Page 65 of 146 FirstFirst ... 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,625 of 3644
    2019: Rocks still smarter than ggstinx.

well that one came true.

Worst case scenario if we do nothing: terribly uninhabitable (for humans) planet.
    Worst case scenario if we act: slightly depressed economic growth with long term payback through efficiency

Choice is fucking easy morans

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    If we act & the developing world doesn't the worst case is very much in play. The demand here is essentially that the developing world sacrifice growth (read: prolong poverty for hundreds of millions) in order to achieve Co2 target developed by the West. It's a tricky situation.
    If we act and some percentage of that action is technological then the developing world benefits from technology transfer. It happens, is happening, all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    If we act & the developing world doesn't the worst case is very much in play. The demand here is essentially that the developing world sacrifice growth (read: prolong poverty for hundreds of millions) in order to achieve Co2 target developed by the West. It's a tricky situation.
    Deal with one step at a time. Developed world that has cash can't say shit until they change. At that point you can aid or have tariffs on non climate neutral countries that would offset. Sitting and whining about it just makes you an asshole.

There's really only one way to reduce pollution.
    But exterminating half the worlds population is a hard sell.

^^^ That will come to pass if nothing changes. Probably not in my lifetime but the course we (humans) are on has one final result.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

We can't let anymore people start living a 1st world lifestyle.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

A cursory look says the developing world gets a larger % of it's energy from renewables than the developed world.

https://sustainablebrands.com/read/c...newable-energy

https://www.enelgreenpower.com/stori...ainable-future

https://www.irena.org/newsroom/press...Power-Capacity

https://ourworldindata.org/renewable-energy

The solutions are not intractable.

Still, I'm tinkering with trying to make a "flu-bola" virus with the transmissibility of the Flu and the virulence of Ebola.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Oo, nice! The infectious disease solution

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Oo, nice! The infectious disease solution
    gotta go with what you know.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

X-post from another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    I could get up on my high horse and talk about the simple life I've lived and my very small carbon footprint but.......

We are all guilty and we are all fucked. I'm pretty sure the ski industry wouldn't function without capitalism and peoples drive to obtain wealth, the core of why humans keep hitting the gas as hard as they can towards societal collapse. At this point I'm fairly convinced it's our purpose to push the earth into it's next cycle and besides, we don't deserve to be here any longer anyways.

And those climate "protests" are bullshit too. We had a pretty good turn out one day here in Flagstaff, my daughter went with her school even but afterwards you could watch the majority of protesters get into their expensive cars and drive off. I don't think anyone is ready to make the sacrifices it would take to make an actual difference.

In the end, climate change is probably the best thing for the planet because what the Earth really needs is a massive die off to help clear it of it's human infestation.
    Provided no planet killers hit in the meanwhile, this rock will clean up pretty nice given a million years more or less.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post

Provided no planet killers hit in the meanwhile, this rock will clean up pretty nice given a million years more or less.
    I thought ra13 response was especially shitty, given the fact he has kids.

First and easiest thing to do is implement fuel mileage standards that have been put off for over 25 (35?) years

Yeah, I mean why even try? If that's truly your attitude, then at least get out of the way and stop voting/fighting it so others can spend their days trying to make a better world rather than wallowing in self-defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    I thought ra13 response was especially shitty, given the fact he has kids.

First and easiest thing to do is implement fuel mileage standards that have been put off for over 25 (35?) years
    Why not just bring the EV subsidies back or maybe double/triple them.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Yeah, I mean why even try? If that's truly your attitude, then at least get out of the way and stop voting/fighting it so others can spend their days trying to make a better world rather than wallowing in self-defeat.
    What else are these boomers going to do in their retirement than hold the world back from changing? Watch Seinfeld reruns? There are only so many episodes...

Greta scolding the world leaders was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    What else are these boomers going to do in their retirement than hold the world back from changing? Watch Seinfeld reruns? There are only so many episodes...
    Boomers were more Three’s Company than Seinfeld, that’s gen x
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    I could get up on my high horse and talk about the simple life I've lived and my very small carbon footprint but.......

We are all guilty and we are all fucked. I'm pretty sure the ski industry wouldn't function without capitalism and peoples drive to obtain wealth, the core of why humans keep hitting the gas as hard as they can towards societal collapse. At this point I'm fairly convinced it's our purpose to push the earth into it's next cycle and besides, we don't deserve to be here any longer anyways.

And those climate "protests" are bullshit too. We had a pretty good turn out one day here in Flagstaff, my daughter went with her school even but afterwards you could watch the majority of protesters get into their expensive cars and drive off. I don't think anyone is ready to make the sacrifices it would take to make an actual difference.

In the end, climate change is probably the best thing for the planet because what the Earth really needs is a massive die off to help clear it of it's human infestation.

Just imagine how much more totally fucked up our air, rivers, lakes, oceans, etc would be if everyone had been taking this attitude all along instead of making HUGE strides to clean shit up late 60s through the 1990s... Imagine if we just threw our hands in the air over leaded gas and can propellants??

People who say the planet is too big and complex to make better are either entitled little kids who weren't around in the early 70s to see how fucked up things were and how much progress we made to reverse many of those shitshows... Or, they're really entitled really rich folks who know they can just travel where and live however they want while the rest of humanity suffers the effects of this slow moving disaster..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    An inconvenient truth is that a great many pension funds are tied to very carbon intensive companies around the world. If those boomers are lucky enough to be on those massive pension plans (teachers, health care workers, govt, municipal, etc), they will be very protective of that income.
    Not being a denier, just acknowledging that the pain is going to be felt somewhere, and the stated solutions can not be downloaded on the poor and 3rd world suffering as they have traditionally born the burden of progress. And saying green tech will be the answer is not being well received by the managers of those massive funds. Shit like that going on in the Elon Musk thread for example.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    An inconvenient truth is that a great many pension funds are tied to very carbon intensive companies around the world. If those boomers are lucky enough to be on those massive pension plans (teachers, health care workers, govt, municipal, etc), they will be very protective of that income.
    Not being a denier, just acknowledging that the pain is going to be felt somewhere, and the stated solutions can not be downloaded on the poor and 3rd world suffering as they have traditionally born the burden of progress. And saying green tech will be the answer is not being well received by the managers of those massive funds. Shit like that going on in the Elon Musk thread for example.
    The automation and AI wave coming which ends the workforce economy altogether will have to result in Universal Basic Income for everyone.. or a bloodbath of global proportions. Either will resolve that dilemma about investment security being an obstacle..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    The automation and AI wave coming which ends the workforce economy altogether will have to result in Universal Basic Income for everyone.. or a bloodbath of global proportions. Either will resolve that dilemma about investment security being an obstacle..
    Will this occur within the next 20-30 yrs? Cause if not, that’s my pension you are talking about. Most boomers will be dead by then.
    Just so I am not painting myself too harshly, I have been active in my pension fund investment direction when the opportunity exists to contribute, but I could and should do more in that regard. Most pensioners I know do nothing with respect to how their cheque gets delivered, unless it doesn’t.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Will this occur within the next 20-30 yrs? Cause if not, that’s my pension you are talking about. Most boomers will be dead by then.
    Just so I am not painting myself too harshly, I have been active in my pension fund investment direction when the opportunity exists to contribute, but I could and should do more in that regard. Most pensioners I know do nothing with respect to how their cheque gets delivered, unless it doesn’t.
    Yes. Compute infrastructure is already there, costs are relatively reasonable, it's just about lining up good data, which will get easier as you realistically only need 2-3 companies in a vertical (or 1 amazing one) to totally break the market.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post

People who say the planet is too big and complex to make better [w]eren't around in the early 70s to see how fucked up things were
    Funny, just yesterday I was thinking about how bad car exhaust was in the late 60s/70s. I remember sitting in the car with my mom at the intersection of 130th & Aurora waiting for the light to change and looking at the massive amount of exhaust coming out of all the idling cars burning leaded gas. It used to billow out in thick clouds and just hang in the air.

I also remember Lake Washington smelling like a wet dog from all the sewage dumped into it.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Funny, just yesterday I was thinking about how bad car exhaust was in the late 60s/70s. I remember sitting in the car with my mom at the intersection of 130th & Aurora waiting for the light to change and looking at the massive amount of exhaust coming out of all the idling cars burning leaded gas. It used to billow out in thick clouds and just hang in the air.

I also remember Lake Washington smelling like a wet dog from all the sewage dumped into it.
    130th and Aurora... was.right on the way to PayNPak. Oops wrong thread.

I think that was oil. FWIG while leaded gas polluted a shit load more it does not cause visible particles aka smoke/clouds.