Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Want to buy a ski area?

Northeast Oregon, Spout Springs. Only 1.25mil http://oridx.com/agent_specific_list...page_current=1

Silver Mountain in Wallace Idaho is also for sale. JELD-WEN has wanted out for three years. The ski area has positive EBITDA. They couldn't get it sold for $2.5 mill in 2012, and they just want it off their books.

Form a non profit society. Put in 2,000 volunteer hours with like minded locals, lawyers, MBA's, accountants, and founders of other large coops. Form a non-profit community service coop. Negotiate hard. Hire an amazing manager with tons of non-profit ski area experience who can (and is not afraid to) do everything from fix a lift, to clean a toilet. Work tirelessly to ensure your survival.

There, now go buy it.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by telebobski View Post
    Silver Mountain in Wallace Idaho is also for sale. JELD-WEN has wanted out for three years. The ski area has positive EBITDA. They couldn't get it sold for $2.5 mill in 2012, and they just want it off their books.
    I'm curious whether Spout Springs has a positive EBITDA as well.
    Last edited by chowtownsfinest; 06-14-2015 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    Form a non profit society. Put in 2,000 volunteer hours with like minded locals, lawyers, MBA's, accountants, and founders of other large coops. Form a non-profit community service coop. Negotiate hard. Hire an amazing manager with tons of non-profit ski area experience who can (and is not afraid to) do everything from fix a lift, to clean a toilet. Work tirelessly to ensure your survival.

There, now go buy it.
    Funny Gary, I was talking to the GM of our Local Non-profit (a non-profit that makes a ton of money and plows it right back in) this past season about the entire Co-op idea and we both agree that the key lies within the "Hire an amazing manager with tons of non-profit ski area experience who can (and is not afraid to) do everything from fix a lift, to clean a toilet."

In this day an age most people with that kind of experience and skill set are just not interested in working that hard only for the passion and love of the sport. Because that is what it takes as you can attest.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Wikipedia calls it a "modest ski area", 530 vertical feet.

100 Maggots chip in for resort and sleds. Open to us, and our guests only.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I'm sure mountain riders alliance has a high limit credit card they can put it on.

Silver's a goofy place, and maybe doomed as a ski resort, but I've had some really great days there.

Quote Originally Posted by telebobski View Post
    I love Silver, they get some great snow and the layout is very cool. It used to be called Jackass Ski Hill back when the mine was running and it was just a rope tow/t-bar. Silver Mountain is much better for marketing. Not sure I would drink water from there, the mines left that place a polluted shitshow. EPA did a good job of cleaning it up though.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

How do you make a small fortune with a ski area?
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    Create a destination and develop the real estate. not typically from operations

Quote Originally Posted by ghettostyle View Post
    Create a destination and develop the real estate. not typically from operations
    No, duh: start with a large fortune.

QFT^^^^
    One of the former owners of Shames used to joke to us that "why not try the nonprofit coop idea, we ran it as a non-profit corporation for years"...
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion View Post
    Funny Gary, I was talking to the GM of our Local Non-profit (a non-profit that makes a ton of money and plows it right back in) this past season about the entire Co-op idea and we both agree that the key lies within the "Hire an amazing manager with tons of non-profit ski area experience who can (and is not afraid to) do everything from fix a lift, to clean a toilet."

In this day an age most people with that kind of experience and skill set are just not interested in working that hard only for the passion and love of the sport. Because that is what it takes as you can attest.
    If you're talking about who I think you're talking about, he was the best boss I've ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    Start with a large fortune...

Unfortunately.

Repeat comment...sorry.

Cool

I wish I had some money

Quote Originally Posted by PassTheDutchie View Post
    No, duh: start with a large fortune.
    Was just answering the question...

Spout Springs is a nice little area. I've never ridden the lifts, but have done skin laps there en route to and from the Wallowas a few times. Buildings and grounds appear to be tidy and well-maintained.

I always thought lookout pass was originally jackass? Oh well, been wrong for years.

Back when it was silverhorn that was a seriously sketchy road, but great that it was closed mon-wed (maybe Thursday?). The first day after being closed was awesome a large percentage of the time.

Also, should have bought a house in Kellog just before the gondy went in. They were selling for back taxes.
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Granite gorgeous should go cheep enough that you don’t even have to open it as a ski area. You could just fucking live there as is. Home sweet home.

Name:  B105735E-4FA9-403E-8349-F218E096A078.jpeg
Views: 1065
Size:  133.3 KB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1B891455-500A-4DF5-957E-9D06BB9C2E39.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	606.1 KB 
ID:	415837

https://snowbrains.com/granite-gorge...-05-09-142317/

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    Granite gorgeous should go cheep enough that you don’t even have to open it as a ski area. You could just fucking live there as is. Home sweet home.

Name:  B105735E-4FA9-403E-8349-F218E096A078.jpeg
Views: 1065
Size:  133.3 KB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1B891455-500A-4DF5-957E-9D06BB9C2E39.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	606.1 KB 
ID:	415837

https://snowbrains.com/granite-gorge...-05-09-142317/
    Fuck Yeah.

”The resort offers Cosmic Tubing with glow lighting and a DJ on Saturday nights.”

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Spout is still for sale. Could be a hybrid touring/single lift area. Tons of snow

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

When I met the absentee owner of the local ski hill ( lives in Vancover ) he asked what I did to which I replied I'm retired

He said " wow that sounds good I'd like to be retired but i bought a ski hill "
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know