Anyone know anything about the skis in my cover photo? Here's what I know:

184cm
    117mm
    split-tail
    light for their size
    very stiff
    traditional camber
    tag says they're "Prototype Carbon Fiber DB Skis"

The tips are really chewed up - maybe a big delam job? Also, there are holes in the tips and rope 'handles' tied through them. The tag describes them as "custom tip rocker straps!"

I figure they're at least over a decade old. Drakeboinay dissolved in 2004.

Do does anyone know anything? What I have gotten myself into?

^^^ dude, you're on a cover photo?!?
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    ^^^ dude, you're on a cover photo?!?
    blerg... I'm a fucking jong.

I mean the pic on my profile page. New member so I can't put links or photos in my posts. It was the only way to share a picture of the skis in question.

These ones?

Anything to do with the Drake from DPS, maybe?

Google up the DB Tabla Rasa and see if those look like your skis.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Google up the DB Tabla Rasa and see if those look like your skis.
    Yep. There we go. Thanks.

Also, does anyone have any idea when the new user prohibition on posting links/photos ends?

Send a PM to Rontele.

DBS eventually became DPS. That particular model was too stiff and suffered from delam problems as I recall. Early carbon construction technology.
    Remember Goode skis? Very similar.
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

In fact, Goode made a fair number of those Tabla Rasas for DBS. That partnership didn't end so well.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by DropCliffsNotBombs View Post
    That particular model was too stiff and suffered from delam problems as I recall.
    Thanks. That matches these skis. Wicked stiff and with a big tip-delam repair job.

Know anything about the mounting point? It looks like the former owner mounted them with dynafits according to a "riser center" mark done in Sharpie. But that put their boot toe about 2" ahead of CC, which seems odd for a stiff powder ski. Unless they were measuring from the deepest point of the split-tail, which also seems wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rogers View Post
    Thanks. That matches these skis. Wicked stiff and with a big tip-delam repair job.

Know anything about the mounting point? It looks like the former owner mounted them with dynafits according to a "riser center" mark done in Sharpie. But that put their boot toe about 2" ahead of CC, which seems odd for a stiff powder ski. Unless they were measuring from the deepest point of the split-tail, which also seems wrong.
    I would probably mount them with 4-5 shot glasses and call it good.

I know couple of people that rode those sticks to the death...and loved them to the literal bits. Apparently they were good in pow (albeit stiff) but they were The Trucking ski in variable (euro) conditions. I think some euro dude (Glisseur?) had them in La Grave for several years, you could send a PM to him. He knows his shit with skis so you would get the exact beta for the mounting position from him.
    I personally tried to get a hold of a pair back in the days but never managed to score one. Pity.

Let us know how the babies ski when you get to use them!

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Quote Originally Posted by Meathelmet View Post
    I think some euro dude (Glisseur?) had them in La Grave for several years, you could send a PM to him.
    Since I have his old pair and are still using 'em...

When I got them from glisseur I had some contact with Mr Drake who informed me that their original midsole was 76.5cm from the tail, measured along the base, on these skis.
    Length was not 184 but 186.
    If you like flat, stiff skis without a speed limit these are very good.

Not sure if your ski is the 2003/04 model, or the 2004/05 model, or a mid-season prototype.

2003/04 DrakeBoinay Tabla Rasa flex3
    length=186cm
    radius=44.5m
    142-118-125
    1800g per ski
    Swallowtail. Despite fat width, its high lateral and torsional rigidity make it shine on ice/firm. Double-thick edge metal. Strong carbon core (so if you want to soften it up, you'll need to beat the hell out of it for years).

The 2004/05 model was pretty much same as 2003/04 above, except they added 2mm width to waist and tail, and started offering a softer flex2 in addition to the flex3.

Back then, Telepath said, out of all skis ever built by mankind, he wished he could ski the Tabla Rasa flex2 every day (although no jibbing, and not focused on groomers)---and the only reason he didn't was because Atomic paid him to ski BigDaddy (which was his 3rd favorite ski at the time, behind #1 TableRasa and #2 Head m103).

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin I View Post
    Not sure if your ski is the 2003/04 model, or the 2004/05 model, or a mid-season prototype.

length=186cm
    radius=44.5m
    142-118-125
    1800g per ski
    Those are some good dims.
    I know you can't tell everything from dimensions but those are very similar to two of my favorite skis evar:

DPS Lotus 120 Flex3: 140-120-125

PMGear LhasaPow Fat: 144-117-125.5

Full circle?

Not surprising - the Lotus is essentially the offspring of the TR.

^^^ yep, i would like to get on a pair of Tabla Rasas.

Quote Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
    When I got them from glisseur I had some contact with Mr Drake who informed me that their original midsole was 76.5cm from the tail, measured along the base, on these skis.
    Length was not 184 but 186.
    Awesome! Thanks. I've been trading emails with the folks at DPS and they reported that Stephan says he skied his at 75.5cm from the tail. Either # puts the boot a fair bit back from where their former owner mounted hem.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin I View Post

length=186cm
    radius=44.5m
    142-118-125
    The dims on the ski I have are 142-118-125, so I'd guess I have an 03/04 model. Looks like I've got a stiff charger of a ski here. I'll put some dynafits onto them and try to hang on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rogers View Post
    Awesome! Thanks. I've been trading emails with the folks at DPS and they reported that Stephan says he skied his at 75.5cm from the tail. Either # puts the boot a fair bit back from where their former owner mounted hem.
    They do look and feel a little backmounted until you get up to speed and will probably be easier to ski at below mach1 with a forward mount.
    But they are not built to go slow. There are better skis for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Meathelmet View Post
    Let us know how the babies ski when you get to use them!
    Here's a report: These skis rock.

I mounted them with ST 2.0s at 76cm from tail. Skied them w/ TX-Pros in Whistler, UT, WY, and Japan, both BC and lift-served. I'm 6'2"/165.
    While the skis feels real stiff when hand flexing it (stiffer than my CMH Explosivs or Mantras), I found it really easy to ski. I'm sure conditions/terrain helped -- generally, I skied these in fresh powder in (mostly) widely spaced trees.

In short, these skis are brilliant -- stable, responsive, and light. They went where I told them to, always stayed underneath me, and got better when I went faster. I'd love to take them into some steeper and more open terrain to see what happens when there's more room to run.

I have 2 pairs of db Tabla Rasas, and am still skiing both of them. The older bulb nose like you have is one of my favorite skis of all time. My Gen 2 bulletnose Tabla also gets out, but less often. I vastly prefer them to my dps Lotuses (bamboo sidewall 192 stiffies). Due to their construction the TRs don't really wear out, both my pairs still have tons of pop despite being totally abused over the years. They do delam like crazy, but I've held them together with rivets and JB weld and they still ski fine.

The only comparable new ski in my quiver I like as much as my trusty Tablas are my carbon Katanas.

Quote Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
    Since I have his old pair and are still using 'em...
    Wait, the one mounted on the wall of the K2 bar in La Grave isn't Glisseur's?