Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 111
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    28,169

    Volvo XC70 T6 Wagon

    I know, it's not a EuroSpecRS6AvantWithA6speedManualAndRocketBoxTGRsp ecial so save it.

    We're on our 4th BMW X5 and are having all too familiar 'jittery' issues with the electronic transmission. Honestly, ever since BM went to this crap gearbox (insert James May's all-too-accurate description) it's been the same problems: jumpy, jittery, gear shifts, the occasional refusal to downshift in traffic/highway passing, and a weird pulsating gears thing on acceleration... So as much as a BMW fanboi as we've been we're fucking done with X5s (as much as we love everything else about them).

    It's wife's every day driver, and we found a smoking deal on a Volvo XC70 T6 Wagon that we're considering. Love the styling, space, HP, and usability of the XC70 T6 but am not sure as the issues that the model may have.

    Any experiences out there in TGR land?

    I'm sure it's more stable than a Honda Pilot on a slow, icy turn, just to save y'all some typing if it matters.
    I still call it The Jake.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Wasatch
    Posts
    6,200
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    I know, it's not a EuroSpecRS6AvantWithA6speedManualAndRocketBoxTGRsp ecial so save it.

    We're on our 4th BMW X5 and are having all too familiar 'jittery' issues with the electronic transmission. Honestly, ever since BM went to this crap gearbox (insert James May's all-too-accurate description) it's been the same problems: jumpy, jittery, gear shifts, the occasional refusal to downshift in traffic/highway passing, and a weird pulsating gears thing on acceleration... So as much as a BMW fanboi as we've been we're fucking done with X5s (as much as we love everything else about them).

    It's wife's every day driver, and we found a smoking deal on a Volvo XC70 T6 Wagon that we're considering. Love the styling, space, HP, and usability of the XC70 T6 but am not sure as the issues that the model may have.

    Any experiences out there in TGR land?

    I'm sure it's more stable than a Honda Pilot on a slow, icy turn, just to save y'all some typing if it matters.
    No first-hand experience, but friends have had them. The downside to it is that parts can be expensive when the fancy shit breaks, but it can't be worse than your bimmer. If I had the right deal on one, I would go for it.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,822
    Wow, you've turned "boring" into an entire lifestyle.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    TennesseeJed
    Posts
    10,347
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamespio View Post
    Wow, you've turned "boring" into an entire lifestyle.
    Says the guy who bought a Honda Pilot.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

    Brain dead and made of money.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mental Vacation!
    Posts
    2,292
    Nice ride! Parts And repair at the dealer can be pricey so find a good repair guy. I wouldn't imagine it's more than BMW. With breaks especially, use Volvo parts. Everything else in my experience tends to squeal. Super comfortable couch on wheels. Hopefully it's pre certified with 100k warranty.

    I'd go for it!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasatch
    Posts
    6,625
    It's safe
    My sisters is going strong
    It's safe
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

    So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....


    Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

    8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

    2021/2022 (13/15)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    16,772
    Volvo guy here, that is a great car, but like any Yuro brand can be pricey to work on. Buying your parts from on-line sources is key as is having a great Indie mechanic that doesn't rape you. Go here and read up. SS is a great forum for a Volvo owner. http://forums.swedespeed.com/forumdi...70-%282008-%29
    The key is having a complete repair history so you know what you are getting IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    808
    ^^^^ great advice for any euro car.

    My parents have a 2005, it's been a great car. It's not cheap to own but preventive and schedule maintenance goes a long way. I love the xc70 in the snow with the snow tires on (general altimax). The low center of gravity and heavy weight makes for a very nice snow car.

    Volvos are a bit like Saabs IMO...sometimes you go to fix something and you wonder who designed it to be so complicated...my old 850 had 2 fuel pumps..wtf. Quirky cars for quirky people.

    I like the xc70 they best out of the Volvo fleet

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wasatch Back: 7000'
    Posts
    11,959
    My wife drives an XC60. Safe, great in snow, decent pick up (300ish bhp), handles nicely w/ 20" rims, seats are more comfy than my german cars, but underwhelming brakes.
    A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
    ― Milton Friedman

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    not where the most snow was last night...
    Posts
    384
    they're pretty good.
    what about a 535xi wagon? find one CPO sell it with 5k miles and/or 6 months left on CPO warranty, repeat/buy another one. Guy at work has one, downpipes and ecu flash and it is fast as fak.
    When seconds count...ski patrol, SAR or the cops are only minutes away...

    If they call it Tourist Season, why cant we shoot them?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    5,071
    Old saying is that Volvos run forever. They run poorly but they run forever. See: https://stevenhartsite.wordpress.com...volvo-bashers/

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    9,224
    I wouldn't hesitate if I were you, depending on condition, mileage, how it was previously maintained. I really like my XC70, but what I'm lacking is the T6. I just have the NA 3.2 and it is SLOW. The T6 is a huge improvement. If I found a good deal on one, I'd trade mine in a heartbeat.

    You'll love the Volvo. I've driven a huge variety of cars, and the Volvo never ceases to impress me with it's level of refinement in the cabin for the price. Fantastic fit and finish, very functional, and an interior that's just kind of soothing if that makes any sense. Ours has every bell and whistle the company offered, so although it's 7 years old, we still feel no big need to get into anything newer. Whenever people get into our car they're typically shocked that (A) it's an '08 yet it looks so modern on the inside, and (B) that it's so luxurious. On par if not better than many of the Audi/BMW/Merc interiors we were cross shopping at the time.

    Ours just turned 100,000 the other day. Trans and engine are still silky smooth as if it were new, and everything works great. That said, we are ON IT when it comes to maintenance. We have our independent Volvo shop we like to go to, and although it ain't cheap, we follow their recommendations. The main thing is that the XC70's trans is it's weak point. If you go with the manufacturer's recommendation of fluid changes every gazillion miles, it's likely to fail on you. Most shops and forums correctly recommend instead doing it like every 40k or 60k miles. I forget which, but with as expensive as a new trans would be, I'm not taking the chance. So far, so good. Even with 100k on the clock, everything is still as tight as a drum with that car. Typical Volvo solidness.

    Don't let people scare you with how expensive they are to maintain. If you're used to a BMW, then a Volvo's not going to be any big deal. Probably cheaper if anything. I've had no problem finding cheap OEM parts online, like some of the fun factory accessories. (Get the dog gate! It's awesome!)

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Alpental
    Posts
    6,314
    long time xc70 owner. Some of the earlier models had transmission issues @90-120K but I think these were fixed on anything newer than 2004. Not a cheap car to maintain but probably no worse than the X5. I wish the mpg was a little better (18/22). Handles well in the snow but only as good as the tires on it. Best seats ever.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    9,224
    Quote Originally Posted by Bcar View Post
    they're pretty good.
    what about a 535xi wagon? find one CPO sell it with 5k miles and/or 6 months left on CPO warranty, repeat/buy another one. Guy at work has one, downpipes and ecu flash and it is fast as fak.
    Great recommendation, BUT I was actively looking for one when I was shopping and had a heck of a time finding one (with reasonably low miles...I was NOT going to buy a high-mileage Euro ANYTHING). I gave up on my search after a month of looking and just went with the XC70. Much more available. I was also looking for a V70R and also had no luck. Seems that MOST people with V70Rs, 535xi wagons, A4/6 Avants, etc., hang onto them until they have like 200,000 miles on them and they still want a fortune for them. They don't let them go until they are thoroughly done with the car. That's a great sign of how awesome those cars are, but it definitely makes it tough to find a good deal on a used one, let alone finding one at all.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    9,224
    Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    Best seats ever.
    SOOOOOO TRUE! I drove cross country with my XC70...twice in a week. Like 1700 miles with no stops coming back to Montana, except for gas, food, and bathroom breaks of course. After 24 hours of straight driving, my back felt great and I had no aches. Those seats are freaking amazing.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,237
    Own a 2010 non turbo. It's like driving a boat. A deck boat.
    Turn radius of a Kenworth.

    Has as much or more cargo space than most midsize SUVs.

    It's been a serviceable car for 5 years but I'm tired of it. It is boring to its very core. Our other two cars are a 528 and 335(just sold it). So that makes it all that more boring when I have to drive it.
    I'm sure the turbo version is a big improvement

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Not Brooklyn
    Posts
    7,875
    My in-laws have one without the turbo. I don't like it much except for the shape and the seats. My first thought upon driving it was "this feels a lot like my old '94 Volvo 960 wagon!"

    Compared to somewhat comparable German cars I've driven (X3, X5, A4, 3 series, E class) it just feels like a much older car. The Volvo has both a harsher ride than and inferior handling to all of the above. It's a shame because I like wagons and I'm too cheap to buy a fancy German car.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    16,772
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    I was also looking for a V70R and also had no luck. Seems that MOST people with V70Rs, 535xi wagons, A4/6 Avants, etc., hang onto them until they have like 200,000 miles on them and they still want a fortune for them. They don't let them go until they are thoroughly done with the car. That's a great sign of how awesome those cars are, but it definitely makes it tough to find a good deal on a used one, let alone finding one at all.
    There it is, my V70R has 145k on it now and at this point I am redoing everything possible to keep it in "like a new car shape". The pictures of the V90CC (Cross Country) have me thinking that maybe the replacement car for my VR, but I will just have to wait a few years to see if it is a sexy in production mode as the concept photos.
    Lots of good points here. Change out the AT fluid every 40k-60k. Keep up on all normal maintenance ( I am much more proactive about doing stuff than Volvo recommends) and the car could run for a long time.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    11,370
    That's a great fucking car but its boring as shit. Just buy the new X5M and put 555 ponies in the garage.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,237
    Quote Originally Posted by commonlaw View Post
    That's a great fucking car but its boring as shit. Just buy the new X5M and put 555 ponies in the garage.
    Got to drive an X6 M on the track. Scary fucking automobile.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    River City
    Posts
    2,384
    Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    There it is, my V70R has 145k on it now and at this point I am redoing everything possible to keep it in "like a new car shape". The pictures of the V90CC (Cross Country) have me thinking that maybe the replacement car for my VR, but I will just have to wait a few years to see if it is a sexy in production mode as the concept photos.
    Lots of good points here. Change out the AT fluid every 40k-60k. Keep up on all normal maintenance ( I am much more proactive about doing stuff than Volvo recommends) and the car could run for a long time.
    I sold my V70R at 142K because it was nickel and diming me. Plus, the angle gear went out under warranty at about 70K and I sure as fuck didn't want to pay for that repair on my own if it happened again... It was an awesome car but too temperamental as time went on. I don't know if the XC's use the same angle gear, but that shit was a poor design!

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    5,071
    dunno man, a Volvo wagon might subject you to a part of The Pantsuit Effect: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...-A-Trip-Report

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    TennesseeJed
    Posts
    10,347
    I've had a X5M, they suck. The tires suck. The engine sucks. Not fast. Car made money, so whatever.

    "Fast" SUVs are dumb. You basically make the automobile bad at being a "sports car" and a SUV.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

    Brain dead and made of money.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    16,772
    Quote Originally Posted by 1080Rider View Post
    I sold my V70R at 142K because it was nickel and diming me. Plus, the angle gear went out under warranty at about 70K and I sure as fuck didn't want to pay for that repair on my own if it happened again... It was an awesome car but too temperamental as time went on. I don't know if the XC's use the same angle gear, but that shit was a poor design!
    I hear ya. I had to pay for the angel and collar gear replacement last year, fuckin ooouuuuucccchhh!!! But the way I look at it is any car I like is at least a $500 a month car payment (even used). That said, as long as the V70R remains reliable and less than $5k a year in repairs, why not keep it, as I love the car and where else can I buy an AWD wagon that size with a manual trans and close to 300hp?
    I am not an SUV kind of guy, so if I didn't have the VR, I would likely buy the XC70 like the OP.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Fort Front Range
    Posts
    1,588
    Ive got a 2011 and havent had any problems, save replacing a battery last month.

    Its a comfortable car and has plenty of power. It doesnt handle well and brakes as would be expected for a heavy vehicle.

    I dont really give a shit about cars other than them getting me from here to there, so the boring thing is not a problem for me, but the flip side of that is that the thing attracts zero attention. Ive been in situations where my previous 335i would have gotten me a ticket and the cops dont even budge. Its like its got a cloaking device.
    In with the 9.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •