Page 14 of 146 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    For example, here in Montana we used to never get rain in the winter. I remember in 2000 or 2001 and it rained in the mountains in the avalanche forecast guys said, "never thought we'd see this in Montana in the winter." Now it rains half a dozen times a year at least and nobody even notices it and it's never mentioned that this is climate change. Is any one particular rain event climate change? Who knows? But the pattern certainly is.

"Look, this is all part of god's plan and everything happens for a reason. He will looks over us"

^ that kind of thinking is cancerous and unfortunately a hudge chunk of the world thinks like this.

If we can get the heads of the world's religions to get on board and tell their sheeple we need to protect the planet we may have a chance. More so than politicians. How that's done???

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Harvest from the garden yesterday (not the walnuts duh). In Western New York.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-10-11 at 11.28.57 AM.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	595.4 KB 
ID:	250444

Quote Originally Posted by Slopetime View Post
    Yeah, but those other more mobile, prosperous, per capita states would fit in Delaware.
    Quote Originally Posted by WMD View Post
    For example, here in Montana we used to never get rain in the winter. I remember in 2000 or 2001 and it rained in the mountains in the avalanche forecast guys said, "never thought we'd see this in Montana in the winter." Now it rains half a dozen times a year at least and nobody even notices it and it's never mentioned that this is climate change. Is any one particular rain event climate change? Who knows? But the pattern certainly is.
    The wife and I were up in MT this past February. We were full time residents and skiers there 10-15 years ago. We heard everybody bitching about the fucking cold because highs were below 0. We bundled up and skied it because the snow was good and we remember MT being that cold all the time. Obviously, there's been some population turnover, but it is amazing how many people (even self-described outdoorsy people!) seem to forget what things were like just a decade earlier.

This communication, messaging, and advocacy problem has been a passion for Karin Kirk in Bozeman lately. If you're in BZN or ski at Bridger, you should look her up and shoot the shit on this topic during a hike out to Hidden. She has spent some time thinking about it and will point you in the right direction to try to help.

And in the 70s it snowed a shitload in the Bridgers. Never forget! Just what I heard from locals though back then.

Where are actual temp and snow stats over the years rather than anecdotes? I'm with you that it's not nearly as cold up there as the 90s, but that's just an anecdote too.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    "Look, this is all part of god's plan and everything happens for a reason. He will looks over us"

^ that kind of thinking is cancerous and unfortunately a hudge chunk of the world thinks like this.

If we can get the heads of the world's religions to get on board and tell their sheeple we need to protect the planet we may have a chance. More so than politicians. How that's done???

For the devoted, God controls the weather, period. The very notion that us lowly humans can influence the weather at all is heretical.

Quote Originally Posted by Slopetime View Post
    Yeah, but those other more mobile, prosperous, per capita states would fit in Delaware.
    Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    And in the 70s it snowed a shitload in the Bridgers. Never forget! Just what I heard from locals though back then.

Where are actual temp and snow stats over the years rather than anecdotes? I'm with you that it's not nearly as cold up there as the 90s, but that's just an anecdote too.
    The person I mentioned above could get a hold of Wx data from Bridger for as far back as it exists and is reliable. I'm sure the snow science program at MSU also knows where to get that kind of data set.

You can view a summary of the MT Climate Assessment here: http://montanaioe.org/sites/default/...er_final_1.pdf

HISTORICAL CLIMATE TRENDS
    From 1895 to the present, Montana’s average temperature has increased by 0.2° Fahrenheit every decade. This warming applies to most of Montana, except for the northeastern and north-central regions, which have had even larger temperature increases (0.3° Fahrenheit each decade). Over the span of 100+ years, this trend has led to average increases of 2° Fahrenheit across the state.

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-10-11 at 10.11.09 AM.png
Views: 285
Size:  430.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post

Sure looks to me like a warming trend.

Name:  41196-TAVG-Raw.png
Views: 278
Size:  103.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    For the devoted, God controls the weather, period. The very notion that us lowly humans can influence the weather at all is heretical.
    I taught tele skiing for a while at Bridger in the 90's and think I've met Karin. Thanks for the tip. I'll reach out to her.

I think it's actually far more a US religious viewpoint than a hudge chunk of the world.

For instance the Pope has spoke frequently on the right side of the subject.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

The Pope has already declared climate change is man made and it is our responsibility to do something about it (https://catholicclimatecovenant.org/encyclical). Many other denominations have too. It is just the very loud minority of evangelicals who don't buy that.

^^^And those same evangelicals follow what others call "the prosperity gospel" which has them believing God has brought them wealth , tax free wealth, to lead those sheeple back in time to the dark ages.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    ^^^And those same evangelicals
    Are against foreign aid and development assistance, are for low or no taxes, fewer regulations, gutting the EPA, drill baby drill, oil shale, clean coal.

Etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    Sure looks to me like a warming trend.

Name:  41196-TAVG-Raw.png
Views: 278
Size:  103.7 KB
    Yeah for sure, but definitely not as drastic as I thought until about 2012?, then seemingly drastic to this unscientific mind, only as the low points are not very low. Like if there was supposedly wild swings in weather thanks to climate change, the 80's match that. Taliking out of my butthole here, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Are against foreign aid and development assistance, are for low or no taxes, fewer regulations, gutting the EPA, drill baby drill, oil shale, clean coal.

Etc. etc.
    Well we've targeted one of the enemies. Let's exterminate.

Small pox on the pews of a few Texas mega churches? Blackmail Joel Osteen to preach that everyone should drive a Nissan Leaf?

Etc. etc.
    Yep back to the dark ages.. P.S.. home schooling, anti vaxers

The Pope has already declared climate change is man made and it is our responsibility to do something about it (https://catholicclimatecovenant.org/encyclical). Many other denominations have too. It is just the very loud minority of evangelicals who don't buy that.
    Yeah, mostly an evangelical thing.

It's also a symptom of the tribalism that has taken over American society. The liberal faggots are the ones who believe in climate change, and thus it must be dismissed out of hand.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Yep back to the dark ages..
    Church attendances were far hudger pre-enlightenment...

Blackmail Joel Osteen
    This should work, in theory. Dude's a greedy pharisee.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Yeah, carbon tax in isolation is regressive BUT the more recent proposals link a carbon tax with a rebate to low income and working class households. Under at least one plan, low income and working class households would receive a net gain. Alberta is currently doing a carbon tax + low income rebate for carbon-based fuels.

Why are so many of you quitting so easily on this extremely important issue?
    I'm not quitting. I'm merely acknowledging the reality of the tragedy of the commons and politics.

Let's train bears to hunt evangelicals.

Well we've targeted one of the enemies. Let's exterminate.

Small pox on the pews of a few Texas mega churches? Blackmail Joel Osteen to preach that everyone should drive a Nissan Leaf?

It also reeks of the idol worship anyone who truly follows scripture should be avoiding. Jesus didn't want to be worshiped as God, that's why he took the form of man to preach. Idol worship of religious figures, the military and law enforcement authority, and cough cough the flag are all things scripture alludes to as dangerous faith traps false prophets exploit.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    Yeah, carbon tax in isolation is regressive BUT the more recent proposals link a carbon tax with a rebate to low income and working class households. Under at least one plan, low income and working class households would receive a net gain. Alberta is currently doing a carbon tax + low income rebate for carbon-based fuels.

I'm not quitting. I'm merely acknowledging the reality of the tragedy of the commons and politics.
    I just hear so many people listing all the obstacles to action as if that is an excuse to not act. Yeah, the reality sucks. Climate change is already happening, and reality is we aren't going to keep it to 1.5C or even 2C. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't start immediately an make the issue a priority. 2C is way worse than 1.5, but 2.5 is worse than 2, and 3 is worse than 2.5 and so on. We've got to keep it as low as possible and then hope we can come up with carbon capture technology capable of lowering the temperature to 1.5 or even lower.

Giving up leads to a planet where half the land on earth is so hot that humans can't survive.

"Now if that happened, something like half the Earth’s currently inhabited land would become too hot to survive on; and when I say too hot to survive on I don’t mean it’s difficult to grow beans or air conditioning bills are inconveniently high, I mean if you go outside you die of hotness. I mean, places that were an average of 80ºF would be now an average of 170-180ºF, literally too hot for human beings to go outside and survive"
    David Roberts http://visibleorder.com/climate-chan...mple/#comments

Church attendances were far hudger pre-enlightenment...
    OTOH, pre-Enlightenment, Pope Francis could've ordered his Papal vassals to obliterate the apostates if they refused to heed his encyclical.

Say what you will in defense of our modern systematic of government, but I'd take the Pope over Donald Trump on this kind of issue - and pretty much any other, for that matter.