Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    We've got some friends who work at the University in Corvallis. Rode there for a couple days once and loved it. The Mac is an amazing resource. Looking to branch out a little more this time. Wife bruised some ribs at BRMBA last time, hoping to not repeat that!!

radness, i miss osu, the math dept is my peeps, block 15 my brew

if you liked br and didnt need the big hits, go to alsea falls, seriously, you will thank me later
    hit the beach to escape heat and marys peak is a great hike/ride/explore along the way, it also doesnt suck if someone happened to dump you at the top and meet you at the bottom to sneak in a quick lap... some wifes/friends are nice like that on vaca...

+1 for van, being able to stash your bike safely opens many doors for other fun shit to do, and there is lots of other fun shit to do around OR, you will end up wanting to hike and explore trails, and breweries...

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Just rented a 2 seater cargo van for $46 a day. Easy bike storage and mobile home in one. Just need to paint "free candy" on the side to complete the creepiness.

Few into Eugene yesterday.
    (whao, it really is hot here. Better ride in early AM!!)
    Headed to Alsea today.
    Last edited by jm2e; 07-03-2015 at 08:32 AM.

(whao, it really is hot here. Better ride in early AM!!)
    Just trying to make you feel at home, although it's tough to get the humidity high enough.
    Have fun at Alsea Falls

Well, FUCK MY LIFE.
    Had a fantastic day at Alsea Falls. Rode some amazing new trail up top. Felt pretty good.
    Ate Shit 1/2 mile from the car. Mild concussion at broken clavicle.
    Game Over.
    Fuck Me.

Well, FUCK MY LIFE.
    Had a fantastic day at Alsea Falls. Rode some amazing new trail up top. Felt pretty good.
    Game Over.
    Fuck Me.
    That truly sucks. Heal fast

Well, FUCK MY LIFE.
    Game Over.
    Fuck Me.
    bummer, thats some weak fucking sauce, heal yourself up!

Whiteroom - if you are interested in attaining enlightenment,via hypoxia and Teh Bonkz, the High Cascades 100 is July 18.
    http://highcascades100.com/bend-oreg...nce-bike-race/

I would literally die and/or not even get close to finishing. I am behind the ball fitness wise as it is after my little 2 year appendicitis nonsense and surgery last month.

That sounds like a lot of hard work. Better to ride a bit and indulge accordingly.
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

I totally agree. I'm too old for 12 hr sufferfests. But there are people who enjoy that shit.

1 week!!

My fitness is still meh. Not recovering as fast as I had hoped from surgery. Will be at the bike park tomorrow to get a feel for how well I can handle long decents.

What should be my first stop heading out of Portland towards Bend?

^^^
    for downhill and "features"
    Sandy Ridge
    Ski Bowl
    Post Canyon

For XC
    Take Hwy 84 to Hood River, then take Hwy 35 S to USFS 44. Bunch of stuff off of that road. Stop in da Hood, chat up the LBS (http://discoverbicycles.com/) and get a map

Feeling good, but the abdomen is still a little sore after 6 hours at the bike park on Saturday. Ended up buying a dakine bike bag. I know the Warden will be more than enough bike, but damn the new DH rig is so fucking fun....wish I could bring both.

I land mid-day on Friday and will probably head toward Sandy Ridge to get an afternoon ride in. Free/primitive camping in the area?

Someone convince me why I shouldn't also bring my DH bike? Seems like there is alot of shuttle access freeride stuff no? Not to mention hood and bachelor bike parks.

I'll convince you.
    Unless you're going to Black Rock intending to hit the large features all geared up with armor, you just won't need the big bike in Oregon. If you think you're a "I own big features" kind of guy, but you haven't seen the one's at Black Rock, or aren't from Whistler, you might be underestimating what's there.
    My wife rode 11 straight days while I was laid up with the broken wing. She loved the riding but never reported anything as being technical. The locals would ask her, "what did you think about that rocky section?" and she would sheepishly ask, "what rocky section?"
    She wasn't bored, and didn't get to ride at the coast or up around Hood River like we'd planned. But she did ride at Sandy and at Oakridge and all over the Mac. Definitely thought all of it was heavily leaning toward flow. She's on a Warden.
    Disclaimer #1. My wife is a beast on technical terrain. She loves Pisgah. The steep rocky parts. And Italy. The parts that make Pisgah look easy, and flat, and smooth.
    Disclaimer #2. We (she) didn't ride everything in Oregon, and our friends out there are cross country oriented.
    Disclaimer #3. We have a 50% chance of moving there in the next 4-5 years and I would LOVE it if someone tells me that theres a bunch of chunky gnarly shit that we just missed. Please flame away. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Someone convince me why I shouldn't also bring my DH bike? Seems like there is alot of shuttle access freeride stuff no? Not to mention hood and bachelor bike parks.
    Because those two places, along with Ashland and Maybe Black Rock, are the only ones where you actually find a DH sled useful?

I'll convince you.
    Unless you're going to Black Rock intending to hit the large features all geared up with armor, you just won't need the big bike in Oregon. If you think you're a "I own big features" kind of guy, but you haven't seen the one's at Black Rock, or aren't from Whistler, you might be underestimating what's there.
    My wife rode 11 straight days while I was laid up with the broken wing. She loved the riding but never reported anything as being technical. The locals would ask her, "what did you think about that rocky section?" and she would sheepishly ask, "what rocky section?"
    She wasn't bored, and didn't get to ride at the coast or up around Hood River like we'd planned. But she did ride at Sandy and at Oakridge and all over the Mac. Definitely thought all of it was heavily leaning toward flow. She's on a Warden.
    Disclaimer #1. My wife is a beast on technical terrain. She loves Pisgah. The steep rocky parts. And Italy. The parts that make Pisgah look easy, and flat, and smooth.
    Disclaimer #2. We (she) didn't ride everything in Oregon, and our friends out there are cross country oriented.
    Disclaimer #3. We have a 50% chance of moving there in the next 4-5 years and I would LOVE it if someone tells me that theres a bunch of chunky gnarly shit that we just missed. Please flame away. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
    Thanks for the insight. I am actually looking forward to flow and a break from the never ending rock gardens. I am definitely not a big features guys, so it looks like the warden will be the only bike I need to bring.

Been watching lots of videos and can't get over how "groomed" everything looks compared to the stuff I am used to riding. Around here its usually 3 miles of rock gardens with the rare small berm followed by more endless tech.

Rode sandy ridge yesterday. Good stuff so smooth. Had killer free camping on the salmon.

Just rode Larson Rock in Oakridge. Sick!!!! Free shuttle to the top = dope.

Where to sleep tonight with water/river access?

So I figured out that you can basically camp anywhere you want in Oakridge.

Did the full Alpine loop yesterday. No shuttle. The 12 mile slog to the top is killer, but the ride down was amazing. Holy fuck it was hot though. Roasted to the core I scrambled back to Bend for a shower and AC.

Where to ride today if I get my legs back?

No follow up TR? Bring it mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post

Did the full Alpine loop yesterday. No shuttle.
    Impressive! I took the shuttle happily and climbed the last part.

Yea, my wife did the shuttle while I was laid up with the broken collarbone. She did the ATCA which apparently was amazing. By doing the shuttle, she had time (and energy) for the extra trail mileage.

I posted some pics in the "go ride and post pictures" thread. Not many photos since I was solo. In short I need to return ASAP. Oakridge is sick. Bend was soo dusty/dry.