Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: I've survived encephalitis (so far). Anybody else? Need humor. Brain is healing...

Sorry to hear J.
    Let me know if you need help with Ullr.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	690b.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	167926

Went to see Grateful-Not-To-Be-Dead over the weekend, day after I had my IV removed. Made it a work trip and visited my offices/warehouse too, so a nice twofer, as much as I could handle. Doc told me to bump up the bactrim for the plane ride and so far, no sign of catching new germies.

I had my IV taken out Thursday, stopped all anti-viral treatment from here and out, as well as the anti-cooagulant shit. I know for a fact now that many of my symptoms that started after I left the hospital were indeed a rare reaction to the shit I had to infuse for two weeks. Hallucinations, super easy agitation, streaks, changes in color, other visual disturbances, rashes, tremors, stuttering, problems speaking in general, more headaches, nausea, confusion, voices, high BP, shortness of breath, on and on. Worse was having to pair that with steroid that does same thing, so double-whammy.

It's been almost 6 full days and only now am I starting to feel like I'm just on steroids/bactrim and nothing else. Will take a few more days to fully get the anti-viral meds out of my system but I am for sure feeling less neurotic. I still don't recommend ever taking these unless it's to save your life or limb. Seriously. Gotta rash and the doc wants to give you these? Fuck that. Don't do it.

Bad stuff alone from prednisone... I now have steroid-induced Type 2 diabetes, glucose was at 154 yesterday, redistribution of fatty stuff...fat ankles, round face, little pooch around my belly, but I'm losing muscle mass. Lost 7 lbs so far. Balance is still way off, I catch myself constantly. Legs are so weak. Been practicing on a balance board (with a handrail close by) for past two days at home, and doing mild stretches and breathing techniques on the mat, also at home.

Taking coconut oil daily now with food, have been organic past decade anyway, zero sugars/carbs unless from a little fruit, lots of fish, omegas, organic grass fed yogurts, colostrum, probiotics, Vit D, Folic, potassium, calcium...lots of avocados, flax, spinach. Need other ideas if I am missing anything for the brains, I really feel diet is important here and may help with things that doctors don't think of.

I'm at risk of developing osteoporosis and having joint/tendon issues, so I have to be super careful right now. Couldn't even dance at the shows, hurt so much. Knees are for sure week right now. If I am allowed to taper in two weeks then I'll start my PT program to hopefully begin rebuilding more physically. Less pain around the heart since I stopped infusion treatments, but my arm looks like I'm a junky still, bruised to shit.

Social situations to me are now scary. I lost it in Target looking for things with a friend for tailgating. WTF. Can't talk on the phone and walk at the same time. I'm a shitty car passenger now, worse than before (backseat driver). Don't ask me to decide on anything, it's just too much for me right now. I lose things left and right, like my phone and wallet. I misspell my own name and many words now every time. NEVER did those thing before. Crying a lot, just after laughing. Sometimes I just end up spacing out and getting nothing done. So many people at the show, it ended up being a good exercise in general. People that I met didn't know, it was weird to play that, they probably thought I was on meth.

Work is hard for me still right now, but I must to keep the lights on and roof over my head. I'm so different, it's hard to organize thoughts into buckets like I did before. But I do feel like I am more detail-oriented at times. Could just be the meds. I am talking people's ears off at the moment. Still I feel drowsy/foggy in the head. Always tired. Very little short-term still. Post-its are my friend right now.

I have no concept of time. I am still trying to piece together the past month through revisiting old texts, emails, pics I sent, etc. I can now remember my neighbors' names upon first meeting, so that's good. Stuttering and speech has improved the past few days, that is also good. But I still get stuck on words that start with S, T or D, and it's worse if I am stressed or am trying to respond quickly. There's still a holdup in there somewhere.

Taking it day by day for sure. The vision and motor skills thing is such a huge thing for me to deal with. Remembering that one month ago I could not see my hand in front of my face and didn't know who I had talked to just moments before was a scary thing. Losing feeling in my face, tongue, blacking out, vomiting, not able to stand upright, major confusion...it was all like a very long stroke. Thankful for a second chance.

Just re-read all of your jokes as I forgot them from last week. Trying to rebuild neural pathways is different for sure.

oh shit. another internet stranger with internet vibes here. hang in there.

Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

Wow, all the best. Hope recovery is full and speedy.
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by klar View Post
    oh shit. another internet stranger with internet vibes here. hang in there.

Perfect for Canada Day. Eh.

Love the Frenchy's ashtray growing with each frame too.

Jax. Hang in there. The good thing about prednisone is that all the shitty side effects usually go away pretty quick after cessation of the med, sometimes improving rapidly even on the taper Elevated blood glucose, fluid retention, racing thoughts, lack of concentration, weird dreams, muscle wasting, bone and tendon susceptibility, all temporary. Yeah, there will be a more than a bit of PT in your future, but I'm confident you'll be kicking ass sooner rather than later - just don't get frustrated at slow progress, you WILL get back to normal.

You're tough and young and will maybe someday consider this the most drawn-out, excruciating "Type III" fun you ever had. Well maybe not, but at least something you can look back on in your old age and (kinda) laugh at.

Well, don't forget that you borrowed $100 from me and promised to pay me back before the weekend.

You went to see the Dead.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Right? Not bad. Better than being in a hospital. Keep getting better!

Holy fuck. Jax. I had no idea. I quit Facebook, we lost touch, and then this. It's heartbreaking, but damn Jax, I admire the strength & determination your'e facing this fucker with. When you come to Denver for your July MRI, hit me up if you want, I would love to help in any way possible, including having you over for some home-cooked, organic, brain-friendly dinner! Ullr and my pup would go along great

-Bernardo

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    You went to see the Dead.
    Booked and paid for months ago, hotel, flight, everything. Also had a family reunion and a work trip all in 3 days, all in S. Bay, doc approved. I wasn't even sure if I could make it two weeks ago. At this point, it was to collect an experience and not a thing. I'm tired from it. It was a risk. But life goes on regardless and it made me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by BurnHard View Post
    Holy fuck. Jax. I had no idea. I quit Facebook, we lost touch, and then this. It's heartbreaking, but damn Jax, I admire the strength & determination your'e facing this fucker with. When you come to Denver for your July MRI, hit me up if you want, I would love to help in any way possible, including having you over for some home-cooked, organic, brain-friendly dinner! Ullr and my pup would go along great

-Bernardo
    From the bubble to D now eh? So great to hear from you. I am not positive they will keep me too long at Swedish unless the news is bad/worse than it was. I live in the 'Boat now so my commute isn't that great. Ullr gets carsick now so he has to stay at home with a sitter...he's officially retired...I will keep you posted as I may need a guest bed when in Denver. I have a ride, but I can't do that trip back and forth in one day. Getting good and ready for more ativan for the next scan, those things are like monkeys with wrenches banging and tapping.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Well, don't forget that you borrowed $100 from me and promised to pay me back before the weekend.

Dad? Is that you?

But no, seriously, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post
    Jax. Hang in there. The good thing about prednisone is that all the shitty side effects usually go away pretty quick after cessation of the med, sometimes improving rapidly even on the taper Elevated blood glucose, fluid retention, racing thoughts, lack of concentration, weird dreams, muscle wasting, bone and tendon susceptibility, all temporary. Yeah, there will be a more than a bit of PT in your future, but I'm confident you'll be kicking ass sooner rather than later - just don't get frustrated at slow progress, you WILL get back to normal.

You're tough and young and will maybe someday consider this the most drawn-out, excruciating "Type III" fun you ever had. Well maybe not, but at least something you can look back on in your old age and (kinda) laugh at.
    Thank you for this. The hard part is reminding myself that 'drugs are bad mmmkay'. I have a note on my door that says it's the drugs, not me. I am actually fearing the taper. When I went from 100mg IV to 60 oral in a day (left hospital) I had tremendous pains in my flanks and back, sweats, all kinds of cray cray. Necessary evil. Shudder.

41 is young? Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    Dad? Is that you? .
    Now you've made me laugh.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Whoa Jax. Just getting caught up on here. Haven't been to the padded room in ages. It was like 10+ years ago we both lived in that small apartment complex on 30th street. You were one of the first mags that I actually met in real life. Hang in there!!!!

Damn man, really sorry to hear that but thankfully you're in good hands. Having your mind affected has gt to be stressful and extra scary, I have a history of tumors all over my body and I probably have 4 or 5 right now... I fear the day they go to my head. Thinking about you Jax.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    Booked and paid for months ago, hotel, flight, everything. Also had a family reunion and a work trip all in 3 days, all in S. Bay, doc approved. I wasn't even sure if I could make it two weeks ago. At this point, it was to collect an experience and not a thing. I'm tired from it. It was a risk. But life goes on regardless and it made me happy.
    You went to see The Dead! I am fucking jealous.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Whoa Jax. Just getting caught up on here. Haven't been to the padded room in ages. It was like 10+ years ago we both lived in that small apartment complex on 30th street. You were one of the first mags that I actually met in real life. Hang in there!!!!
    Holy shit man, how have you been? I can't believe it's been that long now. I should change the name to 'Bring out yer dead'. Good old St. Moritz in Boulder...my apt flooded there right before I moved out. Thanks for the vibes & hope you are doing well!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chuck.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	168020

Not a Chuck Norris fan, so this made me laugh in my dark humor way.

So glad your still topside Jax and on a path to recovery. Let me know if I can send you anything to cheer you up.

Two cowboys are driving a dirt road in Wyoming when they see a sheep with it's head stuck in a fence.
    First guy hits the brakes, runs across the road, unbuckles his jeans and starts ass-fuckking that sheep like it was his job.
    Second guy is incredulous. Standing with mouth open, can't utter a single word.
    First guy notices, pauses and says, "oh hey, did you want a piece of this?"
    Second guy runs over sticks his head in the fence.

Thinking of you, Jax.

I suck at remembering jokes, so can't help with that. If you, or anyone else here, haven't read the book Brain on Fire, it's a good read, and sounds a lot like what you are going through. Heal up.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Whats the difference between a garbanzo bean and a chickpea?

Ive never had a garbanzo bean on my face

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    Whats the difference between a garbanzo bean and a chickpea?

Ive never had a garbanzo bean on my face
    that is f'ing hilarious lol