Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Surfing the pavement

I want a long board. I used to skate, like, when I was 9. So I'm a little out of touch.

What do I pick up? Brand, length, style...
    I don't want a super long deck, or one of those ones with the cutouts and really loose trucks that are made for ultra-carvy skating down hills and things...just your average, not-expensive, decent long board, maybe a very slightly turned up tail...

thanks. About the only brand I know of is Sector 9?
    Thrutchworthy Production Services

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian
    I want a long board. I used to skate, like, when I was 9. So I'm a little out of touch.

What do I pick up? Brand, length, style...
    I don't want a super long deck, or one of those ones with the cutouts and really loose trucks that are made for ultra-carvy skating down hills and things...just your average, not-expensive, decent long board, maybe a very slightly turned up tail...

thanks. About the only brand I know of is Sector 9?
    That's because they make good stuff. I don't know alot about long boards either, but I do like it when they aren't absurdly stiff and reboundy, because when I hit dip and crack and stuff I like the board to soak it up, cause I'm not that good.

I don't really have suggestions. If you aren't into powerslides and stuff, get some big and soft wheels to suck up vibrations. I like the big green ones.
    ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.

coo, thanks ass.

I just want to cruise, and get around the city without lugging a bike, putting on fruitboots, etc. Seems like a deck is the right way to do it.

Not too stiff board, soft wheels, sector 9, check.

Any other comments welcome.
    Thrutchworthy Production Services

Look at Skull Skates as well. I've been riding the All City deck for a while now. It's not too long, and works well on the street and in the bowls.

www.skullskates.com
    Martha's just polishing the brass on the Titanic....

Thumbs up

Sector9 is pretty good for buying a full board, I have the Luke Nosewalker, which is fun for big parking lots or parking structures but too long for regular street stuff.

Look into Loaded Boards we carry htem in our shop, couple of the bigger boards (Vangaurd) come with Abec 11's the green ones mentioned above. Not cheap but good hardware, trucks and a nice feel.

Oh and don't do hills in flip flops it will go poorly.
    Skiing, where my mind is even if my body isn't.

http://www.landyachtz.com/

Check these guys out as well.
    If there is, in fact, a Heaven and a Hell, all we know for sure is that Hell will be a viciously overcrowded version of Phoenix...
    -Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by CaddyDaddy77
    Oh and don't do hills in flip flops it will go poorly.
    I agree with the above. I will never ever ever make that mistake again.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

NOOOO, never buy a full sector nine get up. the decks are good, but the bearings and trucks they put on are crap (greaseball bearings and pivot trucks). The trucks have horrible turning radii, and speed wobble at low speeds if you keep them loose enough to carve. The bearings will seize up super quick especially if you don't grease/clean regularly. I'd suggest Randal II trucks and swiss bones bearings. Yes, you'll pay more, but you'll appreciate the better bearings and Randal IIs don't speed wobble. Get wide trucks too, they'll be more stable, and I'd suggest wheels 75mm or bigger (kryptonics has some nice ones that you can find deals on). Make sure you have a nice runout at the bottom of the hill, I've definitely made that mistake before, and it's not pretty (and I was in flip flops too).

http://www.tahoelongboards.com/viewp...p?productid=15

Nice boards, but some speed wobble with stock trucks. Think Randall IIs.

visit my buddy's site: www.milehighskates.com. pretty much anything they sell is good stuff. plus, they are colorado based, so you will be buying local. who knows, local pickup might be an option. he is very friendly to boot, so email him and ask questions away. who knows, he might even be up for a skate sesh...

all of the brands mentioned in this post are good brands. i even hear that sector 9 has gullwing and randall trucks on their completes now, so that might be an option as well. loaded boards are way cool. they are made with laminates/many layers of horozontally pressed wood. they flex and skate a lot like a snowboard. ABEC 11 wheels are very good (the green ones everybody is talking about).

now, bring on the skate steeze

edit** upon looking at his site, he dosen't seem to have any longboards. check back again soon, or email him about what he has...
    Last edited by SLCMunchie; 04-29-2005 at 12:17 PM.

A few months ago I received a Tahoe Longboards Fusion 39 as a gift. Absolutely beautiful board, rides really smooth. You might find their longer models a bit big for commuting/running errands, but it's a probably just a matter of personal preference.
    Lots of sweet options out there. Check out the Landyachtz Urban Assault- it has a lowered deck that makes pushing it around a lot easier (it's avail. at http://www.solidskate.com).

Quote Originally Posted by CougarHunter
    http://www.landyachtz.com/

Check these guys out as well.
    very popular in canada, at a modest price

yo b-money-

if you are thinking about chi-town, it is nearly too flat to be any fun. i ride mine in parking decks and short distances and that is about it.

i would suggest beater bmx bikes...
    Craig Kelly is my co-pilot.

Buy Your Lift Tickets in Advance and Save

the only skateboard i really liked the feel of was a Lib Tech big board.

i like the beater bmx idea!

30 year olds with skateboards look cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by Tap
    i like the beater bmx idea!

And 30 year olds on beater bmxs doesn`t?

Personally I love my G&S Fibreflex 42" cutaway for flatland longboarding. I use Seismic Trucks and Kryptonics 75 mm soft wheels. Sweet setup which I ordered from www.sk8supply.com , check out the G&S boards here www.fibreflexskate.com

Clitus, for what I think you want to use a skate for, you don't want a traditional longboard. With all the bumpy roads, curbs, sidewalk cracks etc., you want something with convace, a kicktail, and some soft wheels. True longboards are designed for smooth pavement. You don't want to stop everytime you need to drop off a curb, or endo every time you come across a big crack. I ride a BareDeck w/ Indy 159s and some fairly soft kryptos. It's prolly about a 40". Think of it like a big regular skateboard, a GS board if you will. Great for carving and enough manueverablilty to navigate the city. Honestly, I'd like something a little smaller. You never get up to true long board speed in the city. You should try mine out. From where you live, try taking the bus toward Cherry Creek Mall then riding the bike path all the way home. Great tank top scene.

Indeed we do. But we're havin' a wicked time of it.

As posted in another thread- http://www.libskates.com

I'm a large marge and these are sweet if you need a solid plank under foot.

The advice about urban longboarding is sound though- 40" or less with really soft wheels is the way to go in the city. And flip flops always (who needs toe skin?)

i ride a sector9 46" w/ a slight kick on it on randal IIs with 85mm med hardness kryptos. hard enough i can slide without bad flat spots, but soft enough for a nice smooth ride around new york and good hold for carving. its really a question of preference - try a few peoples boards out and see what you like... the kicktail comes in handy - i wouldnt commute on a pintail or a heavier setup. i do like the length though - ive hit ~45 mph on it and it was still cruisin.

cheesy over 30 guys

fine

word.

geeez, you'd think i'd hit a nerve!

hey, as long as your DOIN' it and not looking like a poseur (i saw a lot of that in SF), then i'm good!

geeez, you'd think i'd hit a nerve!
    No nerve hit. I in fact look cheesey as hell longboarding. Then again, when you're 6'3", 235lbs. with a lot of red hair/beard you look pretty silly doing most things.

Dogtown Video

As long as it feels good, fuck the gaypers.

Funny long board action on this video link (bottom of this page)
    http://www.evillelakeeffect.com/dogtown
    Last edited by Baconzoo; 05-05-2005 at 02:15 AM.

Sims taperkick. Best damn board ever made. Tuffy is that Biker Sherlock 2nd pic? third's gotta be alva...
    Last edited by MARSHALL TUCKER; 05-04-2005 at 02:21 PM.

cab, salba and alva
    fine