Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    I bet nobody would train a great dane as a non-mobility service dog because that's a handful most disabled folks don't need.

I bet someone with a pet great dane would lie and claim their dog was a diabetic service dog because they don't want to pay for a seat for the dog.
    What if they had mobility issues, too? Lots of diabetic people have foot issues. This is why you judge based on behavior of the animal.

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    What if they had mobility issues, too? Lots of diabetic people have foot issues. This is why you judge based on behavior of the animal.
    Possibility maybe possibly maybe yawn yawn
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Fake Service Dogs......

That does it. I'm getting a service unicorn. Not a magnificent one, just a normal one.

Yeah don't get a magnificent one, we have enough already.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    I believe it is possible although if I recall the science on dogs sensing diabetic fluctuations is not crystal clear. Having dealt w diabetics in my fam, my inclination is that they should be managing their blood sugars better themselves if they think they need a dog to stay safe
    hypoglycemia is a bitch

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    I've brought dogs to visit patients in hospitals on many occasions. Not support or service animals, just dogs. The times I've been there the staff has always been fine with pet visits. I'd rather see an over abundance of animals in that setting than in a plane anyday. All the same, I still hate on all the faux service animals out there these days on planes, etc.
    Your sole focus was controlling the dog to visit people. Patients or family members aren't only touring a dog around nor are experienced. When their focus is on the patient the pet may not be controlled properly and cause problems. Big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Yeah don't get a magnificent one, we have enough already.
    There's only one.

Cannot believe this fake shit says "Full Access Required by Law"

Per the ADA:

Emotional support animals, comfort animals, and therapy dogs are not service animals under Title II and Title III of the ADA. ... The work or tasks performed by a service animal must be directly related to the individual's disability.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

If someone claims to need a dog, or duck, or camel, or whatever to ease their anxiety, isn't my claim that the presence of said animal causes me anxiety equally valid? How should this issue be resolved? One option is to channel the wisdom of Solomon and cut the animal in half.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Cannot believe this fake shit says "Full Access Required by Law"

Per the ADA:

Emotional support animals, comfort animals, and therapy dogs are not service animals under Title II and Title III of the ADA. ... The work or tasks performed by a service animal must be directly related to the individual's disability.
    This would not work if businesses would refuse service. Other than housing and airlines, as soon as emotional support animal is said, it should be asked to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    If someone claims to need a dog, or duck, or camel, or whatever to ease their anxiety, isn't my claim that the presence of said animal causes me anxiety equally valid? How should this issue be resolved? One option is to channel the wisdom of Solomon and cut the animal in half.
    Sounds like a workable solution, but only if you are carrying a bible.

I was wondering if I should get a doctors note saying these animals cause me anxiety and they can't be near me.

Here's what I've wondered. Which trumps which? Emotional support dogs versus people with wicked pet allergies.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Indeed it is an interesting ethical dilemma.

If you have an ornithophobe and an anxious person with a therapy duck...

Or:
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Here's what I've wondered. Which trumps which? Emotional support dogs versus people with wicked pet allergies.
    And before mtngirl comes in saying "oh well seat them far apart" there are plenty of aircraft where there is no far apart (ATR42s, 208s, etc) or where someone with a phobia might not even be able to walk down an aisle past the animal that is the cause of their phobia.

Legally the ACAA says the ESA flies (unless it is a rodent or reptile). But the ACAA is not about ESAs. The ACAA is about preventing discrimination against those with disabilities. So accommodating one disability shouldn't encompass discriminating against another disability.

Now we can say that person A's phobia should be treated and they have no expectation of avoiding ducks on airplanes. If such an argument is valid, then we could just as easily say that person B's anxiety should be managed by a method other than a mallard if they wish to fly.

So who has priority?

We could also say that there should be no expectation that a disabled individual should be able to choose any animal or even any dog breed they want as an ESA if they want to enjoy the full access at no cost (eg peacocks, pigs, horses, kangaroos, pitbulls, english mastiff, great dane, cane corso) if accommodating such an animal is unreasonable in a given environment. I challenge someone to come up with a compelling medical reason those particular animals or breeds are the only valid choices for an ESA for a person.
    Last edited by Summit; 01-31-2018 at 12:27 PM.

What the fuck is the dog going to do, cart them around then or are they going to ride the dog like a horse? Most diabetics I've met would break the back of even a horse. #nomorepieforyou

The whole peacock service animal thing is out of control, I have a solution for that, wring it's fucking neck like a goose.

People use service dogs as a brace or counter balance. Also, lots of people with type 1 diabetes struggle with low body weight.

Anyways, that would be a service animal, not an emotional support animal. Those are two separate things with different laws.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    What the fuck is the dog going to do, cart them around then or are they going to ride the dog like a horse? Most diabetics I've met would break the back of even a horse. #nomorepieforyou
    Mobility dogs usually perform tasks like retrieving items out of reach (a phone), or say operating a light switch or elevator button. Extra large dog breeds like a Great Dane can be mobility aids service animals by providing balance/support for those who have balance/strength issues.

Complications of poor compliance in diabete management that relate to mobility are not generally issues of strength or balance.

Severe complications of out of control diabetes that eventually lead to mobility issues are obesity, severe PVD, ulcers and neuropathy. These generally lead to complex wounds, necrosis, toe/foot/leg amputation etc. Complications of such severity usually include morbid obesity and are not well mitigated by a very large breed service animal offering physical support.

Eventually a diabetic could become wheelchair bound and/or blind as a result of poorly managed diabetes (usually also with obesity, heart disease, and other problems). Many don't live long at this stage in their complications. A very large breed service animal is not their primary need.

mtngirls mobility diabetes dog claim is a stupendous stretch of reasoning meant to back up her preconceived conclusion.

Fake Service Dogs......

^yep. my dad had run of mill diabetes. nothing crazy as far as levels go. managed it pretty well, but he eventually still got all The cardiovascular issues that go along with it and ended up losing one then both legs. He never had any use for a service dog at any point.

Also, lots of people with type 1 diabetes struggle with low body weight.
    Low weight to the point of weakness is not a common long term complication of DM of any type. You do see it in new onset type 1s, but it corrects relatively quickly after they are diagnosed and treated. The treatment is NOT a very large breed mobility support dog.

Mobility dogs usually perform tasks like retrieving items out of reach (a phone), or say operating a light switch or elevator button. Extra large dog breeds like a Great Dane can be mobility aids service animals by providing balance/support for those who have balance/strength issues.

Complications of poor compliance in diabete management that relate to mobility are not generally issues of strength or balance.

Severe complications of out of control diabetes that eventually lead to mobility issues are obesity, severe PVD, ulcers and neuropathy. These generally lead to complex wounds, necrosis, toe/foot/leg amputation etc. Complications of such severity usually include morbid obesity and are not well mitigated by a very large breed service animal offering physical support.

Eventually a diabetic could become wheelchair bound and/or blind as a result of poorly managed diabetes (usually also with obesity, heart disease, and other problems). Many don't live long at this stage in their complications. A very large breed service animal is not their primary need.

mtngirls mobility diabetes dog claim is a stupendous stretch of reasoning meant to back up her preconceived conclusion.
    Thank you WebMD, I am a health care professional too, I just don't act like one around here or in my head at work.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    Thank you WebMD, I am a health care professional too, I just don't act like one around here or in my head at work.
    You are welcome

My preconceived conclusion is that if the dog is behaving it's none of my business.

Picture this on your next flight...

What would happen if an anatidaephobe and their emotional service dog were seated next to a cynophobe and their emotional service duck? Would it cause some paradoxical gravitational collapse?
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

Another example of people using services for the disabled for their gain at the airport...

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/04/n...ort-lines.html

“Miracle Flights” LOL!

I’ve never flown Southwest, but evidently this is more prevalent with their flights because of lack of assigned seating.
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

My preconceived conclusion is that if the dog is behaving it's none of my business.
    Have you been paying attention to the thread?

The issues being addressed include:
    1. Faking service dogs to avoid fees
    2. Inconvenience imposed by putting animals above a certain size in an aircraft cabin
    3. Fake service animals that behave... until they don't.

All of those issues supersede your preconceived conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by spanky View Post
    Picture this on your next flight...

What would happen if an anatidaephobe and their emotional service dog were seated next to a cynophobe and their emotional service duck? Would it cause some paradoxical gravitational collapse?
    Depends. Is a treadmill involved?