Going to Jackson - looking for some beta

Hey - I'm heading to Jackson next winter and want to see if there is any gospel on when the historical best time for snow is? Is there a week that seems to be a good bet?

Been dreaming of this trip for 20 years.

Thanks!

Micah from Toronto

I used to say Feb. but after this last season...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

PM Benny Profane. He's a local.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Exactly! The biggest months/weeks have been super variable the last few years. From deep days in November to low months of Feb. Crazy.

My favorite week is the one right after New Year's. Lowest [relative] crowds, so whatever snow there is stays longer, way lower hotel rates, and half empty restaurants...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Hi Shiloh! May I suggest that instead of the overrated, overhyped and overpriced Tetons that you "think outside the box" and instead bring your posse to the mountains of the northeast, home of the gnarliest snowriding in the USA? I would proffer that all things considered, it is the clear choice. There is a plethora of cheap lodging options available, unlike in Jackspn Hole. The riding is quite challenging partly due to the variable conditions, and you will find that the conditions are actually more dependable and consistent to anything you will find out west due to the superior snowmaking. Also, the culture is superior, the history is rich and the "Norman Rockwell" factor is prevalent everywhere you turn. The terrain is truly fabulous, the partying is unmatched anywhere!(can you say "hot New Jersey Italian babes?") When you score your first Killington powder day in "Bearclaw Woods", you will be grinning from ear to ear, I promise you!. You also will have fun pursuing the plethora of hot NYC/NJ and Boston "chicas" in their stretch pants, but I must warn you they are quite feisty and outspoken, unlike the laid-back western gals.
    I would also like to take this opportunity to formally invite you (as well as all TGR Maggots , TTip-ers, NewSchoolers, Epicureans, jongs and lurkers alike) to come join our fun-loving but responsible bunch of snowriding aficionados at http://forums.alpinezone.com/. I think most all of you will find that our seasoned moderators "keep the bar high" by maintaining a sense of order and decorum, while encouraging quality discussion about our favorite pastime. I can assure you that "newbies"'(jongs) are welcomed with open arms by our entire community(unlike here at TGR), and there is no "hazing period" or rudeness tolerated. We also have superior bandwidth and response times on our 502g superfibre network as well as a state-of-the-art virtual blade server farm with 5000 terabytes of virtual disk space for your photos, blogs etc. It may take a small amount of getting used to, as we do have reasonable standards as far as language and image posting that are strictly enforced. The registration is easy and painless, and the rules will be explained in detail during the process. I will warn you however up front that registering an ALIAS is strictly "VERBOTEN", and something we have zero-tolerance with. If you are tired of the juvenile goings-on at TGR and Newschoolers and yearn for a snowriding forum that matches your maturity level, all I can say is: "Come join the fun"!

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post

May is the new Feb.!

I think it's time to post a troll on Alpine Zone. It would go something like this:

"May I suggest that you surf over to TGR, where we cuss like sailors, eat our young, extract payment in the form of naked photos of girlfriends/wives, act like juveniles because we refuse to grow up (or forgot to take our meds), and troll to attract more crowds because it's not crowded enough out here".

I can save the post in a draft and repeat it ad nauseum.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

I think you're missing the joke...

doughboyshredder Guest
    It's incredible that he's still reeling them in.

Quote Originally Posted by AlpineZone View Post
    Hi Shiloh! May I suggest that instead of the overrated, overhyped and overpriced Tetons that you "think outside the box" and instead bring your posse to the mountains of the northeast, home of the gnarliest snowriding in the USA? I would proffer that all things considered, it is the clear choice. There is a plethora of cheap lodging options available, unlike in Jackspn Hole. The riding is quite challenging partly due to the variable conditions, and you will find that the conditions are actually more dependable and consistent to anything you will find out west due to the superior snowmaking. Also, the culture is superior, the history is rich and the "Norman Rockwell" factor is prevalent everywhere you turn. The terrain is truly fabulous, the partying is unmatched anywhere!(can you say "hot New Jersey Italian babes?") When you score your first Killington powder day in "Bearclaw Woods", you will be grinning from ear to ear, I promise you!. You also will have fun pursuing the plethora of hot NYC/NJ and Boston "chicas" in their stretch pants, but I must warn you they are quite feisty and outspoken, unlike the laid-back western gals.
    I would also like to take this opportunity to formally invite you (as well as all TGR Maggots , TTip-ers, NewSchoolers, Epicureans, jongs and lurkers alike) to come join our fun-loving but responsible bunch of snowriding aficionados at http://forums.alpinezone.com/. I think most all of you will find that our seasoned moderators "keep the bar high" by maintaining a sense of order and decorum, while encouraging quality discussion about our favorite pastime. I can assure you that "newbies"'(jongs) are welcomed with open arms by our entire community(unlike here at TGR), and there is no "hazing period" or rudeness tolerated. We also have superior bandwidth and response times on our 502g superfibre network as well as a state-of-the-art virtual blade server farm with 5000 terabytes of virtual disk space for your photos, blogs etc. It may take a small amount of getting used to, as we do have reasonable standards as far as language and image posting that are strictly enforced. The registration is easy and painless, and the rules will be explained in detail during the process. I will warn you however up front that registering an ALIAS is strictly "VERBOTEN", and something we have zero-tolerance with. If you are tired of the juvenile goings-on at TGR and Newschoolers and yearn for a snowriding forum that matches your maturity level, all I can say is: "Come join the fun"!
    I still want that ski off at BBI16. You better show up pussy.

The alpine zone shit cracks me up every time
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Keystone is the new Snowbird

Quote Originally Posted by Bronic View Post
    The alpine zone shit cracks me up every time
    Easy now. Greg doesn't like swear words.

Why does everyone have to use "beta" when asking for advice or a review? 0.32 second google search will get you the answer. I would send a link but TGR limits new posts with URL's. onthesnow has historical snowfall by date for 5+ years on all resorts.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    Hey - I'm heading to Jackson...
    You didn't by chance get married in a fever, hotter than a pepper sprout?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Virtual blade servers, son. Get some
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    Hey - I'm heading to Jackson next winter and want to see if there is any gospel on when the historical best time for snow is? Is there a week that seems to be a good bet?

Been dreaming of this trip for 20 years.

Thanks!

Micah from Toronto
    Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    You didn't by chance get married in a fever, hotter than a pepper sprout?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Here's all you need to know

No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I'll give ya some beta, you should have been there 15 to 20 years ago. That place is so crowded now, shit got played.

I wish I had a time machine. I used to be able to throw a football clear over those mountains. JK, but seriously, it ain't what it used to be.

onthesnow has historical snowfall by date for 5+ years on all resorts.
    Much of which is inaccurate.
    Is there a week that seems to be a good bet?
    For powder, there is no such animal. Broad trends over decades smooth out, but in any given year snowfall will be concentrated in a relatively small percentage of days, not predictable far in advance. I've analyzed this in some detail: http://bestsnow.net/pwdrpct.htm . For most skiers who think they are unlucky for powder on advance-booked destination trips, the reality is they are probably not.

The only way to raise your powder odds is to book within the credible range of weather forecasting, which is not more than one week in advance.

Advance booking at Jackson should be more concerned with snow preservation. The steep SE exposure is unusual among North American ski areas, so melt/freezes become increasingly common from late February onwards. January/first half of February is the safest time. In addition, temperature inversions which are common then will preserve snow nicely in the Hobacks and other Lower Faces.
    http://bestsnow.net
    "The most complete, comprehensive and objective guide to snowfall--and both prevailing and expected snow conditions--at North America's ski resorts ever published"- Powder Magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Here's all you need to know

Awesome! I was going to suggest...Go comb your hair! Greg, what is alpine zones stance on marijuana?

Historically speaking the best pow-pow is usually directly after a big storm in the winter. My beta to you is to go to Jackson at that time.

Enjoy mate!
    Last edited by AK47bp; 08-10-2015 at 09:31 AM.

Jackson Hole Mountain Resort is awesome but those bastards in the marketing department really know how to get Park City skiers here.

Been here going on seven winters place is way busier. At least I had seven winters in Alta before Jackson.

You really have to have a 'game plan' skiing JHMR on a good day. I have timed things right on some fun days, if you don't know the hill it is tough for a tourist.

Come to JH in late January/early Febuary, that can be a great time to come.
    Always charging it in honor of Flyin' Ryan Hawks.

BUT- this guy is from Toronto so even on a crowded/ less than stellar pow day etc etc he is still going to be having a better time than he ever has skiing

What the hell is!?!

Quote Originally Posted by baby bear View Post
    BUT- this guy is from Toronto so even on a crowded/ less than stellar pow day etc etc he is still going to be having a better time than he ever has skiing
    True, for tourist gapers my 'C' run probably is their 'A' level run.
    Always charging it in honor of Flyin' Ryan Hawks.

Over at Epic, Bob Peters lays it all out pretty good. I'd link but I'm drunk and that's too much work. Baby Bear knows her shit, once you experience the fall line here, honestly snow quality is not as important.

Locals complain, and I'm only 16 years in, but it is still less of a shit-show than a CO or Tahoe on a weekend.

But man, 16 years ago, that shit was real! (Insert rose colored glasses)

January is my vote, a vote against my self interest, but my vote.