Page 61 of 146 FirstFirst ... 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,525 of 3644
    ^ or an unemployed Alberta Tar-Sands veteran....
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by Svengali View Post
    ^ or an unemployed Alberta Tar-Sands veteran....
    Please don't besmirch the service and honour of our actual Veterans by bestowing the term "veteran" on coke addled, tar digger, assholes that only know greed.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    besmirch
    Great word. 37 points

Please don't besmirch the service and honour of our actual Veterans by bestowing the term "veteran" on coke addled, tar digger, assholes that only know greed.
    I thought by "Tar Sands veteran" he meant veteran of that industry, not military conflict service..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Ok, this global warming shit is getting out of hand...

"With increasing specificity and speed, scientists have been able to tell us how much worse climate change made an extreme weather event. "

With increasing specificity and speed, scientists have been able to tell us how climate change intensified an extreme weather event. Now we can learn the effects almost in real-time. For instance, within weeks of the extreme heat wave in Europe this summer or the flooding from Hurricane Harvey in Houston in 2017, researchers published working papers explaining how much worse they were made by climate change. (Europe’s heat wave was 10 times more likely because of warming, and in Houston there was 38 percent more rainfall.) Still another paper analyzed how climate change fueled California’s 2012-2014 drought (up to 27 percent worse). Yet another focus of research looks at how much, say, Exxon’s historic pollution is responsible for today’s climate impacts—another area of attribution science called source attribution.
    https://www.motherjones.com/politics...back-on-trial/
    Last edited by WMD; 09-16-2019 at 12:28 PM.

This week an entire issue of Time is dedicated to climate crisis. Forward by editor states no climate change skeptics will be part of the issue. Paraphrasing here but stated that human induced climate change is scientifically proven and needs to be addressed.

I'm excited to read it. Will the overpopulation and over consumption issue have a solution or will we give control to the machines?

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    You're using the usual ploy of claiming the data is invalid.

And then trying to say that's not what you're saying and then saying it again.
    If you want to say that I'm saying the data is invalid, then fine, I certainly am to a degree. I was coming from a more nuanced position since you seemed to be suggesting that I thought that the quality of the proxy record prevents any support for climate change theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Plus you keep citing anomalies as proof that trends don't exist but only when it supports your claims.
    Can you give some examples? I've already explained to you that I didn't bring up the Greenland ice gain as proof that trends don't exist.

Here's a thought... Unless Roland McDeny-old has something new instead of the same, totally debunked ad nauseum standard denier playbook circular logic.. folks should just stop rehashing the same tired old points over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by ron johnson View Post
    What's your point?
    I'm no expert. However, a casual look at climate reconstructions of the last million years show that high CO2 levels go with high temperatures. Temperatures that would be noticeable in widespread differences of species and ecosystem distributions. I.e. change will be very disruptive.

It's pretty promising if the climate sensitivity is closer to 1'C. If that is the case, there isn't much more warming that can be caused by CO2 alone. You would think these scientists would have a better grasp on the climate sensitivity of CO2 since this is all 'settled science.'
    What scientific body is saying this?

Some graphs in here to give you an idea: https://www.forbes.com/sites/warrenm.../#774004fd20e5
    Thanks, those are incredible. By incredible, I mean not credible. Some guy, not a scientist, not referencing the work of a scientist. In a "journal" of business? This is not science.

I agree it looks meaty, but without research, it's barely a spitball.

If you want to seriously critique CO2/AGW, get yourself a PhD in a related field *and* read/do the research.

If you want to usefully discuss the topic, at a minimum, gain an understanding of expertise in society, and the basic principles of science and scientists.

I'm not proposing any geoingeneering experiment. This is what our society has done, there is little that can be done about it at this point.
    Yes you are. Like the folks who promoted asbestos, leaded gas, CFCs (ozone hole), cigarettes, etc, you are proposing we ignore scientific evidence of trouble and do nothing. With what scientists have discovered about CO2, "do nothing" is definitely proposing a geoengineering experiment.

I'll drop this here for folks who want to read up on glacial ice balance.
    http://www.antarcticglaciers.org/gla...s-it-changing/
    Somewhere on that site I learned half the world's ice is tidewater glaciers. Since Ron likes cherries, I'll point him toward Columbia Glacier in Alaska to learn how quickly a tidewater glacier changes.
    10/01/2012 Site was upgraded to 300 baud.

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    - It makes a difference because your accusations of the researchers pushing an agenda are unfounded. Once again you default to impugning the scientific community. The paper itself focuses on the results and the results are what they are.
    Okay, the reviewers appear to be pushing an agenda then. They note the limitations of the data and question of how well they can compare global temperatures across this time period, yet they still provide conclusive quotes such as, "today’s climate stands apart in its torrid global synchrony."

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    --- You are wrong about the so called methodological issues. When comparing proxy data, today’s climate does stands apart in its torrid global synchrony. I've explained this several times already but you don't seem to understand that the instrument data on the charts is there for reference. The researchers are using proxies for current and past temperatures. It's a comparison across space and time of the proxy data.
    I stand corrected then if they aren't using instrumental records. It would be a lot easier if was public so I could actually read it.

But after looking more into the PAGES database I still have skepticism in the quality of the data used to come to their conclusions:
    https://climateaudit.org/2018/10/24/...-ring-proxies/
    https://climateaudit.org/2019/02/01/...rctic-proxies/
    https://climateaudit.org/2018/10/07/...ica-revisited/

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    The farmers in Middle America don't agree with you. Saying we have no consensus on how dangerous AGW is for society is like saying we have no consensus whatsoever on whether it's appropriate to strip immigrant children from their families and incarcerate them. Sure, some jackasses insist it's not a problem -- that doesn't mean it's not a problem.
    The farmers would be wrong then.

I'm not really buying the analogy. In any case, I bring up the lack of a consensus on how dangerous AGW is for society, because everyone has been brainwashed into believing there is a consensus.

I'm not really buying the analogy. In any case, I bring up the lack of a consensus on how dangerous AGW is for society, because everyone has been brainwashed into believing there is a consensus.
    The animals that will become victims of mass extinctions don't care about concensus.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    The logarithmic effect argument is as levels of CO2 concentrations increase each addition unit of CO2 has a smaller effect than the CO2 added before. The effect is still upward sloping but it's not linear. The slope of CO2 warming energy is steeper in the beginning but then it takes a proportionally larger amount of CO2 to achieve the same effect.

The problem is, or the big concern, is if the rest of world catches up with the developed world in CO2 output then that looks like exponential growth, which is sort of what we're seeing now. If that's the case then exponential growth is essentially a straight upward sloping line on a CO2 logarithmic chart.

Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    I'm no expert. However, a casual look at climate reconstructions of the last million years show that high CO2 levels go with high temperatures. Temperatures that would be noticeable in widespread differences of species and ecosystem distributions. I.e. change will be very disruptive.
    The thing you are missing from those graphs is that historically CO2 levels have always lagged temperature by 800-1,000 years. When you see graphs with hundred thousand year+ timescales it appears that CO2 levels and temperature are moving together at the same time, but they are not. CO2 is lagging behind temp by 800-1,000 years. There is no evidence of CO2 ever driving earth's temperature in the historical record.

Here is a graphic showing the estimated climate sensitivity of different papers along with the IPCC's range:
    Name:  ecs.png
Views: 245
Size:  90.0 KB
    Equilibrium climate sensitivity (ECS) estimates from new research beginning in 2011 (colored), compared with the assessed range given in the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Fifth Assessment Report (AR5) and the collection of climate models used in the IPCC AR5. The “likely” (greater than a 66% likelihood of occurrence) range in the IPCC Assessment is indicated by the gray bar. The arrows indicate the 5 to 95 percent confidence bounds for each estimate along with the best estimate (median of each probability density function; or the mean of multiple estimates; colored vertical line). Ring et al. (2012) present four estimates of the climate sensitivity and the red box encompasses those estimates. The right-hand side of the IPCC AR5 range is actually the 90% upper bound (the IPCC does not actually state the value for the upper 95 percent confidence bound of their estimate). Spencer and Braswell (2013) produce a single ECS value best-matched to ocean heat content observations and internal radiative forcing.

Thanks, those are incredible. By incredible, I mean not credible. Some guy, not a scientist, not referencing the work of a scientist. In a "journal" of business? This is not science.

I agree it looks meaty, but without research, it's barely a spitball.

If you want to seriously critique CO2/AGW, get yourself a PhD in a related field *and* read/do the research.

If you want to usefully discuss the topic, at a minimum, gain an understanding of expertise in society, and the basic principles of science and scientists.
    I thought you might appreciate things in more simple terms. Here is a paper on CO2's logarithmic forcing: https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley....2/2014JD022466

This isn't a controversial subject.

Yes you are. Like the folks who promoted asbestos, leaded gas, CFCs (ozone hole), cigarettes, etc, you are proposing we ignore scientific evidence of trouble and do nothing. With what scientists have discovered about CO2, "do nothing" is definitely proposing a geoengineering experiment.
    We don't have clear scientific evidence of trouble. The only thing we can be sure to cause society problems from global warming is rising sea levels. In any case, there isn't much that can be done about it with our current tech. Tech needs to reach a point where it makes economic sense for the entire world to adopt non carbon energy. Without that you will never get a significant reduction in CO2 emissions.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    I thought by "Tar Sands veteran" he meant veteran of that industry, not military conflict service..
    Maybe re-read what I typed when you're sober.

This too is a lie. One of Ron's goals is to throw so much bullshit out there that we don't argue every point.

There very definitely is consensus on how dangerous AGW is for society

From the 2018 National Climate Assessment :
    1. Communities
    Climate change creates new risks and exacerbates existing vulnerabilities in communities across the United States, presenting growing challenges to human health and safety, quality of life, and the rate of economic growth.

2. Economy
    Without substantial and sustained global mitigation and regional adaptation efforts, climate change is expected to cause growing losses to American infrastructure and property and impede the rate of economic growth over this century.

3. Interconnected Impacts
    Climate change affects the natural, built, and social systems we rely on individually and through their connections to one another. These interconnected systems are increasingly vulnerable to cascading impacts that are often difficult to predict, threatening essential services within and beyond the Nation’s borders.

4. Actions to Reduce Risks
    Communities, governments, and businesses are working to reduce risks from and costs associated with climate change by taking action to lower greenhouse gas emissions and implement adaptation strategies. While mitigation and adaptation efforts have expanded substantially in the last four years, they do not yet approach the scale considered necessary to avoid substantial damages to the economy, environment, and human health over the coming decades.

5. Water
    The quality and quantity of water available for use by people and ecosystems across the country are being affected by climate change, increasing risks and costs to agriculture, energy production, industry, recreation, and the environment.

6. Health
    Impacts from climate change on extreme weather and climate-related events, air quality, and the transmission of disease through insects and pests, food, and water increasingly threaten the health and well-being of the American people, particularly populations that are already vulnerable.

7. Indigenous Peoples
    Climate change increasingly threatens Indigenous communities’ livelihoods, economies, health, and cultural identities by disrupting interconnected social, physical, and ecological systems.

8. Ecosystems and Ecosystem Services
    Ecosystems and the benefits they provide to society are being altered by climate change, and these impacts are projected to continue. Without substantial and sustained reductions in global greenhouse gas emissions, transformative impacts on some ecosystems will occur; some coral reef and sea ice ecosystems are already experiencing such transformational changes.

9. Agriculture
    Rising temperatures, extreme heat, drought, wildfire on rangelands, and heavy downpours are expected to increasingly disrupt agricultural productivity in the United States. Expected increases in challenges to livestock health, declines in crop yields and quality, and changes in extreme events in the United States and abroad threaten rural livelihoods, sustainable food security, and price stability.

10. Infrastructure
    Our Nation’s aging and deteriorating infrastructure is further stressed by increases in heavy precipitation events, coastal flooding, heat, wildfires, and other extreme events, as well as changes to average precipitation and temperature. Without adaptation, climate change will continue to degrade infrastructure performance over the rest of the century, with the potential for cascading impacts that threaten our economy, national security, essential services, and health and well-being.

11. Oceans & Coasts
    Coastal communities and the ecosystems that support them are increasingly threatened by the impacts of climate change. Without significant reductions in global greenhouse gas emissions and regional adaptation measures, many coastal regions will be transformed by the latter part of this century, with impacts affecting other regions and sectors. Even in a future with lower greenhouse gas emissions, many communities are expected to suffer financial impacts as chronic high-tide flooding leads to higher costs and lower property values.

12. Tourism and Recreation
    Outdoor recreation, tourist economies, and quality of life are reliant on benefits provided by our natural environment that will be degraded by the impacts of climate change in many ways.
    https://nca2018.globalchange.gov

The only thing we can be sure to cause society problems from global warming is rising sea levels. In any case, there isn't much that can be done about it with our current tech. Tech needs to reach a point where it makes economic sense for the entire world to adopt non carbon energy. Without that you will never get a significant reduction in CO2 emissions.
    Our house is on fire and the fire department can only send fire trucks, not drone firefighters. Might as well not bother. Let it burn.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100-renewable-energy-139-countries.png 
Views:	26 
Size:	737.6 KB 
ID:	294243

"“Based on these results, I can more confidently state that there is no technical or economic barrier to transitioning the entire world to 100 percent clean renewable energy with a stable electric grid at low cost,” Jacobson said for his university press team at Stanford."

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/02/08...ewable-energy/

The thing you are missing from those graphs is that historically CO2 levels have always lagged temperature by 800-1,000 years. When you see graphs with hundred thousand year+ timescales it appears that CO2 levels and temperature are moving together at the same time, but they are not. CO2 is lagging behind temp by 800-1,000 years. There is no evidence of CO2 ever driving earth's temperature in the historical record.
    Saying, "there is no evidence of CO2 ever driving earth's temperature in the historical record" is disingenuous even for Ron.

- The fundamental theoretical physics, verified by extensive laboratory analysis, proves how CO2 and other greenhouse gasses absorb infrared heat at various temperatures and pressures.

-- WRT to the record, Earth’s ice ages are thought to be caused by the wobbling of the planet’s orbit changing its orientation to the sun and causing more or less sunlight to hit higher latitudes, especially the polar regions. Under the right conditions as the earth warms up more CO2 is released into the atmosphere which explains, in part, why CO2 sometimes appears to initially lag a warming trend even though CO2 drives most of the warming. The opposite happens, the planet cools, if atmospheric carbon dioxide is low enough and polar regions receive less sunlight.

What we've seen from past global temperature reconstructions is the warming and cooling is not uniform across time and space for the planet. Sometimes Antarctica begins warming or cooling for hundreds or even a thousand years before northern latitudes do the same, and vice versa.

--- Even if a person disagrees, or even disagrees with the studies themselves, the fact remains there is plenty of evidence demonstrating CO2 drove the earth's temperature in the historical record.

In the 2012 study linked below, for example, during the last deglaciation the earth started slowly warming due orbital change but then the vast majority of warming, something like 80-90%, occurred in response to CO2 increases.

https://www.nature.com/articles/nature10915
    Last edited by MultiVerse; 09-16-2019 at 11:15 PM.

When you sober up, maybe you'll realize that there has always been and always will be more than one type of veteran other than military. And, dollars for donuts many veterans of various professions are drug addicts and drunks. We can guess which ron is .

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    I wonder if RT will realize her very existence is thanks to petroleum. Same for almost everyone on this tread.
    I wonder if Bromontane will realize that just because you were raised with it doesn't mean you owe it anything, and shouldn't work to remove it from your current existence. See: cigarettes that cause lung and heart disease, and cancer; acid rain due to leaded fuel; ozone loss due to use of CFCs; hitting children due to your shitty example and parenting; conversion therapy; women not being able to vote; Nazis, racism, slavery; global warming and climate change, environmental destruction and pollution, and illnesses such as asthma due to the use of fossel fuels; etc, etc, etc.

...who am I kidding, Bromontane isn't smart enough to realize it.

You're delusional. Your quality of life is predicated on someone, somewhere owning slaves. You can own that or keep identifying as the only white person in North America who doesn't owe their quality of life to owning slaves.

Advocate for reform & innovation? Great. Act like you're better than slave owners? Gtfo you fraud.
    You just keep on fucking that old, dead chicken bro.

...who am I kidding, Bromontane isn't smart enough to realize it.

Oh look. I was right.

IMO, the only way humanity will survive the next few centuries without massive hardship is either a) wealth distribution raises the standard of living so that population slows and even reverses around the world, or b) a massive technological advancement allows us to continue fucking up our planet’s ecosystem with impunity. Both will require a massive expansion of current and future energy production in the developing world now, including fossil fuels, and an acceptance of a (slightly) lower standard of living of the wealthiest 10% of the population. Putting our faith in the politicians to fix any of this is a fools errand.

So, we are fucked. Especially us in the western world who have lived high on the hog for the past few generations. And we probably deserve it. Not that the developing world won’t suffer, but they have had far more practice at dealing with it.

I wish you all the best in the coming apocalypse. At least the trolls will go back beneath the surface where they belong.