Diesel Mags- Are you scared of your cat??

Well my wife is. Cat as in catalytic converter. Background- have 2007 Ram diesel, under warranty when wife was using truck the cat got totally plugged and have to be replaced. Wife was concerned that in future that on some back road where we couldn't run the truck hard to burn it out same could happen again. So she talked to the local diesel mechanic ( very respected) and he suggested removing the cat and replacing the chip with an after market controller ( can adjust for more power or better fuel econ) set for running with less back pressure with cat removed.

Well the controller head display is now dead and they are no longer being sold other than ebay for $2000. Still have the cat so that can be reinstalled if required.

Are people concerned about this problem
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

I have never owned a diesel but this problem doesn't sound exclusive to diesels.

Couple questions:

-how many miles were on the old cat that plugged up?

-if you ripped out the controller, could you reset the pcm and allow it to relearn? either by disconnecting the battery, turn the key in a specific pattern (I own a Chevy so I don't know how it works with Rams)

-do they test emissions where you live?

-also, is the current tune working for you? by what you wrote it sounds like everything is still intact and working properly but the ability to adjust the controller is lost

My diesel does not have a "cat"
    Some folks have used green diesel engineering tune to delete the egr withn excellent results and it still passes smog and is reversible

Hayduke Aug 7,1996 GS-Aug 26 2010
    HunterS March 17 09-Oct 24 14

6.7 ? My 06 5.9 gives me no cat grief, ball joints are another matter. If you are not yet a member the cumminsforum would be a better place to post a question. Members are very helpful and rog behavior is not tolerated.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

No cats and no problems on my Ford 7.3. That said spicing the old one back into the exhaust system should be pretty inexpensive so it'd be an easy solution too. Poor just get a different aftermarket controller and call it good.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

This dude's scared of a cat:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    No cats and no problems on my Ford 7.3. That said spicing the old one back into the exhaust system should be pretty inexpensive so it'd be an easy solution too. Poor just get a different aftermarket controller and call it good.
    Not sure if a different controller is an option as the reason the one we have is not available is I believe that the EPA fined them out of the market. That is very second hand.

yes its a "through a self-cleaning Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF)." though its very expensive to replace

As far the the first problem goes it was maybe 30,000km mark .
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

I assume you have the 6.7. There's were lots of software updates in the early days and the turbo tended to soot up because of the egr. A plugged dpf usually comes from driving nothing but short trips or a fuelling problem or a sensor problem. In any case there's no regen happening or it's incomplete.

If it is plugged the dealer can do a stationary regen using their computer. There's lots of programmers around but they're all legal now and don't support the dpf delete. Maybe some support a forced regen or at least display the fill level of the dpf. There's a tuner called "efi live" that's still around and supports a dpf delete but I have no personal experience with it.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.