Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Seriously. The responses in this thread are an awesome example of why I rarely come here anymore.
    Oh man, you've been missing out. Last week was like a booby fest. Boobies boobies boobies.......all over the place.

And coke.

And cookies
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by Zaeius View Post
    Im not clear on what version/size of the Slayer you were riding, but if it was the most recent (2011-2014) and they were both Large, then the Rocky is is actually the longer bike:

Reach
    Slayer - 431mm
    Mach 6 - 414mm

Wheelbase
    Slayer - 1169mm
    Mach 6 - 1154mm

The Mach 6 TT is 12mm longer but this mostly down to the slacker ST angle. Neither of these bikes are particularly long by modern standards but the Pivot is particularly short; the reach on the XL is the same as the medium Slayer.

Curious if you can expand on how you feel the Pivot is more stable with the shorter reach and wheelbase.
    I must've been on a medium slayer then. I'm 5'10" and o the line between sizes most of the time, so I very well could have been on a smaller size of the slayer. It was a used bike and I never measured it out when I had it.

With that caveat, the pivot was more stable for me due to having a longer reach, slightly bigger wheels that I do no notice roll through holes better, and just better suspension performance.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Oh man, you've been missing out. Last week was like a booby fest. Boobies boobies boobies.......all over the place.

And coke.

And cookies
    WTF?!?!?! I missed out on cookies?!?!?!
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Quote Originally Posted by Arty50 View Post
    WTF?!?!?! I missed out on cookies?!?!?!

Fine you can have one of the left over ones from last week, but just one.

Based on that picture, I assume you mean I can have one plate. Thank you.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Also, I should add that a really want a Mach 6 also.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    No shit. I can never hope to post a review of anything with the thoroughness of some people here, and the responses in this thread just serve to tell me not to bother at all. We're now at the point of shitting on people because they try to post a non-pro review and don't do it well enough?
    I am guessing a lot of this is pointed at me. What I'm about to say sounds super dickish...

I don't think everyone should review shit. Simple as that. Reviewing product should be done by someone who has a strong understanding of the space in which the product lives. That doesn't mean you need to be a pro but it does mean you need to have a very strong understanding of the product, how to manipulate it and your overall desires of the product compared to others in the market.

Let me paint a picture. I love riding sleds but I SUCK. For me to comment on performance of a product is unfair to the product, the company and future would be buyers for the simple fact there is going to be a lot of Jeff's lack of understanding, lack of ability and overall lack of sport expertise in the way of the "review". If I were to comment on a sled part it'd likely be a poor opinion because I don't know how to best utilize the adjustments, I don't have the fundemental skill to use the product right and I don't fully understand the sport. I'd be better off listening, not talking, in the sled world. Which I do!

Just my $0.02.

EDIT: I really don't think Dunf did that bad of a job - but he missed a few key points - I also know he's a super smart articulate dude that I'm sure could be one of the better product reviewers out there as his handle on the English language is far superior to that of my own. I don't think being critical of reviews is a bad thing.

Anyone who reads a review from some random, semi-anonymous person on the internet and then makes their buying decision based on that singular opinion is a fucking idiot.

That doesn't make the reviews worthless though. If you (JJ) reviewed some snowmobile part and said nothing more than "my jong ass was able to install this thing with minimal fuss, it hasn't broken yet, and it works fine" then I already know more than I would have if I'd just read the company's marketing hype. A good review is great, a mediocre review is fine too. If Dunfee wants to offer his $.02 on his bike, that shouldn't be discouraged. Whether or not I'll listen to him when I make my next bike purchase is entirely up to me.

JJ, it actually wasn't directed at you at all. But I do agree with toast, everyone should be encouraged to review things, because they may offer value to someone. I don't think asking questions of the reviewer is bad, or providing constructive criticism, so long as it's done in a respectful manner (which your first post was, imo). But just shitting on them because you don't like them or don't like the review, that's fucking lame.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Anyone who reads a review from some random, semi-anonymous person on the internet and then makes their buying decision based on that singular opinion is a fucking idiot.

That doesn't make the reviews worthless though. If you (JJ) reviewed some snowmobile part and said nothing more than "my jong ass was able to install this thing with minimal fuss, it hasn't broken yet, and it works fine" then I already know more than I would have if I'd just read the company's marketing hype. A good review is great, a mediocre review is fine too. If Dunfee wants to offer his $.02 on his bike, that shouldn't be discouraged. Whether or not I'll listen to him when I make my next bike purchase is entirely up to me.
    Well that's cause you are smarter than the average consumer. Trust me. Go to Pinkbike and read the comments if you need to see what I'm saying.

You do have a point though. The self appointed pedestal of the reviewer is an interesting thing these days (and one I'm extremely guilty of myself)...

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyJim View Post
    Well that's cause you are smarter than the average consumer. Trust me. Go to Pinkbike and read the comments if you need to see what I'm saying.
    heh. true. But if some jackass from pinkbike is going to buy something based one what some other 13 year old wrote on the internet, then he deserves the shitty products that he gets.

And also, what Danno said; your original comment might have been a bit preachy, but whatever. Some of the other comments were just super douchey though. Or maybe I'm just pissed off I missed the boobs and cookies.

maybe I'm just pissed off I missed the boobs and cookies.
    Man, it was pretty sweet...
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by Arty50 View Post
    Based on that picture, I assume you mean I can have one plate. Thank you.
    Will you be posting a cookie review?

Obviously to gauge your bona fides we'll need to know what other cookies you have experience with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post

Obviously to gauge your bona fides we'll need to know what other cookies you have experience with.
    Does Arty have a strong understanding of the space in which the product lives? I doubt it.

Thanks for the comparison Dunfee.
    "If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough."

Let's get this critical thread back on track

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms, their energy. Your cares and tensions will drop away like the leaves of Autumn." --John Muir

"welcome to the hacienda, asshole." --s.p.c.

Quote Originally Posted by nest View Post
    Does Arty have a strong understanding of the space in which the product lives?

Speaking from past experience, he has a pretty good handle of "things that go in mah face"

I think the biggest question is whether or not this bike is worth the upgrade from my previous pivot

Hey Dunfee, your bike sucks

Quote Originally Posted by nest View Post
    Does Arty have a strong understanding of the space in which the product lives? I doubt it.
    My name's Arty, and I've eaten more cookies and banged more quiff and pissed more blood and stomped more ass that all of you numbnuts put together.

dblatto, thank you for getting us back on track.

Does it come in red?
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Does it come in red?
    Do try and keep up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Do try and keep up.
    That was my point....

www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms, their energy. Your cares and tensions will drop away like the leaves of Autumn." --John Muir

"welcome to the hacienda, asshole." --s.p.c.

Looks like somebody's cookies got cold.

Dunfee's review was better than some of the crap posted on other "serious" websites. Look at MTBR for example

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Dunfee's review was better than some of the crap posted on other "serious" websites. Look at MTBR for example
    Maybe, but as a writer who's in charge of this site: If you have to post 'content' as your job here, put some fucking effort into your work Dumbfee!

The rest of us can and will write crappy reviews, I'm not gonna get my panties wadded up over that.