent climate is doing things to those elements beyond what the most extreme heats of the past did to those elements. And dating samples tells us when those past extremes occurred. We can infer past extreme temps based on preserved samples of those elements. Are we fishing for another explanation? Or, are we just trying to poison the well with whatabboutism?
    Give up the straw man dude, that’s not what he’s talking about ferchristsakes.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Give up the straw man dude, that’s not what he’s talking about ferchristsakes.
    Yes it is. Bunny doesn't understand the science behind ice core sampling so he doesn't believe it because it doesn't rely on what he understands, thermometers. A couple people send him reading material explaining ice core sampling, Bunny still needs human attention, Bunny continues to argue.