Page 57 of 95 FirstFirst ... 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,425 of 2357
  1. #1401
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    14,867
    I read in another TGR thread that the earth is flat, why caint we all just move to the shady side?

    I also think we need PG on this problem.
    watch out for snakes

  2. #1402
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The Cone of Uncertainty
    Posts
    46,998
    Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    I read in another TGR thread that the earth is flat, why caint we all just move to the shady side?
    We'd all fall off, duh.

  3. #1403
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    25,190
    StokePimpin' ain't easy

  4. #1404
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Missoula
    Posts
    1,332
    Yo ron, we all see through your bullshit so why don't you just fuck off already?

    I put him on ignore btw.

    Here's something fun about how the warming arctic is not a good situation despite any new shipping lanes that might open up

    http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2019...arctic-on-fire

    Phil is a friend of mine and posted some additional comments on twitter here

    https://twitter.com/PhilipHiguera/st...66256861941760

  5. #1405
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    396
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    If you look at the areas of expertise in the chart--78% of published climate scientists attribute GW to mostly human causes. And of your 48% deniers among all respondents, only 4% actually deny warming and 7% don't know if it's happening. 10% accept GW but attribute to both human and natural causes. 20% accept GW but don't think there's enough evidence to know the cause. Only 5% say it's happening but mostly natural.

    So once again you have grossly misrepresented the findings of the survey by cherry picking the data.

    As far as the great benefit of global warming and increased CO2 on food production--that doesn't account for drought, desertification, and flooding (look what happened in the Missouri-Mississippi basin this spring. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...tion=US%20News Even in the absence of drought what happens in places like California and Southern Europe when the winter snows those areas depend on for summer water turn to winter rains that cannot be captured?

    Meanwhile, here's an interesting tidbit: In June, the U.S. Energy Information Administration reported that, in April, renewable energy production had surpassed coal-fired power for the first time in history. https://www.newyorker.com/news/dispa...term=TNY_Daily
    I guess I should have known I would get accused of cherry picking. You know the phrase, "97% of scientists agree global warming is real and man made?" Notice how they say 'scientists,' not 'climate scientists'? So it's fair to say this study says that 52% of scientists agree that global warming is real and mostly man made.

    Anyway, have it your way. 78% of climate scientists believe climate change is happening and mostly caused by human. That's a far cry from 97%. Unfortunately none of these surveys ask the question of how dangerous global warming is.

    I'm beating a dead horse here, but how many times do I need to show you that there has been no increase in drought, flooding, and desertification? Did you not see the link in the post you quoted? The earth is greening.

  6. #1406
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bozeman
    Posts
    1,192
    The dead horse is climate change denial. Stop beating it. Every stat and figure you present is wrong and a lie. Saying it over and over again does not make it true.

  7. #1407
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    396
    Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Did 58 Scientific Papers Published in 2017 Say Global Warming is a Myth?



    Note the sponsors of the dispute claiming that it's not 97% it's more like 87% or whatever..



    Time to pick some cherries..
    Wow, you posted something that supports my position. From the Forbes article, we can say something like 80-90% of scientists agree that humans are causing global warming. Just about everyone on here would call me a denier and I support the position that humans are causing global warming. These surveys are missing the most important question which is, how dangerous is this warming?

    I don't know why you posted the Scientific American article about the Cook paper. I've already posted multiple times about it being garbage:

    https://www.theguardian.com/environm...global-warming
    "Most of the papers they studied are not about climate change and its causes, but many were taken as evidence nonetheless. Papers on carbon taxes naturally assume that carbon dioxide emissions cause global warming – but assumptions are not conclusions. Cook’s claim of an increasing consensus over time is entirely due to an increase of the number of irrelevant papers that Cook and co mistook for evidence."

    https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesta.../#3bfa119b485d
    "The question Cook and his alarmist colleagues surveyed was simply whether humans have caused some global warming. The question is meaningless regarding the global warming debate because most skeptics as well as most alarmists believe humans have caused some global warming. The issue of contention dividing alarmists and skeptics is whether humans are causing global warming of such negative severity as to constitute a crisis demanding concerted action. Either through idiocy, ignorance, or both, global warming alarmists and the liberal media have been reporting that the Cook study shows a 97 percent consensus that humans are causing a global warming crisis. However, that was clearly not the question surveyed."

    https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2.../#2d8a131e205a
    "My friend Will Happer believes that humans do affect the climate, particularly in cities where concrete and energy use cause what is called the “urban heat island effect.” So he would be included in the 97% who believe that humans affect climate, even though he is usually included among the more intense skeptics of the IPCC. He also feels that humans cause a small amount of global warming (he isn’t convinced it is as large as 1 degree), but he does not think it is heading towards a disaster; he has concluded that the increase in carbon dioxide is good for food production, and has helped mitigate global hunger. Yet he would be included in the 97%."

  8. #1408
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bozeman
    Posts
    1,192
    Quote Originally Posted by ron johnson View Post
    I guess I should have known I would get accused of cherry picking. You know the phrase, "97% of scientists agree global warming is real and man made?" Notice how they say 'scientists,' not 'climate scientists'? So it's fair to say this study says that 52% of scientists agree that global warming is real and mostly man made.

    Anyway, have it your way. 78% of climate scientists believe climate change is happening and mostly caused by human. That's a far cry from 97%. Unfortunately none of these surveys ask the question of how dangerous global warming is.

    I'm beating a dead horse here, but how many times do I need to show you that there has been no increase in drought, flooding, and desertification? Did you not see the link in the post you quoted? The earth is greening.
    A very small percentage of meteorologists are actually trained climate scientists. And the stats have changed quite a bit and even meteorologists are coming around.

  9. #1409
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    25,190
    Did you read what I posted earlier?

    And what is this, then?

    https://www.un.org/en/events/deserti...de/value.shtml

    You truly are like a flat-earther.
    You have a profound inability to not see the Big Picture.
    You are ‘Bogged Down In The Details’
    StokePimpin' ain't easy

  10. #1410
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bozeman
    Posts
    1,192
    September 5, 2019
    "The world’s vast oceans, glacial ice sheets and northern permafrost are poised to unleash disaster, including drought, floods, hunger and destruction, unless dramatic action is taken against human-caused carbon pollution and climate change, warns a leaked draft of a major U.N. report."

    The Special Report on the Ocean and Cryosphere in a Changing Climate (SROCC) sounds alarm bells over declines in fish stocks, plus “a hundred-fold or more increase in the damages caused by superstorms, and hundreds of millions of people displaced by rising seas,” according to news agency Agence France-Presse (AFP), which obtained a copy of the 900-page draft report.

    Freshwater supplies for billions of people, including the world’s mountain dwellers, will be hit by melting glaciers that will first release far too much water, and then not enough, according to the report by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), a scientific body of the U.N. mandated to report the state of climate change. Melting permafrost in northern regions will also release billions of tons of carbon, adding to global warming, reports AFP, citing the IPCC report.

    ...
    For the IPCC Special Report on the Ocean and Cryosphere in a Changing Climate (SROCC), more than 100 scientists from over 30 countries have been assessing the latest knowledge about the physical science basis and impacts of climate change on ocean, coastal, polar and mountain ecosystems, as well as the human communities that depend on them. Their vulnerabilities as well as adaptation capacities are also evaluated.

    https://truthout.org/articles/leaked...limate-change/

  11. #1411
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    3,870
    What blows me away about dueche's like rj is, anything we do to limit co2, will be less pollution, and less pollution is good, even if it costs more. So do we study this for another 20 years, then it's even harder to implement and more expensive. For a bunch of conservatives, they act like hypocrites

  12. #1412
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    16,592
    if only pollutants were like e-cigs!

  13. #1413
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,985
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...l-gas-drilling

    Trump opens entire 1.6 million acre protected Alaskan Arctic refuge to oil drillers

    Parts of BLM’s [Bureau of Land Management] final statement suggest – contrary to evidence – that the current rapid heating of the earth is cyclical rather than human-made.

    “Much attention in recent decades has focused on the potential climate change effects of GHGs [greenhouse gasses], especially carbon dioxide (CO2), which has been increasing in concentration in the global atmosphere since the end of the last ice age,” the document said.

    Global scientists, however, have concluded that human actions, including burning fossil fuels, are the primary driver of the 1C temperature increase observed since industrialization.
    Last edited by reckless toboggan; 09-12-2019 at 11:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

  14. #1414
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    10,827
    Quote Originally Posted by ron johnson View Post
    I guess I should have known I would get accused of cherry picking. You know the phrase, "97% of scientists agree global warming is real and man made?" Notice how they say 'scientists,' not 'climate scientists'? So it's fair to say this study says that 52% of scientists agree that global warming is real and mostly man made.

    Anyway, have it your way. 78% of climate scientists believe climate change is happening and mostly caused by human. That's a far cry from 97%. Unfortunately none of these surveys ask the question of how dangerous global warming is.

    I'm beating a dead horse here, but how many times do I need to show you that there has been no increase in drought, flooding, and desertification? Did you not see the link in the post you quoted? The earth is greening.
    I never said 97% of scientists. That's another rhetorical trick you like to use--the straw man.

  15. #1415
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Bull City
    Posts
    4,334
    Quote Originally Posted by ron johnson View Post
    Wow, you posted something that supports my position. From the Forbes article, PAID FOR BY A MASSIVE ENERGY COMPANY CONGLOMERATE we can say something like 80-90% of scientists agree that humans are causing global warming.
    Fixed it for you troll The point of posting it was to bold the sponsor of the material. I guess you AI bots haven't figured out bold font yet..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

  16. #1416
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,253
    Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...l-gas-drilling

    Trump opens entire 1.6 million acre protected Alaskan Arctic refuge to oil drillers



    This seems to be the new strategy: instead of directly denying the facts, they simply change the conclusions. This moves the "argument" (!!) into much more subjective territory, where less discriminating minds are much more easily fooled.

  17. #1417
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    396
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Did you read what I posted earlier?

    And what is this, then?

    https://www.un.org/en/events/deserti...de/value.shtml

    You truly are like a flat-earther.
    You have a profound inability to not see the Big Picture.
    You are ‘Bogged Down In The Details’
    What post are you referencing from earlier?

    The land degradation stats have virtually nothing to do with global warming. It is largely the result of agricultural practices: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_degradation

    I view land degradation/top soil loss as a massive overlooked threat to human civilization. I'm a big proponent of regenerative agriculture. Imagine that, a climate denier who is into regenerative agriculture.

  18. #1418
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    396
    Quote Originally Posted by WMD View Post
    A very small percentage of meteorologists are actually trained climate scientists. And the stats have changed quite a bit and even meteorologists are coming around.
    So why do you keep championing the Cook study from 2013, which doesn't claim that 97% of climate scientists agree that humans are causing global warming, but that 97% of scientists agree that humans are causing global warming?
    Last edited by ron johnson; 09-13-2019 at 11:40 AM.

  19. #1419
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    10,827
    Quote Originally Posted by ron johnson View Post
    So why do you keep championing the Cook study from 2013, which doesn't doesn't claim that 97% of climate scientists agree that humans are causing global warming, but that 97% of scientists agree that humans are causing global warming?
    There you go again, arguing a point that is completely irrelevant to the larger issue to divert attention from it.

    To paraphrase an old legal saying--when you have the facts argue the facts, when the facts are against you argue something else.

  20. #1420
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    396
    Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    What blows me away about dueche's like rj is, anything we do to limit co2, will be less pollution, and less pollution is good, even if it costs more. So do we study this for another 20 years, then it's even harder to implement and more expensive. For a bunch of conservatives, they act like hypocrites
    I'm all for less pollution, but it's not as simple as you make it sound. Significantly increasing the price of energy will have a profound impact on society. Proponents of 100% non carbon renewable plans seem to have no understanding of economics. Increased energy prices will lead to more poverty, wealth inequality, civil unrest, etc. Look at France's yellow vests movement. It's motivated by rising fuel prices and a high cost of living, and those prices are nothing compared to what will happen under GND type plans. I think these government mandated energy plans are very dangerous for a county already crippled in debt.

    If you, your family, or your friends are unemployed and struggling to feed themselves the last thing you are going to care about is pollution and CO2 levels.

  21. #1421
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    3,870
    what if we all quit posting, would rj go on like ggs does, talking to himself, or will the "challenge" be gone and he'll stop?

  22. #1422
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    396
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I never said 97% of scientists. That's another rhetorical trick you like to use--the straw man.
    I never said you said 97% of scientists.

    This is the slogan you hear everywhere: "97% of scientists agree that climate change is real, man made, and dangerous." The only point I have been trying to make is that this statement isn't anywhere close to true.

  23. #1423
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    396
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    There you go again, arguing a point that is completely irrelevant to the larger issue to divert attention from it.

    To paraphrase an old legal saying--when you have the facts argue the facts, when the facts are against you argue something else.
    What exactly is the point you are trying to make?

    WMD is the one blathering on about the 97% consensus. I'm telling him it doesn't exist.

  24. #1424
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    25,190
    "what's the velocity of an unladen swallow?"
    StokePimpin' ain't easy

  25. #1425
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    396
    Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    what if we all quit posting, would rj go on like ggs does, talking to himself, or will the "challenge" be gone and he'll stop?
    I'll stop. I had no intention of ever getting this involved in the thread.

    Just don't post stupid false propaganda shit, or I might feel the need to post about it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •