Thread: prp

prp

Hi there,
    I am a avid climber. I started having pain in my elbow and took 6 months off to rehab but it is still hurting. I finally got an MRI with showed intermediate tendonosis of the distal biceps. I am going to have PRP and/or stem cell therapy. My problem is that prime climbing season is starting. I'm trying to decide if I should do it now and have to take a few months off for the recover or wait until the colder months. Does anyone know if it would do significantly more damage by climbing on it one more season?
    Thanks!

I had the same injury, but from skinning.

I had prp injections, twice, and it healed perfectly.

You will not have to take time off from climbing more than a few days.
    Rest wil help your climbing anyway.

prp

Thanks for the info. Did you need it twice because you injured it on two separate occasions or the first time just didn't work well enough? How long between the two sessions?

Sorry for the late reply.
    Did it twice because first time it did not do enough. I've been pain free for a couple of years.

I nursed myself through a rotator cuff and a double tendon tear but with the angst of that lingering feeling of 'I should have had the surgery and this weakness/instability acts like it's never going to heal.' The bicep tendon didn't rip all the way but was weak as hell and hurt when lifting supinated. Did one round of stem cells w/prp and a couple followup prp's. On one occasion, I got prp injected directly into my bicep tendon. It was trippy to watch the twang of it palpitating as the needle went right into the tendon. Doc said that because there is no blood supply in the tendon that it probably wouldn't have much effect. I felt like I had nothing to lose and told her to go for it. An unbelievable healing occurred for me. It has continued to heal over the years. I work it more (hanging, rotations and pushups) and it gets stronger with time. You might already know that I'm a huge fan of stem cells and prp. It saved my knee, hip and shoulder from going the path of injury degeneration and brought me back from the other side. I cannot imagine anything more beneficial for all these injuries if you are looking to avoid the knife. If I could afford it, I'd be a stem cell junkie.

If you really want to heal, take some time off. Time heals all wounds.
    Stem cells and prp exponentially increase and accelerate your ability to heal better stronger and faster.
    But it's not the pop tart instant gratification everyone wants so they can ski on a broken leg next weekend.
    How long would you be out to heal from surgery?
    Yeah....

My main climbing partner got PRP for some debilitating tendinosis of the elbow. 2 rounds of PRP, about 1 year apart. He took off 1 month after each injection. It did wonders for him. He went from having to take 2-3 days of rest after every 2 hour session in the gym to being able to climb 3 days in a row.

What type of stem cells have people had luck with?