Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast
    Let loose the dogs of war!

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I'm sure dogs can get PTSD too--those dogs need their emotional support humans.
    This! Some dogs have terrible separation anxiety and totally trash the house when the owner leaves them alone there... or trashes wherever they are being cared for while owner travels. Rather than deal with that properly through better training, they just take the dog EVERYWHERE...
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

I just told little Tony “it’s ok, the bad internet man can’t get you”
    Full baby talk.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	394BAA9D-CF4B-482B-BF79-CC64614E8B82.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	488.0 KB 
ID:	286423

Name:  4516426E-A648-4FAF-8847-6B8EF3975981.gif
Views: 397
Size:  441.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    This! Some dogs have terrible separation anxiety and totally trash the house when the owner leaves them alone there... or trashes wherever they are being cared for while owner travels. Rather than deal with that properly through better training, they just take the dog EVERYWHERE...
    How do you train a dog not to do bad stuff if they only do it when you're gone?

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    The whole flying w pupper in cargo thing freaks me out. I know it's rare but how sickening would it be to go to baggage claim & find an attendant shrugging about your deceased family member.
    Completely agree. I would have a really hard time doing that out of fear my Malamute would stroke out.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

I've never had the need to fly with my dogs. House sitter or kennel works great.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    separation anxiety
    When did dogs being dogs and chewing up shit when the owner can’t provide enough stimulus become “separation anxiety”?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    I've never had the need to fly with my dogs. House sitter or kennel works great.
    Well, I would like to move next year when Mrs L2S retires and was thinking Yurp or Canada. Not flying the pups makes my decision difficult. Guess I am driving to BC.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Beef or chicken?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Fake Service Dogs......

I agree with you, but I'm surprised that dogs that I assume are very well trained need choke collars. Maybe someone can explain.
    I'm sure dogs can get PTSD too--those dogs need their emotional support humans.

I wonder how long it will take for someone to start selling fake war dog vests, or maybe someone does already. Don't be surprised if you see a miniature poodle wearing one.
    The choke type collars are effective for correcting behavior if used correctly and not used for punishment although I’ve never used one on my dog the proper techniques and use has been taught at Avalanche dog schools and they already have “war dog “ vests out there
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

How do you train a dog not to do bad stuff if they only do it when you're gone?
    Surveillance cameras and a remote shock collar?
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    would that work with teenagers left alone in the house for the weekend?

Fake Service Dogs......

would that work with teenagers left alone in the house for the weekend?
    It seems worth trying....

I’ve been unsuccessful in finding a truly remote shock collar. I just have to resign myself to watching my dogs destroy something from afar and realize I’m helpless to stop it. Probably therapeutic in some way....
    focus.

Doesn't seem like that will work too well for separation anxiety.

"Every time the guy leaves I get the shit shocked out of me."

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    When did dogs being dogs and chewing up shit when the owner can’t provide enough stimulus become “separation anxiety”?

When the triggering event
    is
    the departure of the dog's person --

'ACE' had been neglected - Just left alone in an outdoor kennel...
    he was eighteen months when he came to us --

when I was there - or in his crate in the car he was fine --
    The day I left him in his crate in the house for twelve minutes ,

it took me four hours to pick-up the destruction he caused After he destroyed the crate and tried to break out of the house through the kitchen window...

Poor , wonderful , 'Ace' ...

absolutely 'separation anxiety' :
    a broken soul

tj
    " ... I will do anything to go Skiing ... There Is no pride ... " (Miriam , 2005-2006 epic)

Dec21, 2016. LittleBigLost :
    " I think about it everyday. It is my reminder to live life to the fullest. I get up early, go to bed late, 'cuz I got shit to do. Like I said, I'm 61. Not going to wait till I'm 81 to do stuff, ...

Get out there and do stuff!

Enjoy life to the fullest!!

See you on the slopes! "

Fake Service Dogs......

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post

I was talking about dogs doing bad shit when you’re gone. Like tearing up a library book. Mine usually do it several hours in, and it’s just boredom.

My one dog does get crazy separation anxiety, just like ACE above. That’s almost 100% of the reason why I have 2 dogs now. He’s chill with his sister around.

The difference is exactly what I reference above. “Separation anxiety” is my dog doing a cool $2,500 worth of damage to my car interior upon being left alone in the car for 10 minutes.

Being bored and chewing shit up is spreading the stack of library books that are on the table to be returned into little soggy pulpy pieces all over the floor in the living room and dining room. 3 hours in to a 7 hour stretch. Slowly, quietly, deliberately, like a fucking technician, while I watch from an hour away.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post

lol

I was talking about dogs doing bad shit when you’re gone. Like tearing up a library book. Mine usually do it several hours in, and it’s just boredom.

My one dog does get crazy separation anxiety, just like ACE above. That’s almost 100% of the reason why I have 2 dogs now. He’s chill with his sister around.

The difference is exactly what I reference above. “Separation anxiety” is my dog doing a cool $2,500 worth of damage to my car interior upon being left alone in the car for 10 minutes.

Being bored and chewing shit up is spreading the stack of library books that are on the table to be returned into little soggy pulpy pieces all over the floor in the living room and dining room. 3 hours in to a 7 hour stretch. Slowly, quietly, deliberately, like a fucking technician, while I watch from an hour away.
    No land line phone at home? Call that boy up and give him a scolding right away.

Quote Originally Posted by JongDoe View Post
    No land line phone at home? Call that boy up and give him a scolding right away.
    Can't get him to pick up. Caller ID fucked that all up.

I yell at them through the camera intercom. Something about the voice being distorted on the speaker or their knowledge that I’m not actually there and can not do shit to them makes them completely ignore me.
    focus.

Mustonen's dog Muttley while he's yelling at him over the speaker:

House filled with $500 in dog toys they play with and one fucker tore down the window blinds as we were baking out of the driveway hahaha.. He was a puppy then though.. Never did that again...

When did dogs being dogs and chewing up shit when the owner can’t man up and beat them with a belt when they act up become “separation anxiety”?

Fixed it for you??? Just kidding mostly.. But no more newspapers or magazines to roll up so what is an asshole to do???
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Fixed it for you??? Just kidding mostly.. But no more newspapers or magazines to roll up so what is an asshole to do???
    I am pretty sure this is not the place where you want to be 'joking' - or "just kidding mostly" - about beating dogs with a belt...

stay away from me --
    That shit is NOT ( funny ) .

Goodbye(,) syg

I buy the separation anxiety idea rather than boredom. A dog can lie around the house doing nothing and if it's owner is home it doesn't tear up stuff. Dogs are about as social an animal as there is on this planet.* Maybe people who don't work or travel should be the only ones who should have dogs. I understand the impulse to take dogs places they don't belong, for the dog's sake, not the owner's.

*Acccording to a friend who has one to guard his horse, Anatolian shepherds don't care for people but prefer the company of farm animals. Their job is to kill wolves, although coyotes will do in a pinch.

I was listening to an NPR piece about dog eyebrows. Dogs have a muscle that raises the inner sides of their eyebrows, which helps them look up at their owners and also gives them an appearance appealing to humans--big eyes, which is what makes babies cute.. Wolves (and huskies) lack that muscle.

I was listening to an NPR piece about dog eyebrows. Dogs have a muscle that raises the inner sides of their eyebrows, which helps them look up at their owners and also gives them an appearance appealing to humans--big eyes, which is what makes babies cute.. Wolves (and huskies) lack that muscle.
    Fascinating stuff. I wonder if that NPR piece had to do with this study since Ars also just did an article about it:
    https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2.../11/1820653116
    https://arstechnica.com/science/2019...on-dogs-faces/