Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 51 to 68 of 68
  1. #51
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tahoe
    Posts
    12,251
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Skied the Wasatch for the first time a few years ago and it quickly struck me just how small that area is - I was kind of surprised. Seems odd to me that any locals would be for more resort expansion.
    They really aren't all that small it's just the vast majority ski Little or Big Cottonwood or very nearby.
    And the Uintas are closer to Salt Lake than the eastside is to Tahoe.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    10,703
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Skied the Wasatch for the first time a few years ago and it quickly struck me just how small that area is - I was kind of surprised. Seems odd to me that any locals would be for more resort expansion.
    Check out the poll at the bottom of getoutside's link, almost 13k votes with 78% opposed. There's also a regional breakdown available and the only states where a majority favor the idea are on the east coast. Resort expansion is never popularly supported here. The ski industry is just a powerful lobby, and in this case things are further compounded by the fact that the ground is privately owned and this area is in Utah "Any Development Is Good Development" County.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bromontana View Post
    Right, natural progression to ask for a better road in AF in 5 years, a base area. A restaurant, etc.
    There's no way that isn't their long-term plan. I'm sure it's Utah County's long-term goal too. They just have to take their time boiling the frog.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Park City
    Posts
    3,028
    I've heard the plan is for a tram?
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    10,703
    If you're referring to the proposed AF Twins tram, AFAIK they've dropped that idea (for now).

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    644
    dan's right. just chairs for now but the other items mentioned, all remain as long term targets

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Sandy by the front
    Posts
    1,809
    Quote Originally Posted by getoutside View Post
    dan's right. just chairs for now but the other items mentioned, all remain as long term targets
    I don't have a dog in this fight either way, I don't ski Snowbird and have no plans to do so. With SB owning the land would they not be able to shut down all access to the property they own, no hiking, no camping, no ATV's etc?

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Somewhere around the west
    Posts
    2,590
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    I don't have a dog in this fight either way, I don't ski Snowbird and have no plans to do so. With SB owning the land would they not be able to shut down all access to the property they own, no hiking, no camping, no ATV's etc?
    They allow all that in Mineral Basin.
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    5,382
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Check out the poll at the bottom of getoutside's link, almost 13k votes with 78% opposed.
    A KSL poll doesn't hold any weight, for anything, ever.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    in this case things are further compounded by the fact that the ground is privately owned.
    In my opinion, private property trumps all. Protesting a ski area for putting up lifts on land it owns? That's what ski areas do.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    There's no way that isn't their long-term plan. I'm sure it's Utah County's long-term goal too. They just have to take their time boiling the frog.
    Good point. I'd be surprised if the AF road isn't improved to build their only their lifts. But that is no wilderness they are expanding on.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    10,703
    Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    A KSL poll doesn't hold any weight, for anything, ever.
    I never said it was definitive in any way. Still, it's telling given the majority of KSL's audience.

    Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    In my opinion, private property trumps all. Protesting a ski area for putting up lifts on land it owns? That's what ski areas do.
    They own basically all of Superior too. Would you be OK with a tram up the SE face? Private property owners get told what they can and cannot do with the ground every day.

    Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    But that is no wilderness they are expanding on.
    With the exception of legal (and quite difficult) motorized access, IMO Mary Ellen is on par with White Pine as far as wilderness character.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    5,382
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I never said it was definitive in any way. Still, it's telling given the majority of KSL's audience..
    C'mon you were implying it meant something. I don't think it's telling at all. Did a bunch of BC skiers post the poll to their facebook page? Maybe. I can't believe all the stay-at-home-moms that read KSL are opposed to Snowbird or are frequent skiers.


    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    They own basically all of Superior too. Would you be OK with a tram up the SE face? Private property owners get told what they can and cannot do with the ground every day.
    I wouldn't be OK with it but it's their property not mine. A ski area has ski lifts, what do you expect? (And not to split hairs, but I though they owned a small part of it. Someone else owns most of it, but I could be wrong.)


    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    With the exception of legal (and quite difficult) motorized access, IMO Mary Ellen is on par with White Pine as far as wilderness character.
    fair point, i'm more thinking of that white-trash zone below it. Last time I fished there there were ATVers driving into the water to scare their female passengers 10 feet from me.

    I didn't catch anything that day.

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    10,703
    Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    C'mon you were implying it meant something. I don't think it's telling at all. Did a bunch of BC skiers post the poll to their facebook page? Maybe. I can't believe all the stay-at-home-moms that read KSL are opposed to Snowbird or are frequent skiers.
    FB/viral antics are definitely possible, forgot about that momentarily (though there's no evidence that actually happened). I think the larger point stands though, ski area expansion in the Wasatch is not popularly supported.

    Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I wouldn't be OK with it but it's their property not mine. A ski area has ski lifts, what do you expect? (And not to split hairs, but I though they owned a small part of it. Someone else owns most of it, but I could be wrong.)
    Any and all private property being fair game for ski area expansion is a very slippery slope.

    Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    fair point, i'm more thinking of that white-trash zone below it. Last time I fished there there were ATVers driving into the water to scare their female passengers 10 feet from me.

    I didn't catch anything that day.
    Tibble? Yeah, that place gets hammered.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 04-15-2016 at 07:32 PM.

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Behind the Zion Curtain
    Posts
    3,028
    The problem with the "It's their land and they should be able to do what they want with it.." argument is that they also operate on public land. Not Snowbird as much, but most of the resorts rely on land you and I own. They then turn around and use the it's our land argument on expansions they want. If they want to claim the private property angle they should relinquish their operations on public land. Or, I suppose everything is for the greater good...

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    4,420
    Yep public land is ours and they must make the case to us that their intended use is better than letting nature take its toll. And it never is.

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Reno
    Posts
    433
    UT is the new CA

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tahoe
    Posts
    12,251
    You shut yer dirty whore mouth!
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Posts
    10,756
    sposedly there is someone on the opposition facefuck page with land he is subleasing
    powder pondos in look for the baker tent in the middle of their groomer
    i post n hang out here cause it's a community of good peeps that enhance my irl life
    ifin i thought posting on ksl would do the same i'd post there
    but its a bunch of opinionated assholes with way to much cube life or mom life time on their hands and not so many ski bums
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -
    ski on in eternal peace

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    SE Alaska
    Posts
    11,693
    RIP Mary Ellen. I sold my stake in Utah and moved to Alaska. In my 15 or so years touring in the Wasatch, I only skied through Mary Ellen once or twice, and when I was there, I shared it with the heli folks, so I can't say that I have a huge beef with the issue. Hopefully it won't proliferate into something more than we can't comprehend or anticipate now.
    Attachment 187290

    I enjoyed my time in the Wasatch, but when I come back to visit, the crowds kind of change the experience. It's easy to avoid them, but the place really has changed dramatically in the last five years.
    Last edited by Trackhead; 09-05-2016 at 11:36 AM.

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Southeast New York
    Posts
    6,715
    Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    RIP Mary Ellen. I sold my stake in Utah and moved to Alaska. In my 15 or so years touring in the Wasatch, I only skied through Mary Ellen once or twice, and when I was there, I shared it with the heli folks, so I can't say that I have a huge beef with the issue. Hopefully it won't proliferate into something more than we can't comprehend or anticipate now.
    Attachment 187290

    I enjoyed my time in the Wasatch, but when I come back to visit, the crowds kind of change the experience. It's easy to avoid them, but the place really has changed dramatically in the last five years.
    I was wondering where you had disappeared to. I miss your TR's.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •