Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Great Smoky Mtn Nat'l Park car camping - need recs

Our family (kids 7 and 9) will be camping in the Great Smoky Mtn Nat'l Park for a few days. We've never been there. Looking for recs on campgrounds. We tent camp and like scenic areas and do not like to be near RVs. So I guess we like more primitive camping, but with the kids we don't like to be too far from civilization. We're planning to do some short day hikes with the kids and just sightseeing. Any suggestions on which campground would be nice? Or other suggestions on hiking etc? I've done some google research, but thought I'd check in here for recs.

Also, in case you have thoughts/suggestions... we will be driving down through Shenandoah Nat'l park and the Blue Ridge Parkway. We are not from the east, and never been to the area. Thinking we will take two days for this - get a hotel somewhere along the way, then hotel in Asheville the next night, then head into the park to camp the next morning. Any highlights we shouldn't miss?
    Thanks!

You might like Balsam Mountain campground.It is high enough,around 5000',. to be cool in the summer.It is quite small,so no big rv's.Many of the people there came year after year,and it was very friendly
    picador

Abrams Falls is a pretty good long stroll for kids that age and sees a good bit of traffic but it's totally worth it. Picnicking and swimming at the falls would be a great way to spend one of your days in the park.

Climbing the old fire tower on Mt Sterling would be another really nice day. It's a steep hike up there for sure but is fairly short and the views on a clear day are pretty fantastic. If memory serves, that part of the park sees a bit less traffic than others so you might get a little more solitude there than you would on some other worthwhile trails.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Don't know if TNKen still posts here but he lives down that way.

Because of the crowds, I don't frequent the Smokies. Have some friends that work down there on bike patrol in the Cades Cove area, but they drag a camper down. Aside from that, beautiful area.

Asheville is a neat place and has turned into the brew capital of the southeast in terms of beer. If you have time, might want to do a tour. Not sure about the kids.

The Park is full of black bears. There are three kinds of bears. Wild bears that run from you, trash can bears that interact with humans but still run away, and panhandlers. Panhandlers interact with people and will not run. Most folks get hurt by panhandlers, and my guess is that this is the case here.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Dang, hadn't seen that. Everything I've been reading says bears are very active right now. We'll be there in two weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post
    Because of the crowds, I don't frequent the Smokies. Have some friends that work down there on bike patrol in the Cades Cove area, but they drag a camper down. Aside from that, beautiful area.

Asheville is a neat place and has turned into the brew capital of the southeast in terms of beer. If you have time, might want to do a tour. Not sure about the kids.

The Park is full of black bears. There are three kinds of bears. Wild bears that run from you, trash can bears that interact with humans but still run away, and panhandlers. Panhandlers interact with people and will not run. Most folks get hurt by panhandlers, and my guess is that this is the case here.
    I am not excited at all about the crowds. In my recent research I came across that this is the most visited Nat'l Park. I guess that makes sense since it is near large population centers. This will probably be our only time in the "area" so now is the time for us/the kids to visit. Will just have to deal with the crowds I guess. And hopefully have no encounters with bears. I'm not really of fan of that.

If I may, I'd suggest a re-route. From Asheville, go south to visit Brevard. 26 to 280. Have dinner at Hobknob, then head north up 276. Campground on the right a few miles up. Looking Glass Falls the next day. Don't miss swimming behind the falls(leave the kids out of this). Then, north to 23/71 to 441, into Cherokee. Set up camp, then scramble up to the AT and hike out to Charlie's Bunion. It's a decent hike with the kids, nothing they won't be able to handle. Just FYI, it's a bitching trail run. Enjoy!

Edit: Smokies aren't so bad during the Summer. Definitely want to go mid-week, and try to stay out of Cade's Cove. Also, Gatlinburg is a shitshow on the weekends. Looking Glass trumps all the falls in the Smokies, IMHO.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

^^^ thanks for the info - we'll look at doing your suggestions! Luckily our timing works out that we'll be there during the week, camping Mon-Thurs nights. So hopefully that helps a bit with crowds. Appreciate the tips, we'll definitely look at your re-route.

We will avoid Cade's Cove for sure.

Also, nobody brought this up yet, but hiking in the Smokies in June?? Not ideal. There are definitely some scenic drives that you could do to get more of an appreciation for the area. Say, maybe center the trip around swimming holes? 64/74 up to 129 is a route not many know about, but there are ample opportunities to get wet. End it by going back up 321 to The Y and The Sinks. Your kids will love it!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...Tennessee.html

Quote Originally Posted by BS720 View Post
    Also, nobody brought this up yet, but hiking in the Smokies in June?? Not ideal. There are definitely some scenic drives that you could do to get more of an appreciation for the area. Say, maybe center the trip around swimming holes? 64/74 up to 129 is a route not many know about, but there are ample opportunities to get wet. End it by going back up 321 to The Y and The Sinks. Your kids will love it!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...Tennessee.html
    Do you mean because it is too hot? Thanks for all the info. Feeling pretty clueless on this.

Too hot, too many mosquitoes, too much humidity. I've done Charlie's Bunion in April, and it still had snow on it. By June, you're really toeing the line. Right this minute, it looks manageable. It could be over 100 degrees by next week, though. I'd just make sure your vehicle is good to go, and keep plans flexible. Think more about tubing and water fun than about hiking. Also, for the park experience without the crowd, I'll throw in Obed and Big South Fork. Lot's to do, no crowd, almost no regulation. Just don't drink a beer near a bridge.

Balsom mountain is about 20 deg cooler.The rest is too hot for me.but so is most everywhere else within a thousand miles.You can call the park and get the temperatures at each campground
    picador

Quote Originally Posted by jon gaper View Post
    Balsom mountain is about 20 deg cooler.The rest is too hot for me.but so is most everywhere else within a thousand miles.You can call the park and get the temperatures at each campground
    This sounds like me... so yeah, I'm realizing I'm going to have to suck it up in the heat and humidity. Checked out BS720's rec's and those look fantastic. But I am still considering Balsom Mtn just for the cooler temps. Being a northerner I kind of forgot how hot it can get even in June down south. Fuck. Heat, humidity, crowds. I am going to have to bring my A game in the patience dept.

Similar to TNKen, I consider myself a local yokel. I usually do a few nights a year in the Smokies, tent camping with the family. Elkmont is my go-to, there are plenty of RVs, but there are also plenty of tent-only sites. It should also be pretty quiet mid-week. The Little River flows through the campground and is a refreshing way to cool off from that oppressive TN humidity. My 3 year old and I were there Memorial Day weekend enjoying some road-side repurposed tractor/truck inner tubes in 58F water, nice.

As others have said, if you're going to be in Western NC, there are far more unique and secluded options. Tsali is a USFS area on Fontana Lake that has good trails for MTB as well as camping. Right up the road is the Nantahala River - almost endless possibilities for overnighting, class II/III whitewater, decent beer, river-trash-dirtbags (I mean that in an endearing way), etc. If you're on the Parkway, lot's of cool stuff in the Asheville, Black Mountain area - Mt. Mitchell is the highest point on the east coast, 6,600'+. Further north up the parkway, more options in Linville, hiking/climbing in Linville Gorge, tons of dispersed camping, hiking on Grandfather Mountain are a few.

Hope you enjoy your trip, despite the stereotypes associated with the South, western NC and eastern TN do have plenty to offer those who are looking to get off the beaten path, see some mountains, swim in cold rivers, drink local craft beer, and so on.
    water is the driving force of all nature

Wow, scary story out of GSMNP. Wonder what's got the black bear all fired up?

http://www.11alive.com/story/news/na...osed/28697913/
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Wow, scary story out of GSMNP. Wonder what's got the black bear all fired up?

http://www.11alive.com/story/news/na...osed/28697913/
    Posted this yesterday like 3rd post in the thread.

Posted this yesterday like 3rd post in the thread.
    Heh. Didn't read. Worth another look?
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Heh. Didn't read. Worth another look?
    oh without question worth another look. Don't recall if it said how long they'd have the parks closed, but if I had kids and knew there was an attack on a kid that didnt even have a candy bar in his pocket or something i'd be wary.

I hammock camp on occasion and my group of friends and I always joke about hammock campers as being "bear burritos". Guess its not too far from the truth...Hope the kid comes out relatively unscathed aside from the few scars and total mental aspect of it. His parents must feel horrible, not that they couldve known.

oh without question worth another look. Don't recall if it said how long they'd have the parks closed, but if I had kids and knew there was an attack on a kid that didnt even have a candy bar in his pocket or something i'd be wary.

I hammock camp on occasion and my group of friends and I always joke about hammock campers as being "bear burritos". Guess its not too far from the truth...Hope the kid comes out relatively unscathed aside from the few scars and total mental aspect of it. His parents must feel horrible, not that they couldve known.
    I am pretty wary of this and all the warnings of "bears are very active in the park right now." Came across another story (Cosby campground I think) of a couple who had pulled into camp late, set up, got in tent, neighbor shouts over that there's a bear in the area. So they get out, bear is 20 ft. away, they back away and get to car. Bear proceeds to the tent trying to paw in! I don't need that shit. Kids would freak. (I would be shitting my pants trying to remain calm.) I mean, I always have the bear spray handy, but not sure how effective it would be. Piss em off more?

I am way on the south side of the area, never much for camping, car or otherwise, but the folks where I live who are into it swear by standing indian just west of franklin nc. I've been there once, think +-1st week of june and was not hot at all. App. trail runs through.
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by hikesalot View Post
    I am pretty wary of this and all the warnings of "bears are very active in the park right now." Came across another story (Cosby campground I think) of a couple who had pulled into camp late, set up, got in tent, neighbor shouts over that there's a bear in the area. So they get out, bear is 20 ft. away, they back away and get to car. Bear proceeds to the tent trying to paw in! I don't need that shit. Kids would freak. (I would be shitting my pants trying to remain calm.) I mean, I always have the bear spray handy, but not sure how effective it would be. Piss em off more?
    Just use good camp practices. Keep things clean. Maybe cook a bit away from tent. Easy reliable food will always bring them back. Check the kids pockets at night. Wash up real good before bed. Remember it's THEIR woods, we are just visiting.

Safe travels and I'm sure you'll be just fine.

Having just perused the NSFW thread, perhaps bring a banjo?
    I see hydraulic turtles.

If you have any time in the Shenandoah area, Hiking down the Camp Hoover from Skyline Drive is nice. Follows the Rapidan River which is an awesome little brook trout stream if you're into fly fishing. I did the hike when I was 10 or 11 so it's probably doable for the kiddos. Wandering around the old presidential camp is kinda neat.
    "...no hobby should either seek or need rational justification. To find reasons why it is useful or beneficial converts it at once from an avocation into an industry, lowers it at once to the ignominious category of an exercise undertaken for health, power or profit."
    -Aldo Leopold

Some good advice in here.

The areas nearest Cherokee and Fontana Dam tended, at least in my several backpacking visits, to be least crowded.

Cruiser suggested Mt. Sterling. This is a good rec.
    "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning".

-Scottish Proverb