Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Fake Service Dogs......

Is this really a thing? I have been seeing more and more "non-service" breeds with cheesy vests and badges on.

These owners are going to ruin the public access status quo for the people who truly need a service dog.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

How? The federal ADA laws are pretty clear. I don't think it is even legal to ask or check to make sure they are legit.

Sent from my SM-N900V using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Is this really a thing? I have been seeing more and more "non-service" breeds with cheesy vests and badges on.

These owners are going to ruin the public access status quo for the people who truly need a service dog.
    Yes and it's a big problem for ligit service dogs and those who rely upon them

On the Consequences of Fake and Undertrained Service Dogs

Aren't a lot of these dogs simply companions for people diagnosed with various mental issues? I saw a Service Yorkie the other day ferchissakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Aren't a lot of these dogs simply companions for people diagnosed with various mental issues? I saw a Service Yorkie the other day ferchissakes.
    Evidently it is quite easy to go online and get fake papers and vests for dogs.

How are they going to ruin public access for the legit dogs? Because public access requires a consenting public. Dogs in public places (from which they are normally restricted) are an inconvenience to others but one that most people are willing to put up with because the benefit is clearly understood. It's like handicapped parking spaces. I don't even notice them as I drive to the back of the Costco parking lot but if it came out that 90% of the people using those spaces were completely able bodied I might start resenting the entitlement of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    Hey Phill, why don't you post your tax returns, here on TGR, asshole. And your birth certificate.

Hippies (not all hippies) and some lowlifes have been taking advantage of this for some time.

My wife and I were lamenting how difficult/expensive it is to fly with a larger breed dog and an aquantance assured us it was easy to get a service dog exception. She has tgem for her poorly trained dogs. Which is bullshit because service animals are a wonderful resource.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post

charming.

edit: I'm pretty sure that the person who wrote that bullshit card learned to write at the same school as the wife of the former president of Namibia. The same one who is in the process of wiring me $5000000000.
    Last edited by Phill; 06-27-2015 at 04:27 PM.
    Hey Phill, why don't you post your tax returns, here on TGR, asshole. And your birth certificate.

yeah the definition is pretty broad. I know a few people with anxiety that have one. just a note from the prescribing doc. it doesn't affect my quality of life at all.

Great and very funny article from the New Yorker on this topic: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...0/pets-allowed

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Great and very funny article from the New Yorker on this topic: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...0/pets-allowed
    I love the New Yorker

At Olana, a New York State Historic Site, showcasing the nineteenth-century home of the painter Frederic Edwin Church, Sorpresa and I were stopped at the visitors’ center by an apologetic tour guide. A higher-up named Paul was summoned, and kindly broke it to me that animals were not permitted.

“It’s a museum and a historic home,” he said. “There are thousands of distinct objects in there that are over a hundred and twenty years old. I’m sorry, but we just have never been able to take that risk.”

While the alpaca stood, perfectly behaved, in the gift shop among hand-painted porcelain tiles, glass vases, and antique lanterns, and I fielded questions from shoppers (“Are you allergic to dogs?”), Paul consulted the site manager in charge of Olana. They called their boss in Albany to ask for guidance.

When you hear that the livestock in your custody has been granted permission to clomp through the premises of a national treasure that houses hundreds of priceless antiques, you do not feel unequivocal joy—particularly when the beast has been known to kick backward if a threat from the rear is perceived. Don’t ask me anything about Frederic Church’s home. Could you really expect me to concentrate on the art when all I kept thinking was: “Didn’t the owners say that when the alpaca’s tail is held aloft it means she has to go to the bathroom?” By the time we reached Church’s entertainment room, Sorpresa was intently humming a distress signal.

“She needs lunch,” I mumbled, and we made a hasty retreat. When I returned the alpaca to her owner and told him about our visit to Olana, he said,“I’m not sure whether it reaffirms my faith in humanity or destroys it.”
    I have no such confusion.

^That was hilarious. Thanks, I lmao'ed. This:
    On (the turtle's) inaugural visit to Manhattan, Turtle and I also made stops at Christian Louboutin, where she cozied up to a glittery $6,395 stiletto, and I, trying to snap a photo, was told, “Turtles are allowed, but no photography”; E.A.T., the high-end delicatessen, where I had a bowl of borscht and the turtle hydrated from, and also in, a dish of water provided by our waiter; NK Hair Salon, where a manicurist agreed to give Turtle a pedicure for an upcoming bar mitzvah (“You’ll have to hold her toes down under the dryer”); Maison du Chocolat; and the Frank E. Campbell Funeral Chapel, to inquire whether I could pre-pay for the turtle’s burial. “But it will outlive us all,” a sombrely dressed representative said in a sombre consultation room.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    More of an FYI for everyone, but emotional companion dogs are not covered by the ADA.

Also you are allowed to ask what they are trained to do, but that is literally it. Emotional companion = GTFO.
    Live Free or Die

We're dog friendly here. Mongrels to pedigrees, all are welcome. All the mutts know HJ has got the YummyChummies.
    Did the last unsatisfied fat soccer mom you took to your mom's basement call you a fascist? -irul&ublo
    Don't Taze me bro.

I'm on the front lines of this. I drive a city bus. Currently I have regulars who are "hippy travelers"...not the good kind, the gypsy-thief kind....who roll onto my bus with a pitbull and know all the phrases. "It's a service dog" "helps with my anxiety"...whatever. We get to their stop and this pitbull goes bounding off-leash out into the world wherever we stopped....walmart, pharmacy, grocery store. Pretty sweet.

I have another shitshow regular who is a baby mama for a prisoner in the local prison. Her service dog is a purse chihuahua. Drinking water and dog piss on the bus seats for everyone so she can carry a dog around to her appointments and shopping and whatnot.

It's fucked up. I see this every day and it sucks.
    Last edited by ill-advised strategy; 06-27-2015 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    More of an FYI for everyone, but emotional companion dogs are not covered by the ADA.

Also you are allowed to ask what they are trained to do, but that is literally it. Emotional companion = GTFO.
    That's not how it's played where I live and work. I wish it were, but we've gone through that and it's not legally sound. If you want a group of disabled activists threatening to sue you, go for it.

I bounced a guy with a emotional-support cat because the cat attacked another person, even then it was sort of iffy.

I know a guy who has a Lhasa Apso that senses when he's going to have a seizure

I don't know how the fuck they trained her for that but it's downright magical and amazing...both that she can do the required task and that they were able to train her for it

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    I know a guy who has a Lhasa Apso that senses when he's going to have a seizure

I don't know how the fuck they trained her for that but it's downright magical and amazing...both that she can do the required task and that they were able to train her for it
    that is awesome. I wonder if there's a scent component.

I teach at a college that tends to attract a good number of handicapped students, both physically and with different mental issues. I suspect that the service dog issue will come to a head in the next few years. The traditional service dogs are great: they've gone through years of training and show it. The emotional support dogs are a pretty mixed bag. Some are good, some are - well - basically like my dog, but allowed to go more places. I think there will be a bit of a rebellion from the other students if some standards aren't established.

I love dogs and think that emotional support animals probably can be really beneficial. I just think that for a dog to get certified, it should have to either pass a training exam or be professionally trained. That would eliminate potential problems.

Speaking of abuses of the system: I went to look at a condo the other day, but found out that the complex didn't allow dogs. The realtors immediately suggested that I just get my dog certified as a service dog so I could bring it.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post

Speaking of abuses of the system: I went to look at a condo the other day, but found out that the complex didn't allow dogs. The realtors immediately suggested that I just get my dog certified as a service dog so I could bring it.
    this is where we're at. When the whole concept of judgment has been deemed inappropriate for anyone but a court we can't even allow normal people to say to somebody: "no, that's clearly not a service dog". It's sad...to me, it's sad.

Quote Originally Posted by YetiMan View Post
    this is where we're at. When the whole concept of judgment has been deemed inappropriate for anyone but a court we can't even allow normal people to say to somebody: "no, that's clearly not a service dog". It's sad...to me, it's sad.
    I explained to them that any emotional support that I need is almost inevitably due to my dog's antics, not received from her.

doughboyshredder Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by YetiMan View Post
    I'm on the front lines of this. I drive a city bus. Currently I have regulars who are "hippy travelers"...not the good kind, the gypsy-thief kind....who roll onto my bus with a pitbull and know all the phrases. "It's a service dog" "helps with my anxiety"...whatever. We get to their stop and this pitbull goes bounding off-leash out into the world wherever we stopped....walmart, pharmacy, grocery store. Pretty sweet.

I have another shitshow regular who is a baby mama for a prisoner in the local prison. Her service dog is a purse chihuahua. Drinking water and dog piss on the bus seats for everyone so she can carry a dog around to her appointments and shopping and whatnot.

It's fucked up. I see this every day and it sucks.
    I'm not really surprised that you're a bus driver. LOL.

jesus dude

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    I don't even notice them as I drive to the back of the Costco parking lot but if it came out that 90% of the people using those spaces were completely able bodied I might start resenting the entitlement of them.
    Its over 90%
    “THE EDGE, there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.” HST