Page 3 of 146 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Ugh.... day 6 of sweltering 100+ degree weather and the 10 day forecast shows more of the same. All the animals, including the birds that come to my feeders, are off their feed. I've been living on cereal, salads and fruit - too hot to bar-b-que let alone have the energy to cook something and clean up after a day of working outside in the heat (and unfortunately where I live there are no close restaurants or delivery).

We've blown all our heat/dryness/consecutive days of triple digits records out of the water and this is just the 1st day of July. I'm afraid to think what is in-store for the rest of the month let alone August.
    KQ - what's your water situation? That kind of heat makes for long days for you/horses, various animals. Brutal, sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by goldengatestinx View Post
    I
    Computer models are just that...'models'. How about simply reading thermometers and averaging things using real math?
    ...because computer models use fake math

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    So you've figured out a way to use a thermometer to measure future temperatures?
    A thermometer will work the same way tomorrow as it does today.

Those that want to believe a politically motivated computer model can pay their 'carbon taxes' (which in fact will not change anything but enhance big corporate profits and the politicians they pay off...Solyndra anyone?).

I'll keep living my life in the meantime.

9 F above average highs for June. Pretty crazy 3.1 F above the previous warmest record June in 1992.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    So you've figured out a way to use a thermometer to measure future temperatures?
    And prehistoric temperatures, apparently.

Those that want to believe a politically motivated computer model
    So Skynet is behind predictions of climate change? That dam computer is crafty, in addition to being politically motivated.

i dont think anyone relevant is arguing against man made climate change. The argument is weather or not its extreme warming, lukewarming or simply change. From what I gather the majority of data points to lukewarming although the doomsday scenarios grab the headlines.

Oh it was 90 at 10 yesterday here in EWA.

I have a GF in Woodinville who has AC - has had it for years, turns it on as soon as it is 70 degrees and runs it all day/night till September. Funny thing is, she's from Las Vegas by way of Norman, OK. You'd think she wouldn't need AC in WWA. Sometimes I think it is more of a mental thing for her, Summer=AC.
    Actually what I've noticed is that people who grew up in hot climates need AC way more. Cold inside hot outside was their life and what accustomed to. The only time your outside in the AZ summer is at night or the walk from your car AC to a building with AC. My wife is from Arizona and can't stand the Seattle heat right now, the window AC unit is needed for the bedroom but I just use fans and freeball in the living room.

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    i dont think anyone relevant is arguing against man made climate change. The argument is weather or not its extreme warming, lukewarming or simply change. From what I gather the majority of data points to lukewarming although the doomsday scenarios grab the headlines.
    punny

shit I wish-> Im just illiterate

So called "lukewarming" is not without trouble. We have an awful lot of capital invested in existing climate patterns and the weather that goes with them. I tend to believe that the more extreme predictions calling for 5 degrees of avergae temp increase, 10-20 feet of sea level rise, etc, are unlikely to pan out. But even two degrees of average temp increase is going to fuck with the global economy in a major way. What do you think a billion Africans will do when their already tenuous existence becomes downright impossible? Keeping it closer to home, the N. American ski industry is just fucked. What happens to S. Lake Tahoe, and all the other communities around the lake after a decade of really crappy winters convinces everyone to just abandon the condos they can't sell and don't want to pay the taxes on? Think California's central valley is hvaing it hard now, what's Fresno going to be like after a couple decades of drought have driven farmers, the ag support industry, and all the migrant workers farther east and north?

We tend to survive change, and we'll survive these changes, but the economic upheaval in N. America will be considerable, adn the human upheaval in other parts of the world will be major.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamespio View Post
    We tend to survive change
    Coming from a member of a species that's barely been around for 200k years, this ought to go in the other thread about 20 year olds dishing out life advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Cliff Mass, UW Prof of Atmospheric Sciences has a pretty nuanced take on climate change and alarmists.
    Here's one on the current water shortage headlines: http://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2015/0...formation.html

And on last years PNW weather and Global Warming: http://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2015/0...o-unusual.html .

Everybody charges off to some position on these topics, weather, god, taxes, etc. and no one seems to remember one of the greatest things about the nature of scientific thought and the enlightenment.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by PowderHorse View Post
    KQ - what's your water situation? That kind of heat makes for long days for you/horses, various animals. Brutal, sorry!
    River is running low but we got a small bump from a storm the other night - so far my fish filter has remained adequately covered so I continue to irrigate my pastures. No threats of cut-offs as of yet but we did have a voluntary stoppage to allow for the passage of fish.

Horses have been getting daily baths which they seem to appreciate very much. All pastures have run-in shelters and one horse that has to stay on a dry-lot (laminitis ) has a mister set up for him. Everyone is brought into the barn at night - stalls all have runs. Except for eating a little less they seem to be taking it in stride - better than me I'd say.

Barn cats are less than happy and spend most of the day laying on the cool wet concrete in the wash rack.

Those that want to believe a politically motivated computer model can pay their 'carbon taxes' (which in fact will not change anything but enhance big corporate profits and the politicians they pay off...Solyndra anyone?).
    You come across as someone who doesn't let facts and logic deter you from what you 'know', but maybe this will interest you: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...turns-a-profit

Still cooling off at night here in Bozeman, there is that.

Getting smoke from WA. this morning.

It has rained pretty good at least once a week through June.

But damn, 98 Degrees feels hot.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

We average about 3" in June and got over 13" this year. That's a lot of rain. Pretty much daily deluges with a couple breaks. There's just this stream of wet air from the gulf streaming across us via the jet stream and the shape of the ridge. Lots of energy in it, lots of high winds and lightning, quite a few tornado warnings. Very Venusian.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    We average about 3" in June and got over 13" this year. That's a lot of rain. Pretty much daily deluges with a couple breaks. There's just this stream of wet air from the gulf streaming across us via the jet stream and the shape of the ridge. Lots of energy in it, lots of high winds and lightning, quite a few tornado warnings. Very Venusian.
    We're you in the path of a rather nasty storm the night before last? Crazy stuff going on all over the continent.

I'll tell you what - it sure feels like this hot dry streak has been going on longer than a week and with no relief in sight I've found it's best to just settle in and not fight it. I mean, it has to end eventually, doesn't it?

[QUOTE=frorider;4514400]You come across as someone who doesn't let facts and logic deter you from what you 'know', but maybe this will interest you: [url]http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014

A litte interesting...yer leav it to a Bloomberg 'reporter' to whitewash that fact that

The failure of four companies has cost about $780 million. Solyndra burned through $528 million of a $535 million loan guarantee before filing a bankruptcy plan approved in October 2012. The California-based solar manufacturer went bust pursuing an alternate photovoltaic technology that became too expensive as panel prices plunged worldwide.

And the Solyndra execs has multimillion dollar bonus payouts before shuttering the factories. Additionally the environmental problems at their facilities is still not remediated, being paid for by taxpayers funds. Crony capitalism with Obammy's blessings.

this article is a good read:

http://www.psmag.com/nature-and-tech...r-without-snow

articles like this make me sad. It explains our current numbers and data points in such a well informed, logical and precise way.

so many areas are fucked....largest salmon spawn in history....not enough water in the rivers to sustain the rush.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

80% of my days off since last September have either rained or snowed (mostly rain or ice actually.) It's a fkn jungle in my area, the forest is so lush and the undergrowth is so dense it's almost tropical in feel.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post

We're you in the path of a rather nasty storm the night before last? Crazy stuff going on all over the continent.
    Yeah that was fun. Woke my ass up and I'm a heavy sleeper - so much lightning. We didn't have any trees go down in my neighborhood which is rather remarkable, but there was some pretty severe damage throughout the Metro area.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    80% of my days off since last September have either rained or snowed (mostly rain or ice actually.) It's a fkn jungle in my area, the forest is so lush and the undergrowth is so dense it's almost tropical in feel.
    Same here. We actually had to prune our hedge 2x so far because of the accelerated growth.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Cliff Mass, UW Prof of Atmospheric Sciences has a pretty nuanced take on climate change and alarmists.
    Here's one on the current water shortage headlines: http://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2015/0...formation.html

And on last years PNW weather and Global Warming: http://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2015/0...o-unusual.html .

Everybody charges off to some position on these topics, weather, god, taxes, etc. and no one seems to remember one of the greatest things about the nature of scientific thought and the enlightenment.
    And ironically the nyt (op ed) fires back against proff mass -
    Seattle on the Mediterranean http://nyti.ms/1dByrHQ
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Crickey, what was I trying to say? LOL!! Seriously tired from all this heat - can barely think straight by the end of the day.

I haven't read all the links you all have posted. I long ago stopped reading the proof/anti-proof stuff re: global warming/climate change. We can argue until we are blue in the face but eventually the earth will show us who is right and who is wrong and while it might might be a 50/50 proposition of nature vs. man-made I believe it cannot be good to pollute our planet with gasses the way we do, no good can come of it and that is where I stand.

An article from CNN this morning:

YOU'RE MAKING THIS ISLAND DISAPPEAR

It's one of the clearest injustices of climate change: The Marshall Islands likely won't exist if we warm the planet 2 degrees. I traveled to the remote Pacific to learn what it's like to try to process that doomsday forecast. And why some people already are making the painful decision to leave.

By John D. Sutter, CNN

Angie Hepisus heard her nephew, Mark, banging on the door and screaming in Marshallese.
    "It's flooding! It's flooding! Get out!"

Her thoughts went immediately to her family on this fragile coastline in the middle of the Pacific, a place under increasing threat from climate change.

One of her cousins woke up that morning last spring to find herself floating, her plywood home filling up like an aquarium. Another, who lives in a house where the roof is held down by evenly spaced rocks, was so bewildered by the rush of water that had invaded her house at 4 a.m. that she actually licked her arm to be sure that, yes, this was saltwater, and, no, she wasn't having a nightmare.

Then there was Jitiam, her wild-haired nephew, who was trying to tie his family's pigs to a tree trunk to prevent them from washing away. And Roselinta, who was sleeping with her 2-year-old son, Shiro, in a house that was being carried inland by the storm and the unusually high tide that accompanied it.

"My mind and my heart were pounding," Angie told me.
    "It's like: not again."
    She grabbed the Bible and all the family members she could.
    They waded out into the dark.

Out here in the middle of the Pacific, somewhere between Australia and Hawaii, there's a place where no one has the luxury of denying the existence of climate change. People here in the Marshall Islands are living it. Have been living it.

They've internalized the gravest of predictions -- that the Marshall Islands, this loose collection of no-elevation coral atolls, likely will be submerged beneath the waves as humans continue to warm the atmosphere and the oceans continue to rise. They've seen their homes flood frequently -- seen the tides getting higher, seen their lives threatened. Mojje Anungar watched the remains of his infant son, George, who died at 7 months, wash into the Pacific from a coastal graveyard.

Rest of article here

i dont read anything about climate change-> but here is a article!! lol.