Page 125 of 126 FirstFirst ... 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 LastLast
Results 3,101 to 3,125 of 3148
  1. #3101
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Access to Granlibakken
    Posts
    7,326
    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    It's what we do/did with cigarettes, booze
    There’s already a consumption tax per gallon of dino fuel. How’s that different than taxing cigarettes per pack?

  2. #3102
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Missoula, MT
    Posts
    20,435
    No, that's a road tax, and depending on your state there may be some kind of sales tax.
    Clearly it's not enough to keep people from commuting 1 per shitbox. Hey, those things have lots of room for your cowboy hat!

    Guy just now at the grocery store with a hat that said "hunting is conservation" got a plastic bag for his 3 things. Is the concept of irony not something that can be taught?
    No longer stuck.

    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

  3. #3103
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    12,830
    You are so fucking smug and woke. Excellent combination.
    Ooof!

  4. #3104
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Missoula, MT
    Posts
    20,435
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    You are so fucking smug and woke. Excellent combination.
    This is not a radical concept.
    I'm probably a little left of a Torry.
    No longer stuck.

    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

  5. #3105
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Missoula, MT
    Posts
    20,435
    And it reads like you all have your identity wrapped up in your vehicle. Thank you for proving my point.
    No longer stuck.

    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

  6. #3106
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Missoula, MT
    Posts
    20,435
    I should emphasize again that this tax should not be paid be those who legit need a large vehicle for work.
    Most people don't actually NEED a poorly handling, simply made, more dangerous for everyone else around you large vehicle for just driving around. And since no red blooded America would ever carpool or take mass transit or *gasp* walk, it's really quite a waist (waste?). Most people I see in large vehicles are by themselves in there too. Just an extra fuck you to everyone and everything. The ultimate Randian American expression of freedom. And as soon as the consequences of being a wasteful fuck are made clear? Well, especially the people who tell you that you have to take responsibility and face consequences, deny there's a problem or that there's anything anyone can do about it. Now that's fucking smug.
    No longer stuck.

    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

  7. #3107
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    25,945
    Someone should probably take a six month break from posting stupid shit.
    StokePimpin' ain't easy

  8. #3108
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Missoula, MT
    Posts
    20,435
    Waaaaaaaah
    25mpg is such a low standard too.
    Your level of butthurt only continues to prove my point.
    No longer stuck.

    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

  9. #3109
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    25,945
    Haha, the fact that you interpreted that as butthurt is amusing.
    Take a lap
    StokePimpin' ain't easy

  10. #3110
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Missoula, MT
    Posts
    20,435
    And you're all seemingly unaware that the American auto industry is making pretty much the same mistakes it made that almost killed it.
    No longer stuck.

    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

  11. #3111
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Missoula, MT
    Posts
    20,435
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I like to pretend to care about the environment, but has soon as someone suggests we should get less shitty gas mileage as a nation, that is just too much for me and my litter of children.
    ...
    No longer stuck.

    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

  12. #3112
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    25,945
    Wtf are you on about?
    We should have 100 mpg by now.
    You off your meds?
    StokePimpin' ain't easy

  13. #3113
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Loveland, Chair 9.
    Posts
    4,232
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Wtf are you on about?
    We should have 100 mpg by now.
    You off your meds?
    um, that's not going to happen.

    the ford f150 and toyota corolla are two models that have been made for around 25 years or more now, but even thru that much time of improvements in engine efficiency, material efficiency, model design and regulations; those models mpg has changed little because you can only increase efficiency of any vehicle so much.

    now, world govts could mandate that every can driven is a prius or a prius truck and phase out everything else or make them illegal to be driven on public roads; but until you do that; 50 mpg or 100 mpg isn't going to happen.

    (I left out any discussion of how the fuel efficient prius is powered by the supposed worst CO2 offender coal in most places but you want to move this thread to polyass; i'll go on)
    Eat em up Houston Cougars !

  14. #3114
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Posts
    11,587
    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    I should emphasize again that this tax should not be paid be those who legit need a large vehicle for work.
    Most people don't actually NEED a poorly handling, simply made, more dangerous for everyone else around you large vehicle for just driving around. And since no red blooded America would ever carpool or take mass transit or *gasp* walk, it's really quite a waist (waste?). Most people I see in large vehicles are by themselves in there too. Just an extra fuck you to everyone and everything. The ultimate Randian American expression of freedom. And as soon as the consequences of being a wasteful fuck are made clear? Well, especially the people who tell you that you have to take responsibility and face consequences, deny there's a problem or that there's anything anyone can do about it. Now that's fucking smug.
    so you walk or bike EVERYWHERE? What type of car do you have? Just wondering.
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com

    I wish i could be like SkiFishBum

  15. #3115
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Missoula, MT
    Posts
    20,435
    Old Subaru. It could get better gas mileage.
    And yes, I live near downtown and frequently walk or bike, but that's also luck in geography. But also on purpose. I mean, I could have gotten some shitty apartment up in the South Hills, but I didn't.
    I usually take my backpack to the grocery store, or at least get paper bags I can recycle with the rest of the cardboard. I also live right next to the grocery store lol.
    When I get a new car, it will be something rated for at least 25mpg highway if only for the cost savings. Also, I like how smaller vehicles don't usually flip over if you get turned sideways on ice or swerve because of wild animals.
    Pickups and SUV's probably would get 25mpg by now, but they were exempted from fleet mileage standards. I think pickups and large SUV's are also still cheaper to produce than cars.
    No longer stuck.

    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

  16. #3116
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Posts
    11,587
    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Old Subaru. It could get better gas mileage.
    And yes, I live near downtown and frequently walk or bike, but that's also luck in geography. But also on purpose. I mean, I could have gotten some shitty apartment up in the South Hills, but I didn't.
    Thats part of the problem IMHO. Not everyone lives in walk/bike friendly places, and those places that are friendly tend to be spendy too. double edged sword.

    I have been considering a more commuter friendly car, but my commute is 20min. I get about 17mpg.
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com

    I wish i could be like SkiFishBum

  17. #3117
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Missoula, MT
    Posts
    20,435
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Thats part of the problem IMHO. Not everyone lives in walk/bike friendly places, and those places that are friendly tend to be spendy too. double edged sword.

    I have been considering a more commuter friendly car, but my commute is 20min. I get about 17mpg.
    Not living where it's walk or bike friendly is all the more reason to have a more fuel efficient vehicle.
    No longer stuck.

    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

  18. #3118
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    land of the free
    Posts
    8,809
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Thats part of the problem IMHO. Not everyone lives in walk/bike friendly places, and those places that are friendly tend to be spendy too. double edged sword.

    I have been considering a more commuter friendly car, but my commute is 20min. I get about 17mpg.
    You could crush it with a VW TDI diesel
    Had three over the years. 30ish around town and mid 40s hwy
    But our leaders decided to kill diesel to force us all electric.
    The Jetta was kinda small but I liked he Passat. Wish they had Passat wagon in USA

    FYI the diesels are now being resold and a great buy. My dealer called me to buy back one of mine. Still had the company lettering after three years
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.”
    Hunter S. Thompson

  19. #3119
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Posts
    11,587
    Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    You could crush it with a VW TDI diesel
    Had three over the years. 30ish around town and mid 40s hwy
    But our leaders decided to kill diesel to force us all electric.
    The Jetta was kinda small but I liked he Passat. Wish they had Passat wagon in USA

    FYI the diesels are now being resold and a great buy. My dealer called me to buy back one of mine. Still had the company lettering after three years
    New vehicle is in the works, but hard to stomach a car payment when currently both cars are functioning fine and have life left.
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com

    I wish i could be like SkiFishBum

  20. #3120
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    12,830
    I drive a small PU for work. 17.5 to 22 mpg. I need the ability to haul some shit around to job sites.

    You want to tax me? Go ahead, it will just get passed on to my clients, they can afford it. But what does that accomplish?
    Ooof!

  21. #3121
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bozeman
    Posts
    1,256
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    I drive a small PU for work. 17.5 to 22 mpg. I need the ability to haul some shit around to job sites.

    You want to tax me? Go ahead, it will just get passed on to my clients, they can afford it. But what does that accomplish?
    Bingo. This is what's wrong with a carbon tax. It works great if you are choosing which gas to buy because one is taxed and one isn't. It doesn't work as well when all gas is taxed and your truck only runs on gas.

    The carbon tax would have to be pretty damn high to get you to make the capital investment in a new car that uses untaxed fuel.

    Plus, there have to be alternatives. You can't buy an EV pickup yet, and definitely not in MT where it is hard to even get any EV. Most EV's are only sold in the states that have laws requiring them.

    To get people into EV's we need to require manufacturers to make them, we need adequate charging infrastructure and we need to provide incentives to make them affordable even for people who don't want a new car now.

    Prices are coming down and EV's should cost the same as ICE cars within 5 years, but we still need charging infrastructure and incentives to get people driving them.

  22. #3122
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Missoula, MT
    Posts
    20,435
    Carbon taxes do seem a bit regressive the way they are applied.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    I drive a small PU for work. 17.5 to 22 mpg. I need the ability to haul some shit around to job sites.

    You want to tax me? Go ahead, it will just get passed on to my clients, they can afford it. But what does that accomplish?
    I literally said at least twice that it shouldn't cover work vehicles.
    No longer stuck.

    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

  23. #3123
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bozeman
    Posts
    1,256
    A carbon tax can be a very effective piece of the solution, but it's not the total solution. It addresses some emissions better than others.

    It also does not have to be regressive. At least one current bill before Congress would give rebates to every American so that most people would get back more than they paid. People with the biggest footprints - those who fly a lot and own multiple homes - would have to pay more than they get back.

  24. #3124
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Missoula, MT
    Posts
    20,435
    It doesn't HAVE to be, no. But making people pay more for plane tickets kinda is. It's public transportation!
    Not to mention that airlines and aircraft and aircraft engine manufacturers seem to have far more incentive towards fuel efficiency than auto manufacturers or buyers seem to.
    And yes, I'm aware there are also a lot of noise and pollution laws, but are there any related to efficiency? They already measure everything in cost per seat mile and I'm pretty sure a major part of that cost is fuel.
    Now, if you're flying private, different story.
    No longer stuck.

    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

  25. #3125
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    12,830
    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post

    I literally said at least twice that it shouldn't cover work vehicles.
    Sorry, I don't follow most of your postings, my bad.
    Ooof!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •