Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    a cello is not 8' tall, retard. Smells like bullshit....must be shit coming from an apparent asshole.
    Whether a cello is 5' or 8' tall, its not fitting in the overhead. Docent take a genius to figure that out.

Nice left field aggressiveness, though. Now I know why when I visited Aspen a few weeks ago, there were signs everywhere regarding a hotline to call to report road rage.

Oh yea, and re-quoting other peoples comments. Thanks.....

You seem to be good at calling people an asshole, you should look in the mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    I know string musicians carry their instruments on because they will not allow baggage folks to handle them because they're worth more than a car and in some cases, houses. My SIL has one that's several hundred K. Ain't nobody touching that fiddle...
    Stradivarius?
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    This is part of the problem.

Your brother in law got a letter from a doctor/shrink stating that his dog was a "comfort animal" that he needed on the plane because he has a disability. That isn't a service animal, and there are a fair amount of hoops to jump through to do it.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...e_animals.aspx

There are three "names" used.

Service animal is covered by the ADA, and is trained to perform a task (tasks). Service dogs aren't "certified" so if someone says this it's pretty much a dead giveaway that they are fakers.

Emotional support/comfort animal Is a glorified pet, not covered by ADA but by the fair housing act and airlines. These are not registered or certified, but the owner gets a letter from their doctor/shrink saying that they need the pet due to a medical condition.

Therapy animal is an animal trained to be used in therapy. Dogs that visit hospitals and nursing homes or trauma dogs that go to schools, disasters and just wander around and do the dog thing. These get no special treatment.
    if ya tell kessler the smiles pets and luvs he recieved doing animal assisted therapy weren't special
    he would woof you loudly
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by guroo270 View Post
    Stradivarius?
    No, not even...

They were telling me about how patrons are investing in those sorts of instruments. The performers sure as hell can't afford them (except one or two), but they can play the hell out of them. They get to use the best, and the patron gets the honor of owning something unique. Not sure how the patron and artist agree on insurance etc, but it's an interesting investment strategy.

Fake Service Dogs......

On topic, our last dog was a delta society dog, and Mrs. Acinpdx would take her to old folks homes to visit and raise spirits. She was a real sweetie and liked people better than dogs. We joked that if she could hold a cup, she'd stand around and have coffee with the other people at the dog park.

And that vest was NEVER used for any other purpose but old people cheering.

Fake Service Dogs......

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    Most airlines now will not transport dogs in cargo. Too many deaths.
    They do but it has to be between a very small temp range at departing and arriving airports (altho its alway mf'ing cold at 30k feet)

But then again it was about 15 yrs ago that I last flew my dog so maybe rules have changed
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    On topic, our last dog was a delta society dog, and Mrs. Acinpdx would take her to old folks homes to visit and raise spirits. She was a real sweetie and liked people better than dogs. We joked that if she could hold a cup, she'd stand around and have coffee with the other people at the dog park.

And that vest was NEVER used for any other purpose but old people cheering.
    Done bout everything
    From the read program to Shriners to juvie detention
    Old people and the althiemers are the hardest for me
    They die on ya
    Fore Kessler the littermate flooger brothers
    We're opposites
    Tigger was all about kids and playing
    Montgomery loved them old peeps
    Don't needs no stinking leashes or laws or needs to take the furkids every where
    We do aat because the animal human bond matters
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Fuckin mobile
    To the wife and I
    the dogs
    and the bond recipricants

I feel like one day I may understand SFB and it will be brilliant.
    Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    Hey Phill, why don't you post your tax returns, here on TGR, asshole. And your birth certificate.

wouldnt you have had to use the lift if she had one of those stupid carts, or a walker or a baby stroller, too? Or if she just wanted you to?

We have one woman that asks for it no matter what. Like, I can be brushed up against the curb with an inch or two step down and she will ask for the ramp. And she doesnt even use a walker.

Its public transportation.
    Yes, well....on one hand we just go with it and it is what it is...not an emergency or anything.
    On the other hand, it ruins the system for everyone else and leads to major resentment and bitterness among everyone else who feel, rightly, that "being poorly socialized" isn't a disability.

I'm kind of a strict constructionist when it comes to disability. There are limited resources available to assist people who have legitimate mobility problems...those resources don't need to be allocated to people who could care for themselves but choose not to.

Hopefully this is the start of a trend. http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...dog-fraud.html. The real solution is to require certification and documentation for service animals.

But isn't it difficult to judge someone just by looking at them for a few seconds while driving a bus? Isn't it better to just give the benefit of doubt rather risking being wrong and refusing and humiliating someone with a real disability?
    It wouldn't be a problem if assholes would stop abusing the system.

For example:

Ivana Trump allegedly flashed a therapy animal card when toting her miniature Yorkie into Manhattan’s high-end Altesi Ristorante in June 2014, sparking complaints from other diners.

“Lunch was ruined because Ivana Trump sat next to us with her dog which she even let climb to the table. I told her no dogs allowed but she lied that hers was a service dog,” reads a review on the restaurant’s Google review page, discovered by the New Yorker’s Patricia Marx.

Untrained "Comfort" animals shouldn't be on planes, buses or mass transit. And just like you have display a valid permit to park in a handicapped parking spot, you should also have to display a permit to bring a "service" animal onto mass transit, restaurants, supermarkets, etc.

This isn't rocket science. People are ruining the system put in place by the ADA and it should be reined in.

Fake Service Dogs......

This website https://www.nsarco.com/flying-with-e...l-support.html

Says that with a doctors note, which they conveniently provide a list of doctors willing to provide one, you can pretty much bring any dog on an airplane AND not be charged for accommodating it!!! So I think a bear should be allowed too!

The Air Carrier Access Act allows for mentally or emotionally impaired persons to be accompanied on flights by an emotional support animal on the condition that the correct documentation, including a letter from your physician or mental health professional verifying that the emotional support animal would provide some degree of comfort, is provided. That means that if you have supporting documentation from a licensed mental health professional, your emotional support animal will be able to accompany you on an airplane.

When you have an official and documented emotional support animal, the airlines are NOT allowed to charge you additional fees when your support animal accompanies you.

But isn't it difficult to judge someone just by looking at them for a few seconds while driving a bus?
    I'm not driving while they load and unload the bus and the relevant judgment has to do with their mobility, which, while nuances exist, is hardly an impossible thing to judge as they mobilize themselves to and onto the bus.

Isn't it better to just give the benefit of doubt rather risking being wrong and refusing and humiliating someone with a real disability?
    Yes, possibly. Particularly in the small, immediate picture. In the big picture though, quite possibly it may be better, overall, to stop this BS society-wide so the limited resources and special privileges that should exist for the truly disabled are properly available to them. When you redefine disability to include nearly anyone, you end up with some able-bodied ex con sitting in the easy-access senior preference seating with his face covered in gang tattoos refusing to move for an 85 year old woman with a bad hip....because some shyster of a physicians assistant took his drug money and gave him paperwork so he can grow pot in his house and a nice RX for pills he will sell. Yes, this actually happened....and I didn't move that bus until he got off of it....but this is what we're doing, we're saying that disability is a self-determined state so that anyone who is poorly socialized and has no conscience can self-identify as disabled and help himself to resources and privileges we set aside for people with no legs, or no vision. It's wrong, and it needs to be corrected.

It is just the bus. I only wish those with the power would plan for more time to accommodate people.
    agreed. Most of the issues I've observed are largely mitigated with scheduling modifications that provide adequate time for these situations. Sadly, our leadership view these suggestions as being mostly about drivers....drivers are lazy, drivers are incompetent...etc. So the public gets an ineffective service because the schedules are unrealistic, drivers can't modify the schedules and managers blame the drivers: drivers who stay on time are blamed for driving aggressively, drivers who fall behind are blamed for being lazy. Management says drivers are lazy or drive too aggressively because we have a union, when in fact we have a union because we have managers who are so full of shit that they find a way to blame a bus driver for being 5 minutes late because he spent 5 minutes loading a passenger in a wheelchair...characterizing that situation as laziness...or his coworker who chooses to do 30 in a 25 to make those 5 minutes up because the system hasn't been timed to accommodate these passengers in the first place. It's intractable.

even mobility is hard to judge. Some people will be walking pretty well when I drop them off and I will pick them up at the end of the day and they are barely able to stand.
    My point: you can see who's moving well and not right then and that's enough. If they're having difficulty, they deserve a ramp or a lift, and an easy-access seat...if not, leave it for somebody else.

In my old schedule I saw a guy all the time who was just like that. The lift malfunctioned one day and he just strolled right up the stairs....because he's an asshole, and the fact that he could have just done that in the first place somehow doesn't matter to him because none of us are allowed to push him to behave in a socially responsible way.

When it comes to fake service dogs I just have no stomach for it. The hippy with her pit bull, the idiot with her tiny purse dog that pisses on the seat, the metal head with a cat on a leash that scratches at people as they walk through the isle...on and on and on and on.

You can take the position that a line can't be drawn between legitimate and illegitimate, that we can't know....fine. That argument looks and works better on paper than in the world I'm navigating. In my day to day, it's pretty easy to tell the dogs that are assisting a disabled person with their mobility and it's pretty easy to tell the poorly-socialized liars who take advantage of the loopholes.

Looks like we need a bus driver sub forum...
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I'm going to get a comfort dog to help guide me home from the bar.

I'm a disability strict-constructionist. In my view, public policy and design should accommodate peoples' mobility issues. Personality problems and mental disorders aren't a design or policy concern. I think it's not inconsistent or obtuse to say that I care deeply about people with severe psychological/psychiatric issues but I don't see how attempting to fully integrate those people into the day-to-day flow of regular people in a city serves anyone...including, and sometimes especially, the persons with issues themselves.
    Those people deserve a better level of service than a bunch of policies forcing everyone else to just accommodate them wherever they go...which, again, and I want to emphasize this, does not ultimately serve anybody except people at the political/administrative/leadership level who don't have to design, staff, and fund specific programs to properly, thoughtfully handle people with severe mental illness trying to live out in the community. Framing these problems (problems with accommodating very sick people in places and situations where they don't really function effectively) as a civil rights struggle is just an easy, cheap, politically-motivated non-answer, non-plan that sounds good in a quote. People with those levels of severe illness deserve better than to be expected to integrate into society by way of some BS strongarm ADA laws that end up being a total mess in their actual implementation and causing a ton of resentment and bitterness toward disabled people who have enough to worry about already.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1460074915.504176.jpg
Views: 977
Size:  293.5 KB

On the flight from Liberia to LAX. Dude just had his dog with him because he liked the beach. Nice guy, nice dog, and I'm willing to bet he paid for the FC ticket. On the connecting flight home, a girl had about a 50 lb mutt with no seat. He sat at her feet with his nose in the aisle. I don't think she paid anything, and never claimed he was any kind of service dog. I didn't think regular lets were allowed on the plane unless under the seat in front of you. Saw TONS of "comfort/PTSD/therapy dogs at all the airports I flew through.

Quote Originally Posted by DeepHelmet View Post

On the flight from Liberia to LAX. Dude just had his dog with him because he liked the beach. Nice guy, nice dog, and I'm willing to bet he paid for the FC ticket. .
    That's awesome.... The Lab looks stoked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

On the flight from Liberia to LAX. Dude just had his dog with him because he liked the beach. Nice guy, nice dog, and I'm willing to bet he paid for the FC ticket. On the connecting flight home, a girl had about a 50 lb mutt with no seat. He sat at her feet with his nose in the aisle. I don't think she paid anything, and never claimed he was any kind of service dog. I didn't think regular lets were allowed on the plane unless under the seat in front of you. Saw TONS of "comfort/PTSD/therapy dogs at all the airports I flew through.
    Did the dog get the first class service too? Beef Burgandy and Chateauneuf de Pape?

He just got to sniff the Skywaitress' crotch on occasion.

Dogs suck.

"I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Holy shit, that is awesome. I would pay for my dogs seat. I need to call the airlines and see who will allow that. Just one question. On more than a 5 hour flight, where does the dogs do his business? Is there a patch of grass in first class?
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Liberia, Africa? (the only Liberia I ever heard of so I guess so?)