Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast
Results 551 to 575 of 602
  1. #551
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    5,690
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Congrats?
    Indeed. A congrats WOULD be appropriate in this case. This is how I've felt about the dog. We were having a discussion about our wishes if any of us were to pass away. She asked what would happen to her dog if she died, asking if we'd take him. I straight up said I would try and find it a home, but that I sure as hell wasn't taking it in long-term. Thankfully the problem took care of itself long before it ever became an issue. RIP little ankle biter. I can't stand small, yappy dogs as it is, but when they're aggressive too? I have zero tolerance for them... or their owners, who think their precious little babies are so wonderful. Doing the baby talk and everything. Ugh... The emotional support shtick just put me over the edge on this one, though. And I made it clear. Told her how uncool that was and how the sham is ruining it for legit service dogs and their human counterparts. It's downright selfish IMO.

  2. #552
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    28,839
    downright selfish indeed
    .

  3. #553
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bellevue
    Posts
    5,076
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    hm. Maybe I misrember? Did you post a pic? There was a pic of big yellow lab I think sitting in the seat. I coulda sworn it was Southwest but...
    Found it?Name:  Screenshot_20190618-100028.jpeg
Views: 346
Size:  61.7 KB

  4. #554
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Before
    Posts
    20,143
    yeah, that's it.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

  5. #555
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The Cone of Uncertainty
    Posts
    46,994
    yup. Is that in this thread?? haha Not sure why I thought it was Southwest but whatever.

  6. #556
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Posts
    5,129
    That one looks like a good boy.

  7. #557
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,222
    Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    That one looks like a good boy.
    Yeah. Very good boy. Didn’t make a peep the entire (very long) flight. Got to pet him during the layover in LAX. Very happy dude.

  8. #558
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Wasatch
    Posts
    715
    Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    My American Alsatian could pass a service dog test, my Malamute, that would be a train wreck, as good as she is for me she is a nervous Nelly.
    What exactly, is a “service dog test “?

  9. #559
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Queen City North Carolina
    Posts
    886
    Quote Originally Posted by jmedslc View Post
    What exactly, is a “service dog test “?
    you bring your dog to a day care center or nursing home. Release the hound during snack or lunch time. Lock the exits and If there are no deaths, your mutt passes.

  10. #560
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3,606
    They should have some sort of ID. I have seen gang-bangers bring pit bulls on the subway at rush hour when non-service dogs are not allowed. If anyone dares question them, they just claim it's a service/emotional support dog. I also see a blind lady for years who brings her seeing-eye dog, which is the type of thing the exception is meant for. The union transit employees don't seem to give a shit.







  11. #561
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    YetiMan
    Posts
    10,783
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveTV View Post
    The union transit employees don't seem to give a shit.
    Are you kidding me? What’s my incentive to fight that battle?

    If I refuse that guy:
    Best case: gangbanger with sketchy dog pissed at me. Now I have to look over my shoulder. (I’m in that mode now, having recently intervened with a bike theft at the bus station...and a guy carrying a knife who threatened us before he fled)
    Worst case: getting sued, losing my job, gangbanger finds out where I live and shoots my house up for “disrespecting” him.

    If I let the guy on the bus:
    Best case: nothing, life goes on
    Worst case: dog injures someone and I do paperwork documenting gangbanger claimed his dog is a service animal. Legally have to take his word. I’m fine, life goes on.

    What’s the union have to do with this incentive structure? I did a whole research project for my union local trying to codify how we could refuse fake service dogs....management fears the ADA lawsuit more than they fear injuries and inconveniences and societal consequences from incentivizing people to casually lie about being disabled. It’s not the labor, we’re pawns in this bullshit system.

  12. #562
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    10,825

  13. #563
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    11,866
    Quote Originally Posted by jmedslc View Post
    What exactly, is a “service dog test “?
    “A true service animal is a highly trained dog,” said Tammy Townley, a state representative in Oklahoma who supports her state’s new law. “When someone comes in with an emotional support animal, they are saying, ‘It’s my service animal.’ No — it’s something you bought a vest for.”
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

  14. #564
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    9,300ft
    Posts
    17,723
    Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    “A true service animal is a highly trained dog,” said Tammy Townley, a state representative in Oklahoma who supports her state’s new law. “When someone comes in with an emotional support animal, they are saying, ‘It’s my service animal.’ No — it’s something you bought a vest for.”
    Service animals typically receive 3-15 months of intense service specific training at a young age. This specialized training is all on top of "be a good puppy" and "be an extra obedient well socialized dog" type training that the very best behaved pets get. So yea, your beloved pet dog might be a good boy, but he is not going pass any service animal trainers test.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

  15. #565
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3,606
    ^^ I agree - saying 'union' was redundant and not necessary. On the subways, there are "Customer Service" employees stationed around the entry turnstiles, and Transit Police as well occasionally. If there was service Animal ID's and clear policy there would not be a problem. Bicycles are also prohibited on the subway 7 – 10 AM and 4 – 7 PM, I always see nitwits board jammed trains around 5pm, no one stopped them from entering the system.







  16. #566
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3,606
    Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Are you kidding me? What’s my incentive to fight that battle?

    If I refuse that guy:
    Best case: gangbanger with sketchy dog pissed at me. Now I have to look over my shoulder. (I’m in that mode now, having recently intervened with a bike theft at the bus station...and a guy carrying a knife who threatened us before he fled)
    Worst case: getting sued, losing my job, gangbanger finds out where I live and shoots my house up for “disrespecting” him.

    If I let the guy on the bus:
    Best case: nothing, life goes on
    Worst case: dog injures someone and I do paperwork documenting gangbanger claimed his dog is a service animal. Legally have to take his word. I’m fine, life goes on.

    What’s the union have to do with this incentive structure? I did a whole research project for my union local trying to codify how we could refuse fake service dogs....management fears the ADA lawsuit more than they fear injuries and inconveniences and societal consequences from incentivizing people to casually lie about being disabled. It’s not the labor, we’re pawns in this bullshit system.
    ^^ I agree - saying 'union' was redundant and not necessary. On the subways, there are "Customer Service" employees stationed around the entry turnstiles, and Transit Police as well occasionally. If there was service Animal ID's and clear policy there would not be a problem. Bicycles are also prohibited on the subway 7 – 10 AM and 4 – 7 PM, I always see nitwits board jammed trains with bicycles around 5pm, no one stopped them from entering the system.







  17. #567
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    YetiMan
    Posts
    10,783
    The immediate benefit of “me attempting to navigate a trouble-free day” competes very poorly with “making hard choices and sacrifices for the greater good of society” in 2019 USA. It’s not even a fair fight anymore.

    I knew we (usa, society, whatever) were fucked when pro wrestling fans started cheering for the characters they were supposed to hate.
    Last edited by ill-advised strategy; 06-21-2019 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Typos

  18. #568
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3,606
    Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    I knew we (usa, society, whatever) were fucked when pro wrestling fans started cheering for the characters they were supposed to hate.
    Guess who's doing Cumby's commercials








  19. #569
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,521
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Hey, if it makes everyone here feel a little bit better, my MIL's yappy fake "service dog" (mentioned way earlier in this thread) just kicked the bucket. Good riddance. Always hated that little punk. "Emotional support" dog my ass. Not to sound coldhearted or anything (although I totally am in this case), but she and that dog stood for everything that we all hate with this topic. If that dog was bigger, it would've definitely torn somebody up, all while wearing it's little red jacket.
    There is something deeply wrong with you. I don't really care about this topic, but you are a pathetic excuse for a man if you wish a dog dead. Man is probably not the correct term in this case.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."


    "You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

    "I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

  20. #570
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    5,690
    Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    There is something deeply wrong with you. I don't really care about this topic, but you are a pathetic excuse for a man if you wish a dog dead. Man is probably not the correct term in this case.
    Woh, woh, woh. Pump the breaks little buddy. When did I ever say that I "wished" the dog dead? Sorry guy, but not ALL dogs are as rad as many of the ones mags around here have. Some dogs are just assholes. Some have seriously screwed up wiring. Not much different than people. Did I WISH for the dog to die? Of course not, buuuuuuut maybe, just maybe, the world's also a better place without it. Just sayin'... No need to get your panties in such a twist about it.

  21. #571
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    11,866
    I love dogs, but would never own a little yapper, as I find very little to like in most of them. The few times a dog was crazy enough to attack my two, it is typically a little yapper that I punted back, so it didn't become a chew toy for my guys. LDD, lighten up buddy. If a dog is a POS, it doesn't automatically get a pass and it's owner deserves a kick to the nutz.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

  22. #572
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Posts
    5,129
    Let us know when the MIL kicks & we'll start a celebration (of life) thread.

    The whole flying w pupper in cargo thing freaks me out. I know it's rare but how sickening would it be to go to baggage claim & find an attendant shrugging about your deceased family member.

  23. #573
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    livin the dream
    Posts
    3,501
    Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    The whole flying w pupper in cargo thing freaks me out. I know it's rare but how sickening would it be to go to baggage claim & find an attendant shrugging about your deceased family member.
    The pupper in the cargo is treated completely differently from other luggage from what I’ve seen. You drop off the pup at a different location and have an opportunity to say goodbye. They transport the kennel carefully; ie not in the same tug train with all the luggage... They load the kennels last, and the flight attendant comes to your seat and tells you that your pup is onboard and safe. They unload the kennels first and you pick the pupper up at a different location than checked baggage.



    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

  24. #574
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Posts
    10,767
    after multiple tours in the service of the human denizens of the country in a as real as it gits manner
    im good with
    mazzie and blinx and human handlers gettin to go where they want
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -
    ski on in eternal peace

  25. #575
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    10,825
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    after multiple tours in the service of the human denizens of the country in a as real as it gits manner
    im good with
    mazzie and blinx and human handlers gettin to go where they want
    I agree with you, but I'm surprised that dogs that I assume are very well trained need choke collars. Maybe someone can explain.
    I'm sure dogs can get PTSD too--those dogs need their emotional support humans.

    I wonder how long it will take for someone to start selling fake war dog vests, or maybe someone does already. Don't be surprised if you see a miniature poodle wearing one.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •